The Great Cornholio

Keir Starmer

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Not a lot of laughs as usual as he speaks in Glasgow.

Looks like he's woken up to idea of a ceasefire between Israel and Palestine. Took him long enough.

Unfortunately he's congratulated Sarwar and Baillie for their tremendous leadership in Scotland. They are possibly two of the worst performers I have ever seen, still dug in to their belief that Labour have the divine right to seats in Scotland. If anything, if the rest of the country votes Labour, Scotland needs somebody else. What he doesn't understand is that Scotland doesn't need yesmen to London run Labour. We all remember how Labour First Ministers said yes to policies designed for Middle England being imposed on Scotland.

Labour if it needs Scotland might get it by default. But what it needs to do imo is to have a design for Scotland different from the needs of Milton Keynes, Manchester or Swansea. And that means breaking from his idiotic clinging to a Union idea that what is best for those places is best for Scotland.

Welcome to Glesca, how long will he spend here in Scotland? Bet he's out of the country in hours.

The problem is giving Scotland special powers doesn’t often go down well electorally outside of Scotland. Remember the Tories found considerable success in 2015 campaigning on the fear of an SNP deal with Labour and people outside of Scotland don’t follow the polling figures enough to not believe that is possible again. 

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Not a lot of laughs as usual as he speaks in Glasgow.

Looks like he's woken up to idea of a ceasefire between Israel and Palestine. Took him long enough.

Unfortunately he's congratulated Sarwar and Baillie for their tremendous leadership in Scotland. They are possibly two of the worst performers I have ever seen, still dug in to their belief that Labour have the divine right to seats in Scotland. If anything, if the rest of the country votes Labour, Scotland needs somebody else. What he doesn't understand is that Scotland doesn't need yesmen to London run Labour. We all remember how Labour First Ministers said yes to policies designed for Middle England being imposed on Scotland.

Labour if it needs Scotland might get it by default. But what it needs to do imo is to have a design for Scotland different from the needs of Milton Keynes, Manchester or Swansea. And that means breaking from his idiotic clinging to a Union idea that what is best for those places is best for Scotland.

Welcome to Glesca, how long will he spend here in Scotland? Bet he's out of the country in hours.

We need a proper federal system in this country in my opinion, just like Germany or Spain. Scotland has different needs from the rest of the UK, but so does the North of England from the south, and the West Country from the South East. Local government in this country is a confusing mess with different authorities having different responsibilities. What we have now contributes to a feeling that everywhere outside of London is 'left behind' and it's only becoming worse over time. 

I also wish we had the same voting system that you Scots use to elect your parliament, which I think is also used in Germany. In fact, can't we just import the German system and call it a day?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Windsor said:

The bloke isn’t dying. Why is there a thread about him? 

Look at Page 1. The thread was made by someone who just wanted arguments all the time because he hit a cyclist with his car. He also got brutally glitterbombed a few months back. It's staggering he's still alive tbh.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

There's also a thread about Liz Truss. These threads only exist to give users a much-needed tirade against the figure in question. Or maybe to speculate on how soon sepsis will set in whenever they get a paper cut. 

In the immediate aftermath of Truss there was a reasonable argument that she could have died of embarrassment (suicide).

We all underestimated the brass neck of the woman. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

There's also a thread about Liz Truss. These threads only exist to give users a much-needed tirade against the figure in question. Or maybe to speculate on how soon sepsis will set in whenever they get a paper cut. 

In the immediate aftermath of Truss there was a reasonable argument that she could have died of embarrassment (suicide).

We all underestimated the brass neck of the woman. 

25 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The problem is giving Scotland special powers doesn’t often go down well electorally outside of Scotland. Remember the Tories found considerable success in 2015 campaigning on the fear of an SNP deal with Labour and people outside of Scotland don’t follow the polling figures enough to not believe that is possible again. 

Don't think I asked for Scotland to have special powers. 

Labour's issue and therefore Starmer's issue has always been delivering for those areas which used to vote Labour without question. The boot in the bawbags that Labour took in 2019 seems to have been disregarded in that respect - after all, they have been repeatedly kicked in their soft parts for years in Scotland.

@Sod's Law is right. Been calling for federalism for years, jeez it used to be a stand point of the Liberals. Starmer's Labour Party will not win in Scottish Parliamentary elections unless it wins in England and shows it can deliver real change.

Anyway, I'd quite like to give Labour Party a kicking on here, bit boring kicking the Tories forever. Starmer can deliver that at least. :lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Don't think I asked for Scotland to have special powers. 

Labour's issue and therefore Starmer's issue has always been delivering for those areas which used to vote Labour without question. The boot in the bawbags that Labour took in 2019 seems to have been disregarded in that respect - after all, they have been repeatedly kicked in their soft parts for years in Scotland.

@Sod's Law is right. Been calling for federalism for years, jeez it used to be a stand point of the Liberals. Starmer's Labour Party will not win in Scottish Parliamentary elections unless it wins in England and shows it can deliver real change.

Anyway, I'd quite like to give Labour Party a kicking on here, bit boring kicking the Tories forever. Starmer can deliver that at least. :lol:

I think the issue is partly that a lot of Scottish ex labour seats seem less interested in culture war politics than their English equivalents. Scottish ex Labour working class seats pretty much all voted remain in the EU by 55% or more while the English equivalents voted leave by massive majorities. 

26 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think the issue is partly that a lot of Scottish ex labour seats seem less interested in culture war politics than their English equivalents. Scottish ex Labour working class seats pretty much all voted remain in the EU by 55% or more while the English equivalents voted leave by massive majorities. 

Sources for your info please.

• Facepalm 1

32 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

We were doing culture wars here before the rest of the world knew how electorally advantageous they are. 

The greatest of all culture wars has seen the vast majority of the Scottish population try to rationalise their political voice at the ballot box over the choice of one word: Yes or No. 

You can’t criticise nationalist policy (any nationalist policy mind) without being labelled an yoon. You can’t criticise any Unionist party without being labelled a Snat. 

If you support minimum prising for alcohol you probably also support terrorists in Israel. If you support any other party except for Green or SNP you must be a Tory. 

It’s pretty pathetic.