Master Obit

What are your hobbies/talents?

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

Keep digging.

You wish. 

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

You wish. 

This topic is not intended to be a medium of homosexual innuendo. Mind you, it is one of my hobbies. In fact, forget that, it's one of my fucking talents.

• Haha 1

Well, I've said here before that I was a bit obsessed with chess about two years ago. At that time I miraculously made a jump in "score" from 1600 to 2000. I also played more - and still do! But the returns have severely diminished. I think you can only get significantly above 2000 (the ranks of a master start at roughly 2200) if you get more academic with it, i.e. trying to learn from mistakes, but I mostly just want to play. I think I have quite a few talents, but never focusses enough on just one.

Another thing I regularly do is karaoke, roughly once every two weeks. I almost never sing the same song twice and like to think that I've become good at it.

Reading and learning have suffered by the above hobbies, which is why I need that chess break.

I also travel and have a vague long-term goal to visit all UNESCO world heritage sites. I think my next trip will be to Belgium in August. There are a couple ones in a very dense area.

• Like 2

I can name every country in the world and its capital, locate them on a map (except Oceania’s countries) and recognize their flags.

39 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

I can name every country in the world and its capital, locate them on a map (except Oceania’s countries) and recognize their flags.

a fellow neurodivergent whose special interest is geography, i see

Reading this thread is really making me understand why I like it here so much! I'm seeing myself in a lot of these, as another likely autistic forum-dweller...

for me - it's currently running (a hobby and not a talent - I'm training for my first half marathon and it's not particularly dignified), fanfiction (I have six unfinished writing projects and counting, and I have been known to turn myself into absolute mulch by reading 500,000 words in one sitting), and... selfies (I've taken a photo of myself almost every day for about fifteen years, and I'm really mad about the three days I've missed). 

The hobby graveyard also has cross stitch, crosswords, actual photography (as opposed to silly pictures of my face), and baking. 

In terms of talents, I'm definitely a memoriser (I can also do all countries and capitals, and I'm pretty decent at holding long random strings of information); and I'm acceptable at anagrams.

• Like 2

I forgot another hobby:

Sudoko and other word puzzles (also jigsaw puzzles). I did do Wordle a lot until I forgot to play one day and my streak of 55 days in a row correct was broken. I am very much a problem solver and like those type of mysteries.

• Like 1

For my sins I'm a football secretary for my local step 5 non league side. It's a tough gig with all the paperwork but I got recognised as a making the club the most friendly to visit and I've got some brilliant friends as a result as far as Bristol out of it. 

With the players - sometimes I have to be tough and it can be like herding ferrets around an assault course but it's mostly good. I don't sack the managers - leave that to our chairlady who can be brutal if needed! 

• Like 2

On 25/06/2024 at 00:16, ladyfiona said:

I forgot another hobby:

Sudoko and other word puzzles (also jigsaw puzzles). I did do Wordle a lot until I forgot to play one day and my streak of 55 days in a row correct was broken. I am very much a problem solver and like those type of mysteries.

I love a sudoku! I actually wrote my dissertation on sudoku mathematics. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Philheybrookbay1 said:

For my sins I'm a football secretary for my local step 5 non league side. It's a tough gig with all the paperwork but I got recognised as a making the club the most friendly to visit and I've got some brilliant friends as a result as far as Bristol out of it. 

With the players - sometimes I have to be tough and it can be like herding ferrets around an assault course but it's mostly good. I don't sack the managers - leave that to our chairlady who can be brutal if needed! 

Yes sometimes you have to be really tough with the football lads. Mmmmm.

• Haha 1

My hobbies/interests are as follows:

-I'm a bit of a motorhead, my prized possession is my CLA Mercedes. 

-I am an expert in Star Wars lore.

-Watching cartoons like South Park and Beavis and Butthead etc (obvs from my profile).

-I also enjoy boxing, swimming, long walks etc.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Great Cornholio said:

My hobbies/interests are as follows:

-I'm a bit of a motorhead, my prized possession is my CLA Mercedes. 

-I am an expert in Star Wars lore.

-Watching cartoons like South Park and Beavis and Butthead etc (obvs from my profile).

-I also enjoy boxing, swimming, long walks etc.

My avatar enjoys boxing as well. Every time I get a box, he puts himself in it.

I was about to say that I enjoyed the last activity there, then I realised that I had misread the last word.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

I was about to say that I enjoyed the last activity there, then I realised that I had misread the last word.

Oh yeah that too, even better when you bring a friend!

• Like 1