Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

Good for you. I wish I'd had the initiative to go to events on my own when I was younger.  There really is no need to miss out on something because nobody else is interested.

Hexagon is a decent little venue, they have a lot of comedy there and some good bands once in a while.

I saw Jimmy Carr at the Hexagon about 10 years ago. He seems to do yearly shows there. Because Paul McCartney was on my bucket list I also went alone to see him at the O2 years ago.

Going alone is great because you go by your rules, your timeframe and don't have the frustration of trying to find tickets for 2-4 people as well. I've started to do that more, as i'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and be more confident. Going alone to concerts is part of that step so to speak.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Going alone is great because you go by your rules, your timeframe and don't have the frustration of trying to find tickets for 2-4 people as well. I've started to do that more, as i'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and be more confident. Going alone to concerts is part of that step so to speak.

I still don’t really go out and do things on my own unless it’s just for a walk or a drive, and I don’t really know why. It’s a weird one; It’s the other people who get my arris in gear to go to gigs and stuff, but my social battery is seriously flat afterwards and often I wonder if I’d have preferred it on my own.

• Like 1

I went to 9/10 of my most recent gigs alone.

Before anyone has a go, yes I'm chronically single and I have 3 pals who don't like live music as much as me.

I find it empowering to decide I want to go somewhere and simply... go. I don't have to explain to anyone. Even better when I do it with only a few hours' notice.

The only part I don't like is the 20 minutes of nothingness between openers and main acts. I try to find other folk who don't have signal and look shy/bored, but they don't always want to talk to this yin. Understandable.

• Like 1

I prefer going to gigs alone these days and then meeting up with people when I'm there 

I used to have a friend that would buy the tickets and I will pay them back. But, then they would keep hold of them until the gig. He was habitually late, so I'll miss the opening bands. In the end, I got pissed off with missing so many bands, that I just said "sod it. I'll buy my own tickets and meet you there "

Admittedly there were a few times when I didn't bother looking for them when I was inside the venue. 

9 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

The only part I don't like is the 20 minutes of nothingness between openers and main acts. I try to find other folk who don't have signal and look shy/bored, but they don't always want to talk to this yin. Understandable.

I usually kill that time by browsing the merch table. 

Since I work a lot of merch tables , I usually make conversation with whomever is running it. Especially if there are unusual items for sale. 

Admittedly I've only been to a couple of shows each year where I'm a spectator. Other than that, depending on the show, I'm either kept busy from beginning to end. I'll hear the show, but not see it. Or I'll be busy before the show starts, during an interval (if there is one), and at the end. So, that way I can step away and watch the show with everyone else.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I prefer going to gigs alone these days and then meeting up with people when I'm there 

I used to have a friend that would buy the tickets and I will pay them back. But, then they would keep hold of them until the gig. He was habitually late, so I'll miss the opening bands. In the end, I got pissed off with missing so many bands, that I just said "sod it. I'll buy my own tickets and meet you there "

Admittedly there were a few times when I didn't bother looking for them when I was inside the venue. 

I am usually a person who buys the tickets because i'm a ticket ninja (even if i'm at work at the time because why the fuck are tickets being released at 9am on a Friday). Recently i've been using AXS as Ticketmaster has hidden fees etc. If you have the app and more than one ticket, you can easily transfer the ticket to someone else/a friend.

If you are going alone but may feel like an awkward turtle. Go on social media becuase there will be lots of people, like you and could meet up with someone. Then go for a drink then see the gig etc. I've arranged that with people on Tumblr and some i've known for a few years now. Especially when it comes to more less well known acts who have small fandoms (or are only Youtubers).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I am usually a person who buys the tickets because i'm a ticket ninja (even if i'm at work at the time because why the fuck are tickets being released at 9am on a Friday). Recently i've been using AXS as Ticketmaster has hidden fees etc. If you have the app and more than one ticket, you can easily transfer the ticket to someone else/a friend.

Now with the apps it's easy to transfer tickets. I was talking about the days before that option when all you had were physical tickets.

I still prefer physical tickets and would often go to the box office in person to buy tickets. AXS in the U.S. has a fair amount of hidden fees which they're trying to pass laws on to curb that nonsense.

I miss the days of physical tickets. I was pleasently surprised Pink gave the option to print out the ticket. Knowing my friend has a memory box, I printed it out for her to keep.

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I miss the days of physical tickets. I was pleasently surprised Pink gave the option to print out the ticket. Knowing my friend has a memory box, I printed it out for her to keep.

I'm not sure the situation where you are. But even ordering via AXS there's the option to have physical tickets mailed to you at an extra cost. I did that for the last couple of shows I paid for. Frustrating thing was that the tickets for The Charlatans arrived the week after the event. Thankfully they let me into the venue when I showed them the email with the receipt.

And I forgot my tickets for Stiff Little Fingers at home on the kitchen shelf. So, there's that drawback with physical tickets.

I always love seeing the guys perform 

Tony Andreason and The Surf Dawgs at Chateau St Croix Winery in St Croix, Wisconsin.

Pure Midwest rock and roll royalty 

Bernie Bomberg (The Accents), Tony Andreason (The Trashmen), Dave Maetzold (Gregory Dee and The Avanties), Tom "Zip" Caplan (The Litter) and lastly "Cadillac" Sally West (The Fendermen)

Thankfully it had cooled off from the past couple of days so the weather was perfect. 

PXL_20240629_230109376.jpg

PXL_20240629_230333682.jpg

PXL_20240629_231159519.jpg