Grim Reaper

Oscar Niemeyer

Guest Guest
This is the place to discuss Oscar Niemeyer

INDEED. Oscar is such a doll of a person, we all think of him as a master-beater (of course!). His cousin, to begin, thinks he is a major fake, but his cousin is a sorts of a bum, so, why bother, just talk to him in Ipanema Beach, Rio, Brazil and you'll be amazed.

But you will be most amazed by his buildings, works-of-art-only, not to be used, like his buddy' s, Le Corbusier said: La maison c'est la machine a vivre, a house is a living machine.

Try living in an armored concrete building in the tropics, where temperatures may raise to 40degrees centigrade, in a normal summer day, and stay over night. And by the next few days on till rains and the water comes rushing in, case I witnessed in one of his school buildings around.

Oscar couldn' t care the least, down there below may even be warmer, they say.

So, lets enjoy aesthetics, as a good comunist, by riding a nice white Mercedes Benz 300D Special, white leather interior, driven by a black chauffeur. Why not, they are neuter aren' t they? I mean the colours, dildo minded reader...

Nevertheless, people has managed this grand fascist adolfo tropical, by daring to live in Brasilia, DF, capital of Brazil, despite the great inventor of local housing. Local population has grown so much that most now stay four days in town and the long weak-end somewhere else. Local politicians only return to work at senate and congress housings on late mondays or tuesdays; they say that are with their home-based constituency in states etc. I say, they want to get away from Brasília, and get paid as well. Naturaly.

So let him go beyond. Fast Before more harm is done.

Requiescat ad locuum tuum.

Guest Brazilian

Oscar Niemeyer, the Great

Oscar Niemeyer is the greatest architect Brazil has ever had, he is a genius, he designed Brasilia, a truly beautiful city, his buildings are a perfect mix of functinality and beauty. Everybody should visit Brasilia, because there stands the buildings he designed

The UN has declared Brasilia a World Heritage Site for a reason, and the reason is that Brasilia was the greatest creation of Oscar. He is renowned world over.

I hope he lives to 110.

Everybody should visit Brasilia, because there stands the buildings he designed

I prefer Argentina, as Portuguese is too difficult a language to incorporate into my Latin schooling. :(

........ Portuguese is too difficult a language to incorporate into my Latin schooling.  :D

Portuguese is a crazy language. Sounds like Russian to me!

Oscar still working at 97 (Born 15th December 1907)

(Brazilian @ Jan 11 2005, 09:57 PM)

Everybody should visit Brasilia, because there stands the buildings he designed

Save yourself the journey - some nice pictures here.

Guest fawnes from Parid

Oscar has designed the headquarters of rge French Communist Party, place du Colonel Fabien at the North-East of the capital. It is possible to visit it, just ask. Some travel agencies include yhos visit in their tours. Needs to be seen.

Guest Hussein_tx

Huahuahua

Portuguese its like espanish... it same thing

ehehehe

And Argentina SUX!

Guest Brazucão

Oscar Niemeyer was a revolutionay genious. The kind of stuff he made in the 60´s just doesn´t fit in those years, they are many decades ahead of their time.

Todey he´s just a regular old grampa living in a nice house made by himself.

Brasilia is pretty neat, but it has many social problems that you can see all around the country. But it´s architecture is very nice.

And argentinians are a bunch of fools who really think they can play soccer (Maradona is no god, he´s an old junkye who scored with his hand in the game of his life)...

And also, spanish speakers can´t understand portuguese, while portuguese speakers can even speak spanish. Who can explain that?!?

And also, spanish speakers can´t understand portuguese, while portuguese speakers can even speak spanish. Who can explain that?!?

Well most Dutch people can speak English. As can many Scots.

Enough said. Probably.

I've been working recently with Portugese and Spanish-speaking people and I noticed that they tend to converse in Spanish (or English). What our friend was trying to say, I think, was that Portuguese people, without necessarily learning the language, can understand spoken Spanish more easily than vice versa.

I imagine it's similar with the Danes/Norwegians/Swedes, or with German/Dutch, but I'm sure Hein could help us out here.

I suppose having a mother tongue that hardly anyone else speaks, is more likely to make people learn a foreign language or two.

I suppose having a mother tongue that hardly anyone else speaks, is more likely to make people learn a foreign language or two.

Portuguese is the 7th most widely spoken language in the world with 170,000,000 native speakers.

Admittedly there are more Spanish and English speakers, not to mention Chinese, but it's hardly hardly anyone else.

Yes fair enough, I meant, not widely spoken outside Brazil and Portugal (and Mozambique, and Angola ... oh I give up) :unsure:

I imagine it's similar with the Danes/Norwegians/Swedes, or with German/Dutch, but I'm sure Hein could help us out here.

