football_fan

Zhao Ziyang – Former Communist Party Leader

The Chinese government has denied overseas media reports that Zhao Ziyang, the deposed premier and former Communist Party Leader, had died in hospital over the weekend.

His daughter, Wang Yannan reported that he had been in hospital for about a month and was "not in danger", but other unnamed sources told Reuters news agency that Mr. Zhao's state was "not good".

Purged Chinese leader in hospital

Guest Chou Yee

If he dies, he will be sadly missed. He was a reformer, who tried to implement changes to the Communist system to allow for more personal and political freedom, but was ousted for standing up to the army and opposing the crackdown on the 1989 Tinanmen Square democracy protests.

Guest Xiang L.

Zhao Ziyang was one of the few Chinese leaders who addressed the million-plus people in Tiananmen Square, as they peacefully rallied and called on the Chinese government to embrace political reform. He wept at the side of students on a hunger strike as a show of compassion that would eventually lose him his job

Guest W. Tiu

I was in Beijing during the rally and the massacre of unarmed protesters on June 4th, 1989. From what I remember, the communist party was split into two factions over how to deal with the demonstrators in Tiananmen Suqare. Li Peng, the Premier wanted to use the military and bring in tanks as a means of cracking on the students, while Zhou, the Communist Party chief, wanted to proceed with dialogue as a means for peacefully resolving the conflict. Zhou was overruled and deposed as Communist Party Chief, thus ending his political career and placed under house arrest.

I sincerely believe that one day China will have democracy and Zhou will have a place in history as a statesman who was a catalyst in promoting democratic reform.

Guest Martin J.

I do not believe that B.S. about him being a reformer. He was a die-hard communist for most of his life. Can a leopard suddenly change its spots? He is just another communist pretending to be a reformer like a wolf in sheep’s clothing. As far as I am concerned, the only good communist is a dead communist.

He wept at the side of students on a hunger strike as a show of compassion

Crocodile tears?

Does any politician of any shape, colour or creed ever really believe what they say? Should we believe what they say at any time? Aren't they all on some egotistical, selfish quest for power and.....................

Oh! I feel a rant coming on.....

Nurse! The screens please.

Guest Xiang L.
He wept at the side of students on a hunger strike as a show of compassion

Crocodile tears?

Does any politician of any shape, colour or creed ever really believe what they say? Should we believe what they say at any time? Aren't they all on some egotistical, selfish quest for power and.....................

Oh! I feel a rant coming on.....

Nurse! The screens please.

What do you know about Zhao? Had he succeeded with his reforms, he would have brought democracy and political freedom to China. Have you even been to China???

No (not yet), but I have met a politician.

[...]I have met a politician.

Did you count your change afterwards?

regards,

Hein

Guest R. Chin

I believe that Zhou was a benign communist, who tried to make changes from the inside. He, like Mikhail Gorbachev, tried to implement his own version of perestroika and glasnost in China. Throughout much of the 1980’s, when he was Premier, he was largely responsible for the industrialization and economic reform that took place. The thing that he failed to understand was that it is impossible to have economic reform without political reform. The demonstration that took place in Tiananmen Square was about political reform that his opponents in the Chinese government were not about to give up.

Guest Martin J.
I believe that Zhou was a benign communist

"A benign communist", now that's a first! :(

"A benign communist", now that's a first! :rip:

I think he meant a “benevolent communist”. For a moment I thought R. Chin was talking about a tumor. :(

QUOTE (Martin J. @ Jan 12 2005, 01:54 PM)

QUOTE (R. Chin @ Jan 12 2005, 06:51 PM)

"A benign communist", now that's a first! 

I think he meant a “benevolent communist”. For a moment I thought R. Chin was talking about a tumor.

Ah....so

Guest R. Chin

"A benign communist", now that's a first! :o

I think he meant a “benevolent communist”. For a moment I thought R. Chin was talking about a tumor. ;)

Ok, my english is not too good. ;) I meant that Zhao Ziyang was a benevolent communist. Here's an article on him.

Zhao Ziyang

Just a note to our guest Chinese posters ... we are able to tell that all the posts from Chou Lee, Xiang L., W.Tiu, Martin J., & R. Chin are all from the same location ... one assumes you are in fact one and the same person ...

Just a note to our guest Chinese posters ... we are able to tell that all the posts from Chou Lee, Xiang L., W.Tiu, Martin J., & R. Chin are all from the same location ... one assumes you are in fact one and the same person ...

Assuming the guest posters are in China, one asks one's self how many computers there are connected to the internet per head of population in that country?

It would appear there's only one computer in the whole of China, and that all those billion or so Chinese folk have to share it with a Canadian sports enthusiast. You're never alone with schizophrenia...

Assuming the guest posters are in China, one asks one's self how many computers there are connected to the internet per head of population in that country?

Actually, a bit closer than one location - more like all in the same room.

Do you not have spuds with your oats, Cap'n Oates ?

Do you not have spuds with your oats, Cap'n Oates ?

Strictly Lowcarb, me.

Call me captain Atkins.

What? Why would you think that?

You might find out when you grow up to be a moderator!