Teddy

Clive Dunn

Clive Dunn must deserve some sort of honour. He appeared as no1 in the 1987 list, and is still in there at 50 in this years list. Perhaps he is only hanging on for spite, in the hope that he drops off next year - and then can drop off for good.

Well this needs a bit of reserach for a full answer, but Teddy you are absolutely right.

It was me who insisted that Clive Dunn be included on the first DeathList in 1987 and Ive been keenly sticking by him ever since. Even though its starting to look as if he might be immortal I'll be voting for him every year.

Guest Phil Triggs

Do nominees express their displeasure at being included on this venerable listing?

Well, I would guess one way of displaying their displeasure is by not playing along, although looking back, quite a few seem to have got into the spirit of things last year and made it a record breaker.

Well Phil, we have never been contacted by anyone who has ever been on DeathList - I would imagine that some candidates might (understandably) not take it in the spirit that it is intended, but as Teddy suggests - actions speak louder than words :D

Hey Phil, or can I call you Clive?

A celebrity endorsement would be most welcome. It would help to silence some of the critics and no doubt help the PR machine.

BTW can we get a more recent photo:

cdunn_08.jpg

Found this photo of Clive from 1998 - he seems to be getting younger. Maybe he is going to live forever!

daas_con02.jpg

PS - Clive is on the right!

Wow, he is looking younger and great for 82. Perhaps he has the eilixir of life. No chance there for this year I would hazard. Perhaps we should be swapping that parrot for Clive on the list instead.

I'm not even going ask who the guy on the left is. I thought it was Dean Tavalouris from the League of Gentlemen: "maghik" :D

Dear Phil and others

We've neve had direct contact with a nominee but we did get a threatening email from Lord Scarman's grand-daughter Aimee

I have it framed

Mr Stats

Anyway, whilst Stats is off, busy polishing his trophy, and given that this thread is now about Clive...

Clive has settled in the Algarve, according to his crafty flirtation with Saga magazine, c.1992. Silver surfers have been flocking there ever since, impacting the local wine prices.

http://home.btconnect.com/howejam/dadsarmy...issionspeak.htm

"Why has he chosen to settle in the Algarve? "The weather is a major attraction, " he says, filling our glasses with delicious £1-a-bottle white wine."It is the best climate in Europe. The Portuguese people are invariably pleasant and tolerant, the cost of living is about the same as England, and the wine is so cheap it could become an alcoholic's paradise. Fish, meat, petrol, and electricity are expensive and I would say a car is essential, but given care it is possible to live cheaply. "We're told that a lot of British residents have returned home due to rising prices, but there are still many of them here. It is a wonderful place for sporty people with all the golf; tennis, swimming and boating you could want. I play golf and tennis once a week, tomorrow I'm horse riding, occasionally I go fishing in my glass fibre boat."

This lifestyle is his elixir and it does seem to be paying off. No fuel bills or cold, flu bearing weather in the UK to worry about and plenty of £1 bottles of wine. All this since being dmobbed from Croft & Perry's sitcom army in 1892.

I heard he was joining Eastenders as Derek's long lost father resulting in a good old cockney knees up, jellied eels...etc....

Mort, are you serious about Clive and Eastenders? If so, where did you read?

Well, it's good to see that 4donkeys didn't have anything to say about dear old Clive. Safe for a bit longer then.

Guest Four Donkeys of the Apocolypse

Ah ha! And you thoght I would miss him. Well I haven't but because he's such an inconsequential entity I won't bother........sorry Clive, keep swilling those bottles of cheapo collapso though.

About him getting younger , perhaps he is seeing Anne Robinson's plastic surgeon and make-up artist , Dr. Smith (please don't ask how i know the name of her make-up artist).

Guest Ed

Could his next big chart success - apart from on here - be 'Grand(e)ad'? :lol:

Rumours abound here in the states that Clive is due to appear as a guest on the sitcom "Just Shoot Me" as a means to fulfill the promise of their title.

Just kidding... Or dreaming. :lol:

I notice that one of the private collections is held by Michael Elphick - I wonder if she got them back upon his demise?

Guest VSBfromH

I always recall with mirth a laughable article in one of the Sunday crapsheets entitled someting like "The Curse of Dad's Army" which detailed how the cast were all dropping like flies.

Apart from James Beck (Private Walker) who died of a burst pancreas at the age of 44, the others all seemed to do pretty well, viz:

Arthur Lowe: 66, stroke

John Le Mesurier: 71, cirrhosis of the liver

Clive Dunn: still going strong!

John Laurie: 83, emphysema & lung ailment

Arnold Ridley (bless him!): 88, old age (presumably)

Ian Lavender: Born 1946, currently annoying us in 'stenders

Bill Pertwee: Born 1926, doing much better than cousin Jon

Frank Williams (Vicar): Born 1931, apparently still with us

Edward Sinclair (Verger): 63

Another case of our esteemed press having nothing better to write about, obviously!