Sign in to follow this  
Charley Farley

We Need A Messenger

This might have been asked before but have any regular users of this fine site joined the great webmaster in the sky?

To the best of my knowledge no DL member is dead. However, there's no way of knowing who of the many members who haven't posted for a while are alive. Now that of I think of it, there's no way of knowing whether the members who do post are alive or not.

regards,

Hein

However, there's no way of knowing who of the many members who haven't posted for a while are alive.

My point exactly oh svelte one.

As morbid interest tends to rise in proportion to age, it's likely we would have lost the 'odd' member since the birth of DL.net

Perhaps it would be useful if DL members could leave "in the event of my death" instructions. Maybe in a similar style to the organ donor card.

Just for the record, I'm not dead I just smell that way.

We had a similar discussion about this topic here.

Then I call for a merge, but a continued discussion. This was actually something I was thinking about last night to distract myself from various thises and thates. I bet a great ploy that someone like TF could, employ if you will, would be to stop posting on the site for a while and see how long it took before people thought he was dead. How long would it take? Do we assume that some of the more frequent posters in the past just disappeared, gave up without a word?

I say we PM the mods a secret code word. Then, we write that code word on a piece of paper and tell one friend/relative to type in that word along with your user name onto the forums if we should one decide to drop over dead.

[Topics merged -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein

Do we assume that some of the more frequent posters in the past just disappeared, gave up without a word?

Funny that, isn't it, that so many interesting and popular posters of quality banter seem to have upped and jumped ship recently?

Can't think why. :referee:

Do we assume that some of the more frequent posters in the past just disappeared, gave up without a word?

Funny that, isn't it, that so many interesting and popular posters of quality banter seem to have upped and jumped ship recently?

Just what are you implying sir?

[/code]

Perhaps Np's post here might explain it, a valid and well observed post IMHO and before I get pelters about my rubbish posts, of which I am guilty of, at least I only post in topics I am interested in, the RO'S thread being an exception, I have no wish to up my post count and don't feel the need to post in every current topic, no matter how irrelevant my posts might be, just to see my name on the screen.

[/code]

Perhaps Np's post here might explain it, a valid and well observed post IMHO and before I get pelters about my rubbish posts, of which I am guilty of, at least I only post in topics I am interested in, the RO'S thread being an exception, I have no wish to up my post count and don't feel the need to post in every current topic, no matter how irrelevant my posts might be, just to see my name on the screen.

I think there's a fuzzy line. When I post news articles or expanded paragraph forms on candidates, I'm obviously writing good posts. When I resurrect threads from the depths of DL to nominate them for closing, I'm obviously not (though I still stand by the fact that those actions have purpose, but let's not get into that again...). But where's the line? If I comment that I agree with something someone else has posted, is that a rubbish post? If I make a joke about something someone has posted, and that joke doesn't give any more insight into the topic, is that a rubbish post?

I think moderation is the key. The key phrase in your post I think LG is that you say you only post in topics you are interested in. I think that's an excellent rule. Post what you want, but don't post just for the sake of posting. For example, if you have something to contribute to the Jane Wyman thread, then contribute, but don't just post a random message like "I like her acting" without explanation, just to bring it up to the top of the list.

I think we're all going to have different ideas of what's quality and what's not, but there's no need for anyone to be a sarky post quality nazi on every post. If a member seems to be obviously posting great deals of rubbish, I think a warning/conversation is required with that member so that they may learn how to improve their posting. Otherwise, I think the huge irony is that people complaining about posts in threads are, in turn, merely contributing to the number of rubbish posts in the threads. Perhaps we can keep our commentary private?

I'll leave it to scsi bear to put up my death notice and vice versa, but should we both die together this member will be making it.

Did I really make that post 5 years ago, so much has changed since then, but Yogi Bear will not be posting my death notice, it falls to me to post his :D . Sadly, Yogi was put to sleep this morning, he was recently diagnosed with benign lymphoma, which was under control, but I'm afraid the arthritis in his legs was giving him too much pain, so it was a kindness to let him go. Naturally I am devastated but take comfort from the fact he had a wonderful life and I have so many happy memories of him.

I wouldn't rule out him posting on here from the other side either!

RIP Yogi 2/8/2000 - 19/4/2010

sorry to hear about the sad loss of Yogi:

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,

I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.

I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free

Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side

Were meadows rich and beautiful -- lush and green and wide!

And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see

Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!

My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new

And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.

I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright

That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright Glow pierced the night.

'Twas the Glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold

And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.

For although we may not be together in the way we used to be,

We are still connected by a cord no eye can see.

So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart

If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

RIP

Sorry to hear about Yogi LG. Pets really are members of our families and the loss is tough to take. You can take comfort in the fact that he had a long and happy life.