Paul Bearer

Cost of living crisis

Just now, En Passant said:

So commercial then. 

There was no standing charge at all before? Don't really understand that. I don't like standing charges, nobody does, but I understand why they exist.

Standing charges were largely done away with a few years ago, with usage costs being increased to compensate. Now they want the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, time said:

Standing charges were largely done away with a few years ago, with usage costs being increased to compensate. Now they want the best of both worlds. 

Again I have to assume this refers to commercial. 

I've had 5 tariffs over the last 3 years and all included some form of standing charge. 

The reason for 5? 

Used Martin Lewis old (sold for a profit bla bla, whole other story) money saving experts switch site.

House had Eon(1) when I bought it in 2020, switched to  Yorkshire Energy(2), low tariff, went bust so was auto-swapped to Scottish Power(3), dreadful mob, terrible record so switched again manually to Green Energy(4) who promptly also went bust and was auto-swapped again to Shell(5) whom I also detest, but by this time the 'money saving expert' pretty much says it doesn't matter where you are any more if you're on standard tariff as they've stopped doing decent deals, so you're stuck with it if you don't have a deal already. 

So much for that then.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

Again I have to assume this refers to commercial

I've had 5 tariffs over the last 3 years and all included some form of standing charge. 

The reason for 5? 

Used Martin Lewis old (sold for a profit bla bla, whole other story) money saving experts switch site.

House had Eon(1) when I bought it in 2020, switched to  Yorkshire Energy(2), low tariff, went bust so was auto-swapped to Scottish Power(3), dreadful mob, terrible record so switched again manually to Green Energy(4) who promptly also went bust and was auto-swapped again to Shell(5) whom I also detest, but by this time the 'money saving expert' pretty much says it doesn't matter where you are any more if you're on standard tariff as they've stopped doing decent deals, so you're stuck with it if you don't have a deal already. 

So much for that then.

That may be right, I've just checked my home bill and it includes a standing charge (27p/day). It could just have been the options for the club tariff I was presented with all had no standing charge as all the companies were after our business. 

I've little experience of it myself having never run my own business.

But I'm aware that commercial rates for all sorts of things are implemented on a totally different basis than private ones. Which is why I asked. 

And no private standing charge is ever going to be 67 quid a month, they'd never get that through without poll tax type rioting in my view. (whether the folks at the sports club fancy a ruck is perhaps another matter).

The only one I ever had any practical experience of is commercial rents which are often implemented vastly differently to private rents (basically long ago I once worked on software that dealt with commercial properties).

• Like 1