Sign in to follow this  
Guest iain

Actor James Booth Dies

Still nothing on the BBC entertainment web site page. This is a disgrace,I have made a formal complaint to the BBC, they are tossers.

;)

I do hope you also informed them that their delay in announcing his death had led to some debate on this forum. Might get some more publicity for DL :angry:

I do hope you also informed them that their delay in announcing his death had led to some debate on this forum. Might get some more publicity for DL ;)

If you want publicity put Pete Doherty on next year and write to the Sun saying how Pete is the youngest candidate on DL yet.

They like crappy storys like that.

Guest Guest

By the way IMDB now reports him as being dead too.

I will have tyo admit that I had not heard of him until today either. have seen him in Zulu though.

I will have tyo admit that I had not heard of him until today either. have seen him in Zulu though.

ditto.

A bit mean of the Beeb not to have given mad propz to either DL.net or Mr. TF for clueing them in. Another reason to question the fairness/validity of the TV licence fee. It's the 21st century for goodness sake. Do people in other first world countries have to pay this ridiculous cost? Here's an idea BBC, put some ads on. We'll just change channel or fast forward through them like we do on every other station.

Guest iain

Its a good job you had me to let you all know the news!

I suspect the Trots at the beeb thought that Zulu is a bit "inappropriate" in this enlightened age...

Guest Diana Blackwell

Zulu actor James Booth dies at 77

Veteran British actor James Booth, star of Zulu, has died at the age of 77.

Born in Croydon, Surrey, in 1927, the Rada-trained actor began his career on the stage at London's Old Vic theatre before being cast in the 1964 classic.

But his portrayal of Private Henry Hook as a thieving drunk would later inspire a campaign to restore the reputation of the Victoria Cross-winning soldier.

Booth divided his time between America and the UK, achieving success in later life in the cult US TV show Twin Peaks.

His role in Twin Peaks, as ex-convict Ernie Niles, followed appearances in Minder and Bergerac and a recurring role in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Earlier this year he filmed a small role as a 'grumpy old man' in Keeping Mum, a comedy starring Rowan Atkinson and Dame Maggie Smith.

Leading light

According to his widow Paula, with whom he had two sons and two daughters, he passed away peacefully at his Essex home on 11 August.

Born David Geeves-Booth, the former soldier trained at Rada with Albert Finney, Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole.

He subsequently became a leading light at Joan Littlewood's Theatre Workshop at Stratford East, in London, where he played the lead in the Lionel Bart musical Fings Ain't Wot They Used To Be.

His other films credits include Sparrers Can't Sing alongside Barbara Windsor and The Trials of Oscar Wilde with Peter Finch.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/ente...ilm/4155876.stm

Published: 2005/08/16 11:26:19 GMT

© BBC MMV

Guest sophie

he died????

i met him in july 2005, spent a couple of days with him for a tv show called sailing buy.

he was such a nice old man, very funny. met his wife i think too.

:huh: aw sad.

he died????

i met him in july 2005, spent a couple of days with him for a tv show called sailing buy.

:huh: aw sad.

Think of it like this. Although it's sad for you, the worms are laughing. :P

he died????

:sicktherm: aw sad.

That may be one of the best thread revivals ever.

he died????

:sicktherm: aw sad.

Think of it like this. Although it's sad for you, the worms are laughing. :o

Do worms laugh?

he died????

:) aw sad.

That may be one of the best thread revivals ever.

I concur. Great resurrection. :lol:

Gutted for sophie, though... I hope she wasn't harbouring any grudge over the lack of christmas card from the late Mr. Booth. ;)

I imagine that one or more of our DLers are keeping a secret tally of the best thread-revivals. Anyone? Anyone?...

Sophie,

Wow, you met James and his wife? I would SO love to learn more about your meeting, as well as the TV show (never heard of Sailing Buy). Would you please, please, please email me privately? I'd adore putting some of your recollections on my James Booth tribute website. Please do drop me a line: diana@odorofpears.com.

Best,

Diana

www.jamesbooth.org

That is actually a serious post.

I'm in shock.

Boothy was a good guy though, if a little limited in his acting ability.

Another case of death makes the heart grow fonder.

Sophie,

Wow, you met James and his wife? I would SO love to learn more about your meeting, as well as the TV show (never heard of Sailing Buy). Would you please, please, please email me privately? I'd adore putting some of your recollections on my James Booth tribute website. Please do drop me a line: diana@odorofpears.com.

Best,

Diana

www.jamesbooth.org

Oh dear... fancy posting your e-mail address on here... :)

Sophie,

Wow, you met James and his wife?  I would SO love to learn more about your meeting, as well as the TV show (never heard of Sailing Buy).  Would you please, please, please email me privately?  I'd adore putting some of your recollections on my James Booth tribute website.  Please do drop me a line:  diana@odorofpears.com.

Best,

Diana

www.jamesbooth.org

Oh dear... fancy posting your e-mail address on here... :)

I've had a really good sniff around our fruitbowl and they don't really smell of much. Bananas on the other hand....

Guest Himler

hmm a see a few SPAM adverts heading her way ;)