themaninblack

Best Dead

That was a pisser weren't it!

A great horse, I'm trying to think of the last time an athlete (animal or otherwise) has been taken to the paddock upstairs in their prime... :)

A great horse, I'm trying to think of the last time an athlete (animal or otherwise) has been taken to the paddock upstairs in their prime... :)

Paul Borreson :lol:

Lilian Board - UK 800 metres runner - died of cancer aged about 22.

Steve Prefontaine - US athlete hotly fancied for a long distance medal at the 76 Montreal Olympics died in a car crash 1975. Had a belated and totally spurious late blast of fame when 118 118 lied through their teeth claiming the adverts - obviously based on David Bedford - were really based on Prefontaine.

Gunnar Nilsen, formula 1 driver died of cancer in his twenties.

Mark Vivien Fo - 28 year old footballer died of a heart attack on the pitch a couple of years back.

Not to mention all the racing drivers who crashed, motorcyclists who fell off and horses that came down hard and got shot a few minutes later.

That's why I watch sport on telly!

A great horse, I'm trying  to think of the last time an athlete (animal or otherwise) has been taken to the paddock upstairs in their prime... :rip:

Boxer, Leavander Johnson, IBF lightweight champion, who died after a fight just a few weeks ago would also pretty much fit that bill :(

Andy Ducat (famous pre-war cricketer) died at the crease during an armed forces match at Lords in 1941 (I think).

Andy Ducat (famous pre-war cricketer) died at the crease during an armed forces match at Lords in 1941 (I think).

Is that technically "not out" then?

Correct. I've seen the scorecard, although 'retired very very hurt indeed' would have been better.

However, Ducat was a little over the hill and out of shape, even for a cricketer.

Steve Prefontaine - US athlete hotly fancied for a long distance medal at the 76 Montreal Olympics died in a car crash 1975. Had a belated and totally spurious late blast of fame when 118 118 lied through their teeth claiming the adverts - obviously based on David Bedford - were really based on Prefontaine.

That reminds me...Ivo Van Damme, promising Belgian middle-distance runner. Also died in a car crash in 1976.

Reggie Lewis, 27, captain of the NBA’s Boston Celtics died on the basketball court during practice in 1993.

Davey Allison, 32, NASCAR driver who died in a helicopter crash Talladega Superspeedway on July 13, 1993.

Ayrton Senna, 34, formula one driver who died in a horrific crash on May 1st, 1994 during the San Marino Gran Prix in Italy.

Owen Hart, 34, WWF wrestler who died from injuries sustained from a fall in the ring on May 23rd, 1999 during a live PPV event.

Payne Stewart, 42, famous PGA golfer who died in a plane crash on Oct 10th, 1999.

Flo-Jo?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/176925.stm

DWB :rip:

Edit: Thinking about it, she was retired when she pegged-out, so probably doesn't count.

Holy S**t. there's one that scooted past when I wasn't looking.

Correct. I've seen the scorecard, although 'retired very very hurt indeed' would have been better.

However, Ducat was a little over the hill and out of shape, even for a cricketer.

Ducat was 56 and playing for the Home Guard. I don't know if anyone started shouting "don't panic!" when he keeled over.

Full story here if anyone's interested.

That link looks rather familiar........

Ah, imitation, the sincerest form of flattery.

Well, I reckon this is just about unbeatable:

Lightning Strike

DWB  :D

I don't believe a word of that story.

There's nothing rare about football players snuffing it after being struck by lightning. I remember several such incidents. Normally this kills one player, sometimes a few.

If we consider that lightning strike is a very local phenomenon, I don't believe that 11 players of the same side, including the keeper, can be killed by a single bolt, as the article claims.

regards,

Hein

A great horse, I'm trying to think of the last time an athlete (animal or otherwise) has been taken to the paddock upstairs in their prime... :skull:

Lady Diana would seem to be a good example of an animal with big teeth, ridden by everyone going and taken down in her prime after one jump too many. Does she count?

A great horse, I'm trying  to think of the last time an athlete (animal or otherwise) has been taken to the paddock upstairs in their prime... :skull:

Lady Diana would seem to be a good example of an animal with big teeth, ridden by everyone going and taken down in her prime after one jump too many. Does she count?

Splendid work Sir.