Stayin Alive

Nick Leeson

Seeing as we are doing a bit of research...

He had colon cancer, which was understood to of reached his lymph nodes, but made "a full recovery in 2003".

Finding a study that is up-to-date proves fairly hard, but this study of Cancer Mortality in the United States, http://www.healthgoods.com/Education/Healt...ality_in_US.htm, from between 1987-1991, seems to indicate that mortality from Colon/Rectum cancer was high, ranked 3rd, after Prostate (2nd) and Lung (1st). Admittedly, we don't eat as many burgers and as much soul food as our dear american cousins, but it might still be some vague data to base a prediction about.

Could be one to watch.

Doesnt Leeson just slot into the same category as Ernest Saunders?

These guys try their hand at deceiving a few business types, fail at that, then try their luck with the medical profession and make miraculous recoveries from previously unrecoverable conditions.

Am I being too cyncial or will Leeson outlive everybody, Clive Dunn included?

Leeson wouldnt get my vote even if he gave me his own personal guarantee ;)

Grim Reaper writes

Leeson wouldnt get my vote even if he gave me his own personal guarantee

Given his track record, shouldn't that be especially if he gave me his own personal guarantee?

Guest -+-+-+ G -+-+-+

Nick Leeson is my cousin and I dont like these sick rumors and abuse happenin on this page. I think u lot should show some respect 2 a genius and the best cousin i could ever have! I trust him and he has never let me down!

So dont judge wat u aint experienced!!

Thanx for that +++G+++

I believe a few former shareholders in Barings would beg to differ with you but you're entitled to your opinion :(

Guest guru
Nick Leeson is my cousin and I dont like these sick rumors and abuse happenin on this page. I think u lot should show some respect 2 a genius and the best cousin i could ever have! I trust him and he has never let me down!

for real? cousin huh?

i find the whole ordeal facinating. i've read his book, and seen the movie many times. would love to hear how he's getting on.

cheers!

Guest Pat Keane

Celebpoker home page

Nick Leeson is back gambling. Come to www.celebpoker.com where you will see Nick and many other poker-loving celebrities playing poker against members of the public.

It's been my understanding that once cancer metastisizes to the lymph nodes it's pretty much adios amigos in a relatively short period of time. Could the spread to the lymphatic system be overstatement?

As an editorial comment, may I add that this board, the internet, the WWW, etc... have one thing especially in common with television and radio; if you don't like the content, change the channel or, better yet, turn it off and give us all a break. EVERYBODY is SOMEBODY'S relative!

Guest a worker

nick was just a normal guy who brought a bunch of greedy fat cat capitalists to there knees. they ignored the warning signs, blinded by greed.

these people put thousands of everyday folk out of work every day for personal profits of millions of pounds.

in the words of i think niche

"who is the real criminal. he who robs a bank or he who creates it"

or in this case substitute 'robs the bank ' for 'breaks the bank '

nice one nick. i just wish you could have broke the whole monetery system, that would have shown the world who the important people are in the world, and it ain't ' merchant bankers' (rhyming slang intended)

Guest Terry

I just got done watching "Rogue Trader". Very good flick.

It is unfortunate that one man was able to singlehandedly bring a financial institution to ruin.

As someone who works at the trading desk for a financial institution, this movie was Comedic Fantasy to me. I say this, because Upper Management would have to have a serious crack habit, and I'd have to be their dealer, in order for them to allow me to run the Trading Dept *AND* run Settlements.

Nick should have quit while he was ahead. Covering your duff is one thing...but covering it to the tune of 9 figures?

I feel bad for him that his wife left him. However, I see that she was the one good thing in his life, and he messed that up with infidelity (not shown in the movie).

Guest dishy_a

Why did Nick set up a bogus 88888 error account?

:pop:

[This topic merged with a previous Nick Leeson topic -hence some of the 'confused' responses below - Teddy]

Guest guesty

Me neither,

perhaps it's refering to Nick Leeson?

Guest Mr Ron

error account was created to hide his subordinates f**cked up trades, 8 is considered the most lucky number in that part of the world.

However considering the reason for opening the account in the first place was due to the actions of a very "Tasty" young female trader, perhaps nasty nick named it thus for other reasons!

Read the book, watch the film, enjoy Anna Friel's breasts etc.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of "The Tribe"?

:rolleyes:

The Tribe was a TV proggy that feature Ms. Friel nakid. :rolleyes:

Though this is wildly off-topic.

Surely if he had not created the bogus error account we would never have heard of him and we'd still be using Barings for all our household Merchant banking requirements?

Nick might not have been the smartest cookie, but at least he realised its best from the point of view of ones reputation and annual bonuses to keep monstrous losses out of sight of ones superiors.

Anyway back to the important point of this thread - shouldn't we being seeing more regular appearances by Anna Friel on our TV screens?

Anyway back to the important point of this thread - shouldn't we being seeing more regular appearances by Anna Friel on our TV screens?

A bit of an obsession going on here, GR? :rolleyes:

Guest A Real Banker

I used to work in a bank in the city and I can tell you that most traders aka dealers are just selfish pig ignorant barrow boys with a thin grasp of economics, and an unnatural amount of luck. They manage to maintain their positions by basing the majority of their work on simple safe & obvious trades which an intoxicated monkey with a slide rule & a cell phone could do (much of this is now done by computer programmes today Q.E.D.). They manage to survive because their bosses are generally a bunch of snivelling hoorays who's idea of management is to hire anyone who "Talks the talk, wears a flash suit and two days beard growth and addresses you as "Shag".

It's only when the traders get carried away with their own hype and have a string of disastorous trades that they get booted out and then have to write a book about themselves or perhaps set themselves up as financial advisors.

Perhaps things are changed, but that is how it was in 1991 when our bank lost millions due to "Rouge Trading".

And we trust our pensions to these tossers.

:rolleyes:

Nick Leeson is my cousin and I dont like these sick rumors and abuse happenin on this page.  I think u lot should show some respect 2 a genius and the best cousin i could ever have! I trust him and he has never let me down!

Many people trusted him and believed that he was God and could do no wrong. This allowed him to hide 600 million pounds in losses from his bosses by setting up error account 88888. He might not have let you down, but he did indeed let down thousands of fellow employees by causing them to lose their jobs when Barrings Bank went bankrupt. Only a genius could pull off a stunt like that!!

Guest Jiri Saffek

Dear Nick, I wish you well. You are not a criminal, you are a natural phenomenon. You merely helped to spread concentrated wealth around. There is nothing new about it, it is happenig since the beginning, otherwise, by now the world would be owned by one idividual. Thank you Nick. Jiri

So you haven't heard of Bill Gates then ?

He was on the telly getting interviewed, yesterday I think, looked quite healthy