weatherman90

Near Misses for 2005

Guest IYG
Nicole duFresne, 28

"Aspiring actress" pretty much means she wouldn't be famous enough.

I read about her as well on CNN but I didn't think she'd be famous enough to post here so I skipped her.

Almost a Beatle

Heard this first on the radio, and thought they were talking about Paul - even though we all know he is already dead :old:

Then thought DWB would have to change his name. Now relieved that is not the case :blink:

And while on a musical theme:

Folk Folks Off

Saw him at Cambridge - music was a load of cack, but I suppose I won't be allowed to say that now he's dead........

Edited by Teddy

And while on a musical theme:

Folk Folks Off

Saw him at Cambridge - music was a load of cack, but I suppose I won't be allowed to say that now he's dead........

Not at all. If his music was cack then, it'll continue to be cack. It's just that more people will pretend to have liked it before.

P.S. I heard a couple of his albums and yes, they were cack.

Folk Folks Off

Who was it? My computer wont let me access the link

Folk Folks Off

Who was it? My computer wont let me access the link

Have fixed the link - but to answer your question, Martyn Bennet.

Dan Lee, sketch artist, character designer and animator for "Finding Nemo," "Toy Story 2," "A Bug's Life," and "Monsters, Inc," dies at 35 from lung cancer.

(Not sure if he would qualify for famous enough category though)

Dan Lee dies

Guest IYG
Ephraim Kishon

Israeli Satirist. Best known in the German-speaking world has apparently upped and died.

Being Israeli I knew of this for several days but I hardly thought he was famous enough throughout the world to mention.

Actor John Vernon, star of Wojeck, various films, dies at 72 in L.A.

JOHN MCKAY

TORONTO (CP) - He was the smarmy Dean Wormer in the sophomoric cult movie Animal House.

He was a bad guy who got tossed out a window to his death by the even badder Lee Marvin in Point Blank. But Canadians may best remember actor John Vernon as a crusading coroner in the groundbreaking 1960s CBC crime series Wojeck. Vernon, 72, died peacefully at his Los Angeles home Tuesday, his family said.

With his pockmarked face and heavy-lidded blue eyes, Vernon made an ideal villain in dozens of the 85 motion pictures he made over a four-decade career. But he started out the hero in Wojeck in which his character was based on real-life Toronto coroner and politician Dr. Morton Shulman and which formed the template for future crime series formats, from Quincy to Da Vinci's Inquest to CSI.

"Everybody's seen my face but nobody's sure who I am," he once told an interviewer, revealing that he had often been mistaken for Richard Burton or Robert Shaw. "People confuse me with other people and I enjoy that."

He was seen most recently on the "double secret probation" DVD edition of Animal House, in a feature that offered a tongue-in-cheek current look at the characters of the 1978 film. Vernon's Dean Wormer was a crotchety, snowy-haired senior citizen in a wheelchair.

Chris Haddock, creator of Da Vinci's Inquest, said at the time he was surprised that Vernon was still around and agreed it was a great idea to see if he could make a cameo appearance on the series as a sort of tribute.

Vernon's other notable film roles included The Outlaw Josey Wales, Dirty Harry, Airplane II, Topaz, Brannigan, Charley Varrick, Nobody Waved Goodbye and Tell Them Willie Boy Was Here. He also starred in a short-lived ABC-TV Animal House spinoff series called Delta House and in a 1990 CBC movie that reprised his Wojeck character.

TV guest roles included The FBI, Bonanza, Mission Impossible, The Name of the Game, High Chapparall, Judd for the Defence and Quincy. He also made a pilot for a failed U.S. series called Hunter. There were more than 100 roles in Canadian TV, running the gamut from Tugboat Annie to Cannonball to Forest Rangers.

Regina-born and stage trained, the six-foot-two Vernon, whose birth name was Adolphus Raymondus Vernon Agopsowicz, spent five years at the Stratford Festival. He also attended London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and in London joined several repertory companies. His Broadway debut came in Royal Hunt of the Sun, and from there he moved to Hollywood for a prolific career playing mostly heartless villains.

"The stars are always the good guys, so the guest stars have to be the bad guys," he said in a 1979 interview. "Even though I played a lot of heavies I was very lucky to work all the time, without getting pigeon-holed."

Vernon is survived by his former wife Nancy, his children Chris, Kate, Nan, Jim West and Grant West, and a granddaughter.

There will be a private service in Los Angeles and a gathering of friends to remember him in Toronto at a later date, the family said.

Have fixed the link - but to answer your question, Martyn Bennet.

Cheers Mr Teddy.... can't honestly say I've heard of him!

The actor who played Dean Wormer in the infamous movie "Animal House" has left the building:

CBC News story

Horace Hagedorn, Founder of Miracle-Gro, Dies at Age 89

Monday January 31, 7:35 pm ET

MARYSVILLE, Ohio, Jan. 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Scotts Company (NYSE: SMG - News) today reported that Horace Hagedorn, founder of Miracle-Gro® plant food, former executive and director emeritus of The Scotts Company and beloved philanthropist, died today, January 31, 2005, at the age of 89 at his home in Long Island, New York.

Mr. Hagedorn was the marketing and business genius behind the popular Miracle-Gro® brand, which includes the trusted blue-colored water-soluble fertilizer used by millions of gardeners in North America and around the world.

After building this successful business, he merged Miracle-Gro with The Scotts Company in 1995 to create the world's largest lawn and garden company. Since his retirement in 1997, Mr. Hagedorn has been a tireless and generous supporter of dozens of grassroots and charitable organizations, many in the Long Island area, with a particular interest in causes that help children, families and education.

Strangely enough, I remember that nude balloon dance on the Tube or some such early 80's program.

Strangely enough, I remember that nude balloon dance on the Tube or some such early 80's program.

This refers back to the post on Malcolm Hardee. Yes, I too remember those guys doing the balloon dance on "The Tube" and other shows in the 80s

Reading his obit, he was obviously quite a whacky and subversive character!

This picture might help to jog other people's memories_40788263_malcolm_hardee203.jpg

The actor who played Dean Wormer in the infamous movie "Animal House" has left the building:

CBC News story

Is this a coincidence? John Vernon is the second actor after Ossie Davis in the 1978 movie “Animal House” to die this week. :lol:

Evolutionary biologist Ernst Mayr dies at 100.

See this Obituary.

He wasn't on DeathList, but he is my first hit in the DDP.

regards,

Hein