Dutch and German are closely related. If you know one, you can understand the other. The standard versions of the languages differ quite a bit in grammar, pronunciation and word meanings. However, the northern dialects of German are very close to the eastern dialects of Dutch and mutually understandable.

regards,

Hein

Guest One Man Jury
Dutch and German are closely related.

Only the language though. Remember the punch up between 1940 and 1944.

Dutch and German are closely related. If you know one, you can understand the other. The standard versions of the languages differ quite a bit in grammar, pronunciation and word meanings. However, the northern dialects of German are very close to the eastern dialects of Dutch and mutually understandable.

regards,

Hein

Here in the West of Germany right next to the Southern Dutch border the dialects on either side are mutually understandable. If I go to the Junkyard in Venlo I can speak German to the chap there and he will understand me and I can easily follow his dialect too.

PS: Is that really how you spell "Corinthians" in Holland?

And no, I am not the same person as Mr Josco, and also not married to him. <_<

The Dutch won't forget that unfortunate episode easily.

That said, the close relationship between the Dutch and German languages is a reflection of the close genetic relationship between the Dutch and German peoples. As a matter of fact, quite a few of my ancestors were German.

regards,

Hein

Guest One Man Jury

The Dutch won't forget that unfortunate episode easily.

That said, the close relationship between the Dutch and German languages is a reflection of the close genetic relationship between the Dutch and German peoples. As a matter of fact, quite a few of my ancestors were German.

regards,

Hein

Hein.

Interesting. I'm not going to open up the old debate about collaborators and if Max Schmeling was or wasn't............. oh blow, I just have.

Here in the West of Germany right next to the Southern Dutch border the dialects on either side are mutually understandable. If I go to the Junkyard in Venlo I can speak German to the chap there and he will understand me and I can easily follow his dialect too.

I used to live in Heerlen, a town often invaded by German shoppers, and had the same experience there.

PS: Is that really how you spell "Corinthians" in Holland?

No, it's spelled 'Korinthiërs' in Dutch. The Dutch translation of that verse reads: "Dood, waar is uw prikkel? Hel, waar is uw overwinning?"

regards,

Hein

Interesting. I'm not going to open up the old debate about collaborators and if Max Schmeling was or wasn't............. oh blow, I just have.

It's not something I'm proud of, but the fact is that both my parents and all my grandparents were collaborators, varying from being members of the Dutch Nazi party to taking up political positions under the Nazi regime and joining the SS. After the liberation they all received prison sentences from a few months to several years.

regards,

Hein

Guest One Man Jury

It's not something I'm proud of, but the fact is that both my parents and all my grandparents were collaborators, varying from being members of the Dutch Nazi party to taking up political positions under the Nazi regime and joining the SS. After the liberation they all received prison sentences from a few months to several years.

regards,

Hein

I suppose it's called rolling with the times. If the Germans had arrived in the UK, I guess much of the same would have happened here too, regardless of what that drunk Churchill said.

It's not something I'm proud of, but the fact is that both my parents and all my grandparents were collaborators [...]

I suppose it's called rolling with the times. If the Germans had arrived in the UK, I guess much of the same would have happened here too, regardless of what that drunk Churchill said.

I think what happened during the occupation of the Channel Islands shows what would have happened if Britain would have been conquered: some collaborated, some resisted and most people tried to get on with their lives, exactly what happened in occupied Europe.

Of course, in hindsight things look different than when you're in it. In 1940 few people expected that the Nazi's would be beaten eventually.

regards,

Hein

It's not something I'm proud of, but the fact is that both my parents and all my grandparents were collaborators [...]

I think what happened during the occupation of the Channel Islands shows what would have happened if Britain would have been conquered: some collaborated, some resisted and most people tried to get on with their lives, exactly what happened in occupied Europe.

Of course, in hindsight things look different than when you're in it. In 1940 few people expected that the Nazi's would be beaten eventually.

regards,

Hein

I can't recall the exact phrase, or be bothered to look it up but:

History is written by the victor.

I remember reading The Victor. Damn fine stories of the heroism of clean living chaps.

victor_comic_A1.jpg

Not the most reliable historical source, but if you say so Mr Josco

I remember reading The Victor. Damn fine stories of the heroism of clean living chaps.

victor_comic_A1.jpg

Not the most reliable historical source, but if you say so Mr Josco

Excellent, I've just sprayed tea over my keyboard.

Excellent, I've just sprayed tea over my keyboard.

Please don't tell me that's a euphemism....

As for the Victor comic, perhaps we should get a few copies of Commando comics to send to Kraut....

comndo.jpg

Gott in himmel, achtung etc.....