Guest Death List Watcher

Coretta Scott King

Guest Death List Watcher

Mrs. King, 78 was briefly hospitalized last week for a heart condition and underwent an undisclosed procedure at an Atlanta hospital. She has been a very active public figure in the fight for civil rights and her son tells an Atlanta newspaper that she will continue to do so. But she is 78 and like Lady Bird Johnson her husband has been gone for many years (since 1968).

Guest DeathLister

While Mrs. King may have been hospitalized and she is indeed in her late 70s, she has remained, for the most part, in relatively good health. Besides, most people of her age have been hospitalized at some point or another, and it seems that each time an individual over 75 is taken to the hospital, death watch is placed over him or her. I firmly believe that Coretta Scott King still has a few more years to go.

She shouldn't have to slither out through age and infirmity. It'd be kinder and more fitting if some well placed sniper.......

I'll get me coat.

Guest Guest

shes said to be 'resting comfortably' so it look slike shes ok

She's seeing action on this site....she can't be OK.

Guest Guest

shes had a stroke ^_^ ..http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/08/17/coretta.king.ap/index.html

Guest Guest

CNN reports that Mrs. King has suffered a major stroke as well as a mild heart attack. She is unable to speak according to her doctors at Atlanta's Piedmont Hospital.

Are people who are famous "by association" eligible for the deathlist?

e.g. a famous person's widow/spouse/partner

Coretta Scott King is an interesting one for DL consideration. Her death would be big news in the US, would definitely be covered on all of the major network's evening news programmes, and I'd be more than willing to wager it would be a story, i.e. not just an obit, in all the major British broadsheets. Mrs. King has become quite an active human rights advocate in her own right. Although she clearly first became prominent b/c of her husband, her fame seems to exist independent of MLK today. Sort of like Hillary Clinton, although she's of course much more famous.

I'd vote for including Mrs. King for '06.

I'd vote for including Mrs. King for '06.

Me too, if she is still with us......

:pop:

A definite for next year if she doesn't go too soon I'd say. She's in a different league to the widow of the honourable Elijah Muhammad. Coretta King was hands on with a lot of human rights work and played a prominent role well after her husband's death. She was a force behind the scenes when he was alive. Definitely in the Hilary Clinton, Cherie Booth mould of partner. In fact it would be a bit of an insult to write her off just because of who she was married to.

A definite for next year if she doesn't go too soon I'd say. She's in a different league to the widow of the honourable Elijah Muhammad. Coretta King was hands on with a lot of human rights work and played a prominent role well after her husband's death. She was a force behind the scenes when he was alive. Definitely in the Hilary Clinton, Cherie Booth mould of partner. In fact it would be a bit of an insult to write her off just because of who she was married to.

And we all know that Martin was very hands on....

He never laid a finger on me. If you got that close Teddy you could still make a few quid letting the press in on the details.

Guest Guest
While Mrs. King may have been hospitalized and she is indeed in her late 70s, she has remained, for the most part, in relatively good health. Besides, most people of her age have been hospitalized at some point or another, and it seems that each time an individual over 75 is taken to the hospital, death watch is placed over him or her. I firmly believe that Coretta Scott King still has a few more years to go.

Doesn't sound too much like it now

Guest Guest

It is my understanding that civil rights matriarch Coretta Scott King, widow of Martin Luther King, Jr., has died at 78 due to complications from a stroke.

Guest IYG

Nothing in the news yet, confirmation anyone?

If this is true i suppose the bus driver thought Coretta

would make a good fit as the first stop. "Must make the route easier"

Next stop! Rosa Parks...

Coretta Scott King Is Mostly Paralyzed

ATLANTA -- Coretta Scott King is mostly paralyzed on the right side of her body and faces a long, difficult recovery from a stroke, but she managed to say a few words Friday, her doctor said.

Dr. Maggie Mermin, King's personal physician, said that the 78-year-old widow of Martin Luther King Jr. is unable to walk and has been mostly unable to speak since the stroke Tuesday in the left side of her brain, which controls speech functions.

So it's serious enough to leave her health compromised, likely she'll survive 2005. Unlikely she'll live a long and healthy life from here on in and she's never appeared on the DL proper before now. 24 months of healthy life starting on Jan 1st 2006 might be a big ask for her now.

Lady Bird Johnson is, apparently, well-known :rolleyes: although i must say I'd barely heard of her before I became a regular here.

Guest Guest

Lady Bird Johnson is, apparently, well-known ;) although i must say I'd barely heard of her before I became a regular here.

Lady Bird and Coretta both would be good candidates for 2006.

Guest Guest

Coretta Scott King leaves hospital, and is predicted to make a full recovery.

Probably not a good choice for '06 anymore.

Coretta Scott King leaves hospital, and is predicted to make a full recovery.

Probably not a good choice for '06 anymore.

Heart attacks and strokes, aged 79? Definitely a candidate I say.