Sign in to follow this  
in eternum+

Death Of My Country

It would not make much of a difference if Steven Harper were to die.  He would just be replaced by another conservative Prime Minister.

True, although they might replace him with someone who has a spine.

In all fairness though, right now I'm thinking it could be worse. I mean, he's (relatively) young, so he's not set in stone in all his beliefs and ways. Also, if he stood up to America on Hans Island, maybe he'll be willing to do so on softwood lumber? It remains to be seen I guess.

The big Canadian political issue is softwood lumber?

And people say Canada is dull. :(:lol::lol:

It would not make much of a difference if Steven Harper were to die.  He would just be replaced by another conservative Prime Minister.

True, although they might replace him with someone who has a spine.

In all fairness though, right now I'm thinking it could be worse. I mean, he's (relatively) young, so he's not set in stone in all his beliefs and ways. Also, if he stood up to America on Hans Island, maybe he'll be willing to do so on softwood lumber? It remains to be seen I guess.

The big Canadian political issue is softwood lumber?

And people say Canada is dull. :(:lol::lol:

We solved all our problems a long time ago. America is just creating more for us. :P

In all seriousness, $20 million could go a long way.

Is that 20million USD or 20million CD?

Either way, you can't do much with that little.

Our lot would waste in on the NHS in seconds.

Oh, for private health care and patient passports.

Oh, for the return of a proper Tory Party with a real leader.

I believe it's USD, but I'm not 100% certain.

It's not just the money either. Aside from the fact that it should be paid on mere principle, it's not like there's any other large sums of money that are presentely owed to us. It's worth our time to go after it I'd say.

Then again, we've still got a few more years to go before we have finally paid of the American World War Two loans.

And they get to keep the use of our bases (Diego Garcia, etc.)

Should have surrendered at Dunkerque.

At the end of the day, we joined in to preserve the independence of Poland and they were taken over by the Soviets, so what was the point.

At the end of the day, we joined in to preserve the independence of Poland and they were taken over by the Soviets, so what was the point.

The commies only got all of Eastern Europe because old Harry Truman bent over and let Comrade Stalin have his way.

Worst President ever was Harry T, he could have liberated those areas under Stalin's control, he had the bomb uncle Joe didn't, but no, old Harry preferred to get shafted.

The commies only got all of Eastern Europe because old Harry Truman bent over and let Comrade Stalin have his way.

Worst President ever was Harry T, he could have liberated those areas under Stalin's control, he had the bomb uncle Joe didn't, but no, old Harry preferred to get shafted.

True.

Harry Truman could best be described as a gimp.

Although how many bombs did the USA actually have at the end of the war?

I've heard it was only two or three - ie they couldn't have continued the a-bombing of Japan for much longer.

Then again, a-bombs are pretty crap compared to H-bombs - hiroshima was only about 30kt, was it not?

Biggest H-bomb tested by Soviets in 1960s was 50MT, and it said they had an untested 100MT too.

Then again, look at the UK's current Trident system - the satellites that would guide the missiles are controled by the USA - ie they could switch them off...

True.

Harry Truman could best be described as a gimp.

Although how many bombs did the USA actually have at the end of the war?

I've heard it was only two or three - ie they couldn't have continued the a-bombing of Japan for much longer.

Then again, a-bombs are pretty crap compared to H-bombs - hiroshima was only about 30kt, was it not?

Biggest H-bomb tested by Soviets in 1960s was 50MT, and it said they had an untested 100MT too.

Then again, look at the UK's current Trident system - the satellites that would guide the missiles are controled by the USA - ie they could switch them off...

Of course the only reason the second A bomb was dropped on Japan, was to give a message to uncle Joe that the USA had more than one.

The East could have been retaken with the help of a re-armed Wehrmacht, under US command.

Indeed plans for this eventuality were drawn up in '45, but never implemented, shame.

It's not just the money either. Aside from the fact that it should be paid on mere principle, it's not like there's any other large sums of money that are presentely owed to us. It's worth our time to go after it I'd say.

It's much larger than $20 million. The dispute is over US $3.4 billion in duties that were charged on Canadian lumber by the US Dept of Commerce.

Canadian softwood lumber dispute

It's much larger than $20 million. The dispute is over US $3.4 billion in duties that were charged on Canadian lumber by the US Dept of Commerce.

Canadian softwood lumber dispute

OK, so I wasn't crazy. I thought the number was in the billions, but the only sources I could find said $20 million, so I went with it off there.

Even so, my argument remains the same, except this time there's a lot more money involved.

Clutching his personal Bible

Honestly! I don't know why that puts me off, but it does!

Clutching his personal Bible
Honestly! I don't know why that puts me off, but it does!
I agree. Urgh!

regards,

Hein

Evidentely, some people hate the new PM even more than ie+.

That story has been dominating the news over here for the past couple of days.

As I'm sure you will all remember about a year or so ago Canadian Paul started a thread on the death of Canada (or at least I think he did).

With the May 3rd elections approaching is the United Kingdom about to be decapitated and Scotland decimated?

Link

[Topics merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan

As I'm sure you will all remember about a year or so ago Canadian Paul started a thread on the death of Canada (or at least I think he did).

With the May 3rd elections approaching is the United Kingdom about to be decapitated and Scotland decimated?

Link

Looks like it eh? Unless England finds some of its own oil reserves on the meantime... :D

Seriously though, from what I remember of studying Political statistics, voting in Scotland & England was almost indistinguishable until the 1970's (yes, there really were Scottish Tories) when the natural gas discovery off the Scottish coast lead to a huge upsurge in SNP voting and a call for independence. And 'Conservative' became a dirty word (citations needed for all of the above). :)

I don't claim to know a huge amount about the more in depth pro and anti independence arguments, but I do know that under the current system, Scotland and Wales are both over represented in parliament and over funded in terms of tax paid compared to benefits received. I guess though that independence is about much more than facts & figures, plus once you remove England's dreadful bureaucratic system & red tape you could probably run Scotland for about half the current cost.

Here ends the party political broadcast for the fence-sitting party, surprisingly comfortable as long as you have a nice cushion and a good view. :D