Sign in to follow this  
TQR

What Are We Killing & Saving Next?

The future of Kill or Save...two games at a time or just the one?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Why not change things up and not do music, who fancies a Kill or Save on forum users.

I've been playing it for years B)

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Why not change things up and not do music, who fancies a Kill or Save on forum users.

14 Commtech Sio Bibble -6

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, TQR said:

But Can’t Help Falling In Love isn’t a UK number 1 single, so it can’t be on the list. It’s tough, I know, but that’s how the charts worked. It’s either both or neither.

It was, but it was released in the 60s, and there was a debate in that Kill or Save thread whether the songs should be separated out, and a lot of people expressed that it should but we couldn't do it as the round had already started.

Edit: Starts here where people are crossing out Rock a Hula Baby when voting, including you saying Can't Help Falling in Love won't get votes due to the absymal track attached:

10 minutes ago, lilham said:

It was, but it was released in the 60s, and there was a debate in that Kill or Save thread whether the songs should be separated out, and a lot of people expressed that it should but we couldn't do it as the round had already started.

No no, it wasn’t a UK No.1 single; Can’t Help Falling In Love / Rock-A-Hula Baby was. Whether one or the other would’ve charted that well on its own or not is purely hypothetical, so they can’t be accepted as separate entities.

It might be the case that one side is shit, one side is great. That’s bad luck, I’m afraid. It’s down to the individual whether they give points for their favourite side, take points for the rubbish side, take an average of the two and score accordingly, or flat out ignore them. Personally, I’d take an average. But to split them is to allow two songs that don’t meet the game criteria.

11 minutes ago, TQR said:

No no, it wasn’t a UK No.1 single; Can’t Help Falling In Love / Rock-A-Hula Baby was. Whether one or the other would’ve charted that well on its own or not is purely hypothetical, so they can’t be accepted as separate entities.

It might be the case that one side is shit, one side is great. That’s bad luck, I’m afraid. It’s down to the individual whether they give points for their favourite side, take points for the rubbish side, take an average of the two and score accordingly, or flat out ignore them. Personally, I’d take an average. But to split them is to allow two songs that don’t meet the game criteria.

My suggestion is take a vote whether people want them separated or not.

I used that example as one song regularly appears on "greatest songs of all time" list and the other is never mentioned, so clearly the two tracks are regularly evaluated separately.

Just now, lilham said:

My suggestion is take a vote whether people want them separated or not.

I used that example as one song regularly appears on "greatest songs of all time" list and the other is never mentioned, so clearly the two tracks are regularly evaluated separately.

One such case we'll see in the 50s No.1s is The Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette. The world and their dogs know the A-side. I love the song. Claudette? Never heard of it. Doesn't matter. People bought the A/B and got them to No.1. It might be that you think Dream did all the heavy lifting of the two, and I'm not about to argue the toss on that, but if that's what you think, by all means vote accordingly, give it the points because of how legendary Dream is!

I'm not budging because it would be wrong, after ten of these games, to suddenly change the qualifying criteria. Sorry.

• Like 1

I think it helps a lot that the double sides are so long ago, that it kind of sorts itself out. Can’t Help Falling In Love justly endures and Rock-A-Hula Baby is justly forgotten, so we all just agreed to vote based off the former. If Rock-A-Hula Baby was equally culturally enduring while not being very good then it might've been more of a dilemma.

• Like 2

Well guys, @polar duck has had their say, and it's a no to more games.

Polar Duck has never played Kill or Save with us. Not even the Christmas one. You're still welcome to join in whenever though PD!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TQR said:

One such case we'll see in the 50s No.1s is The Everly Brothers - All I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette. The world and their dogs know the A-side. I love the song. Claudette? Never heard of it. Doesn't matter. People bought the A/B and got them to No.1. It might be that you think Dream did all the heavy lifting of the two, and I'm not about to argue the toss on that, but if that's what you think, by all means vote accordingly, give it the points because of how legendary Dream is!

I'm not budging because it would be wrong, after ten of these games, to suddenly change the qualifying criteria. Sorry.

This is just what I've always done. I looked at the doubles and pick the one I like best. There's one in the 08-09 round for Leona Lewis.

• Like 1

Last Christmas was a double A side but most people will just think of the more popular track

• Like 1