I remember Derek Bond as one of the first members of the 'Tonight' team with Cliff Michelmore and Fyfe Robertson in the mid-50s. He soon decided that his career would flourish better elsewhere.

Born 26th January 1920, so presumably is ageing appropriately somewhere!

Does anyone else remember him?

I can't say I remember the vicar from Dad's army very clearly, but it is of interest to note that perhaps one of Bond's more celebrated roles was his portrayal of Captain Oates in Charles Frend's 1948 Ealing production Scott of the Antarctic, an epic story of failed heroism, playing alongside John Mills, Kenneth More and James Robertson Justice. Not to mention Christopher Lee. The music was written by Ralph Vaughan Williams and was later transformed into his "Sinfonia Antarctica".

Guest wellfan

I think it was Derek Hart who was on Tonight

Oh yes, wasn't that the chap who also played Selwyn Froggitt in the 80's sitcom "Hell's Bells"?

The Vicar in Dad's Army was played by Frank Williams - born in 1931 and still with us. It would appear that your Mr. Bond had a small role in one episode as a "Minister".

Selwyn Froggitt was most definitely played by Bill Maynard.

... having checked IMDB further, I think your confusion can be explained. "Hell's Bells" featured a character called Dean Selwyn Makepeace who was played by the late Derek Nimmo

Hell's Bells

All well and good so far, but who was Derek Bond?

Yes, Derek Hart was on 'Tonight' for many years.

And it seems that Derek Hart appeared in an episode of Monty P*thon (The Buzz Aldrin Show)with a nude man and The Bishop.

Does anyone else remember Derek Bond as an interviewer quite early in the history of that programme?

Derek Bond also was, with Peter Haigh, co-presenter of Picture Parade - a weekly review of the film world.

Edited by Captain Oates

Does this help?

Derek Bond

and

a younger version.

Does this help?

Derek Bond

and

A younger version.

Vaguely.... I seem to recall him. Thanks for the links.

I think we are having a US/UK language moment here - the IMDB thinggie says he was a "Minister" in Dad's Army, ie a Minister in the Government (who if memory recalls had come to see if the lads were too old and they all wear hair dye and make up which runs in the rain, etc etc) - not a "minister" in the US sense of a greasy clown with a fake tan who extorts billions of dollars on behalf of God Inc.

You are right, Vile Body, but Scottish/English rather than US/UK. My Scottish Calvinistic roots misled me to interpret "minister" as "minister of religion" rather than as one of the government variety.

The Vicar in Dad's Army was played by Frank Williams.

Born in 1931 and seemingly not dead yet, he looked like this back then:

vicartodadsarmy.jpg

And like this more recently:

frank.jpg

He is as holy as anything and still very much on the go doing motivational speaking for church groups.

Guest One Man Jury
He is as holy as anything and still very much on the go doing motivational speaking for church groups.

Oh no! Could he be yet another pervert?

Hmmm....

Been re-watching the Dad's Army series (son is old enough to enjoy them now). There is an awful lot of innuendo (!) in the scripts about the Vicar/Verger being "close"...

I'd have thought Williams was getting on a bit for that sort of thing these days, if indeed, which i'm not of course suggesting, he ever was...your honour...

So you reckon he could be a bottom-botherer as well as a God-botherer?

Guest Guest

So you reckon he could be a bottom-botherer as well as a God-botherer?

++++Well, I wouldn't know about that. The character in Dad's Army was certainly written as rather fey. I've met Frank Williams in a pub and he's a nice enough chap.

For the sake of completeness here is a link relevant to this thread.

Derek Bond has died.

The only thing I can really remember seeing Derek Bond in was Scott of the Antarctic. I haven't seen that movie in years so have added it to my Netflix queue.

For the sake of completeness here is a link relevant to this thread.

Derek Bond has died.

Excellent work Captain. You have 20 Masters level credits from the Deathlist University.

Guest Mr bass

Derek William Douglas Bond MC (born January 26, 1920, Glasgow, Scotland, died October 15, 2006, London, England) was a popular British actor.

He enjoyed a varied film, stage and television career, which began in 1938 with experience with the Finchley Amateur Dramatic Society. His convential good looks secured him a number of dramatic and light comedy roles. He made a lasting impression in the title role of the 1947 Ealing Studios production of Nicholas Nickleby.

He saw active service with the Grenadier Guards in North Africa during the Second World War, for which he was awarded the Military Cross.

Memorial Service Covent Garden 18th Jan 2007

While we're on it, I believe the man deserves his exclamation point.

[Done! -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein