Sign in to follow this  
football_fan

Peter Drucker

Peter F. Drucker, 95, world-renown economist and management consultant, is in frail health and appears to be slowing down. He would be a good suggestion for inclusion in the 2006 list.

Peter F. Drucker, 95, world-renown economist and management consultant, is in frail health and appears to be slowing down. He would be a good suggestion for inclusion in the 2006 list.

With his demise, Peter Drucker definitely will not make the 2006 list, but I recommend the following selections:

Charles Haughey, 80 - Ex PM of Ireland (remains in ill health & nearly died 2 years ago)

Mark Felt, 92 - Deapthroat in the 1972 Watergate Scandal (seriously ill)

Ibrahim Rugova, 51 - President of Kosovo (lung cancer)

Ross Davidson, 55 - Ex Eastenders actor (brain cancer)

No-one had heard of Henry Allingham up to a few weeks ago, apart from his mum and his mates. As for Teodoro Obiang Nquema Mbasoqo, he's not as well known as Hilda Ogden in this part of the world. Does leading a country mean that you're famous?

That said it's good to have some Equitorial Guineans. I'm a sad enough bastard to have signed up here but not so sad that I've done my homework on all the threads, but from what I have seen it seems a bit light on Nobel prizewinners, business leaders and management gurus. Peter Drucker who died a couple of weeks ago was a bad miss. Joseph Juran (big in Japan) can't be far off, nor can Ronald Coase, the economist.

No-one had heard of Henry Allingham up to a few weeks ago, apart from his mum and his mates. As for Teodoro Obiang Nquema Mbasoqo, he's not as well known as Hilda Ogden in this part of the world. Does leading a country mean that you're famous?

That said it's good to have some Equitorial Guineans. I'm a sad enough bastard to have signed up here but not so sad that I've done my homework on all the threads, but from what I have seen it seems a bit light on Nobel prizewinners, business leaders and management gurus. Peter Drucker who died a couple of weeks ago was a bad miss. Joseph Juran (big in Japan) can't be far off, nor can Ronald Coase, the economist.

I wouldn't say that Peter Drucker was a bad miss. He was old. He died. There are lots of old and famous people, you can find them here: Genarians

I can guarantee you some people on that site will die in 2006. I can equally guarantee that some will not. The question is, how do you pick which ones will or won't cark it? That's the purpose of these forums. Sometimes GR picks people solely based on their age (Joseph Barbera, Joey Bishop), but usually there's some sort of reasoning behind it. If you had looked at that link in 2005, would you have been able to tell us who would die in that year?

If so, please look at it now, and tell us which will be gone for 2006. :blink:

Never heard of any of those people.

Management guru!! :blink:;);)

Bullshitter more like.

The DeathList doesn't need dry obscure bussinessmen, sure if they're world famous like Branson or Gates, but Joseph Juran???

I think not.

Please do Drucker the courtesy of looking him up on Google and maybe you will change your mind. If you don't know him I suggest you get to know him. OK, in the UK he doesn't pass the Hilda Ogden test of fame which is very sad. Does famous mean they have had to have been on telly or I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here? That's pathetic. In the US, at least, Drucker is more famous than Galbraith and Coase is more important than Galbraith, although by no means a better commentator.

I realise the real oldies are hard tro predict but who says this is easy? I just think the team have limitations if they aren't aware of Drucker and he has never been mentioned in any year, unlike Clive Dunn and Ozzy Osbourne (mentioned in 1987 for Christ's sake). But maybe that's Warwick for you. Richard Burns was another bad miss. Isn't there some cancer site for monitoring the terminally ill? Now's the time to start listing Osbourne. I give him two years at most.

In the US, at least, Drucker is more famous than Galbraith and Coase is more important than Galbraith, although by no means a better commentator.

I don't know where in the U.S. you live, but I'm a Management Science major at my university and I'd never heard of him before I looked him up for Deadpool purposes (way back in 2004, before he died). Coase is talked about, but not a whole awful lot. Galbraith, on the other hand, was taught to me in high school economics. As for more famous... well I'm not exactly sure how one would judge that, but I'll go ahead and ask a whole bunch of my buddies who they know out of the three and get back to you on that.

Richard Burns, on the other hand, was maybe one that DL committee should have paid more attention to, but that's why DL is increasing in its average yearly successes: more people to catch these things.

Please do Drucker the courtesy of looking him up on Google and maybe you will change your mind. If you don't know him I suggest you get to know him. OK, in the UK he doesn't pass the Hilda Ogden test of fame which is very sad. Does famous mean they have had to have been on telly or I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here? That's pathetic. In the US, at least, Drucker is more famous than Galbraith and Coase is more important than Galbraith, although by no means a better commentator.

I realise the real oldies are hard tro predict but who says this is easy? I just think the team have limitations if they aren't aware of Drucker and he has never been mentioned in any year, unlike Clive Dunn and Ozzy Osbourne (mentioned in 1987 for Christ's sake).

I agree with you Godot. I cannot see how J.K. Galbraith and Milton Friedman were judged to be more famous than Peter Drucker. The same argument that is being used to say that Drucker was not famous enough for inclusion in the deathlist could be used against Galbraith and Friedman.

I agree with you Godot. I cannot see how J.K. Galbraith and Milton Friedman were judged to be more famous than Peter Drucker. The same argument that is being used to say that Drucker was not famous enough for inclusion in the deathlist could be used against Galbraith and Friedman.

Aside from what I wrote above, Friedman won the Nobel Prize for Economics. Drucker didn't. (Nor did Galbraith for that matter, but that would indeed be another matter).

I agree with you Godot.  I cannot see how J.K. Galbraith and Milton Friedman were judged to be more famous than Peter Drucker.  The same argument that is being used to say that Drucker was not famous enough for inclusion in the deathlist could be used against Galbraith and Friedman.

Aside from what I wrote above, Friedman won the Nobel Prize for Economics. Drucker didn't. (Nor did Galbraith for that matter, but that would indeed be another matter).

Milton Friedman is surely the world's most famous living economist.

I agree with you Godot.  I cannot see how J.K. Galbraith and Milton Friedman were judged to be more famous than Peter Drucker.  The same argument that is being used to say that Drucker was not famous enough for inclusion in the deathlist could be used against Galbraith and Friedman.

Peter Drucker wasn't an economist, he was a management theorist.

If you thought economists were useless bastards, they are as nothing compared to managament theorists.

A glorified management consultant is all Drucker was.

If you thought economists were useless bastards, they are as nothing compared to managament theorists.

As someone who is studying management theory, I can't help but agree. Everyone in my classes are shallow, money-loving, superficial f*ckers who don't give a sh*t about anything except money.

Personally, I'm planning on focusing on my other major: Middle Eastern studies.

Maybe in a few years I can give you the skinny on who's ill in the Middle East. :o

As someone who is studying management theory, I can't help but agree. Everyone in my classes are shallow, money-loving, superficial f*ckers who don't give a sh*t about anything except money.

Personally, I'm planning on focusing on my other major: Middle Eastern studies.

Maybe in a few years I can give you the skinny on who's ill in the Middle East. :o

The whole of the Middle East seems pretty sick to me.

Maybe "Dubya" will cure their ills with a nice nuclear bomb.

If this thread was renamed management theorists it would be worth reviving. Joseph Juran will definitely get an obit and he's over 100. Ronald Coase is well into his 90s. Gary Becker, Chris Argyris and Alfred Chandler (born 1918) are all getting on.

If this thread was renamed management theorists it would be worth reviving. Joseph Juran will definitely get an obit and he's over 100. Ronald Coase is well into his 90s. Gary Becker, Chris Argyris and Alfred Chandler (born 1918) are all getting on.

Joseph Juran I can definetely see getting an obit, although I can also reasonably see him living for a few more years yet. Ronald Coase has a fair chance too. The others I'm not so sure about though... a bit sketchy perhaps.

Wiki link for Joseph Juran for anyone who is interested.

Speaking of old business people, Charles R. Walgreen Jr. turns 100! today (last item in the article)! Not famous enough at all I would think, which is why I didn't put him in "Ideas and Possibilities for 2007," but interesting nonetheless.

Who the f**k is Pete Drucker?

An old (and now deceased) management theorist that Godot worships. Wouldn't have been famous for DL, although he was so for DDP.

Who the f**k is Pete Drucker?

An old (and now deceased) management theorist that Godot worships. Wouldn't have been famous for DL, although he was so for DDP.

I didn't think Godot worshiped anyone. Figured he was more of a ruler?

Atleast his godettes seem to think so?

In the US, at least, Drucker is more famous than Galbraith and Coase is more important than Galbraith, although by no means a better commentator.

I don't know where in the U.S. you live, but I'm a Management Science major at my university and I'd never heard of him before I looked him up for Deadpool purposes (way back in 2004, before he died). Coase is talked about, but not a whole awful lot. Galbraith, on the other hand, was taught to me in high school economics. As for more famous... well I'm not exactly sure how one would judge that, but I'll go ahead and ask a whole bunch of my buddies who they know out of the three and get back to you on that.

Richard Burns, on the other hand, was maybe one that DL committee should have paid more attention to, but that's why DL is increasing in its average yearly successes: more people to catch these things.

I apologise for offending anyone.Have recieved a warning from FF.

Still never heard of the inconsequential little man.Did he qualify for an obit in the UK ?

Still never heard of the inconsequential little man.Did he qualify for an obit in the UK ?

He got someone points on the DDP, so I guess so.

He had an obit in the FT and one in the Guardian. I'm amazed he isn't better known here. He was born in Vienna, worked in the UK for a little while, then settled in the US where he wrote twenty-odd management books. His Practice of Magement is the seminal text on the subject. His book, Concept of the Corporation explained Alfred Sloan's divisional corporate structure at GM which set the trend for all other large company structures until Champy and Hammer suggested flatter, leaners structures in the 1990s. Oh sh*t, just realised, Drucker was never on I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of Here. He never had plastic surgery or molested children or lived in Brinsworth House and probably never rated a column millimetre in the Sun. He was a great man.

He had an obit in the FT and one in the Guardian. I'm amazed he isn't better known here. He was born in Vienna, worked in the UK for a little while, then settled in the US where he wrote twenty-odd management books. His Practice of Magement is the seminal text on the subject. His book, Concept of the Corporation explained Alfred Sloan's divisional corporate structure at GM which set the trend for all other large company structures until Champy and Hammer suggested flatter, leaners structures in the 1990s. Oh sh*t, just realised, Drucker was never on I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of Here. He never had plastic surgery or molested children or lived in Brinsworth House and probably never rated a column millimetre in the Sun. He was a great man.

I succour to your superior knowledge.

Thank you .

Could be worse - you could be a mod!

I succour to your superior knowledge.

Thank you .

Could be worse - you could be a mod!

To give a warning, or not to give a warning...... :)

Speaking of old business people, Charles R. Walgreen Jr. turns 100! today (last item in the article)! Not famous enough at all I would think, which is why I didn't put him in "Ideas and Possibilities for 2007," but interesting nonetheless.

Now deceased.

Hmmm... 100 years old, obscure and not on MPFC's Theme Team. Wonders never cease...