Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

Ideas & Possibilities - The Names

Arthur Lee - singer of Love. Aside from anything else in his past, he is now very ill with Acute lymphoblastic leukemia. b. 1945

So now that he's gone, will OoO be taking up the task of crossing his name off the list, as well as any future deceased? Or are we just going to have to be eagle-eyed whenever we go over the list?

P.S. I know he said he's gone on Holidays, but I'll post this just to make him feel better:

Where is OoO? Has he died? :lol:

Yes, he has. :P

Yeah, I'll take him off the list, and update the new I & P suggestions, shortly, of which there are many in my absence :lol:;) - that is, if people are still bothered about updates.

- that is, if people are still bothered about updates.

People bothered? Around here? Surely you jest!

Arthur Lee - singer of Love. Aside from anything else in his past, he is now very ill with Acute lymphoblastic leukemia. b. 1945

So now that he's gone, will OoO be taking up the task of crossing his name off the list, as well as any future deceased? Or are we just going to have to be eagle-eyed whenever we go over the list?

P.S. I know he said he's gone on Holidays, but I'll post this just to make him feel better:

Where is OoO? Has he died? ;)

Yes, he has. :P

Yeah, I'll take him off the list, and update the new I & P suggestions, shortly, of which there are many in my absence <_<;) - that is, if people are still bothered about updates.

Octi,

Updates would be great if you're willing to put in the time. The work you're putting in certainly isn't going unnoticed.

Also at least we know who are still alive. That's one of the frustrating things I found about the lists that Life Begins at 5'Clock would post that we hadn't a clue who was still with us and who wasn't

After the death of Dame Te Atairangikaahu, who was a Tempus Fugit suggestion, I have updated the "A" section.

Only two of these suggestions have died, which suggests either our suggestions are naff or famous people are currently defying the odds.

After the death of Dame Te Atairangikaahu, who was a Tempus Fugit suggestion, I have updated the "A" section.

Only two of these suggestions have died, which suggests either our suggestions are naff or famous people are currently defying the odds.

TripleO, it's more a matter that in any given year probably only about a dozen truly globally famous people die. Here's a list I cobbled off some site proclaiming 2006's celebrity deaths. I've heard of just about all of these, although their status in the pantheon of the great and the good is debatable in virtually every instance.

Mickey Spillane, author of the Mike Hammer stories, died July 17 at the age of 88.

Red Buttons, comedian, died July 13 at the age of 87.

June Allyson, actress but best known for Depends commercial, died July 8 at the age of 88.

Syd Barrett, founding member of Pink Floyd, died July 7 at the age of 60.

Aaron Spelling, tv mogul, died June 23 at the age of 83.

Kenneth Thomson, billionaire and one time media magnate, died June 12 at the age of 82.

Louis Rukeyser, business journalist best known for Wall Street Week, died May 2 at the age of 73.

John Kenneth Galbraith, economist, died April 29 at the age of 97.

Caspar Weinberger, one time US secretary of defense, died March 28 at the age of 88.

Oleg Cassini, designer, died March 17 at the age of 92.

Slobodan Milosevic, dictator, died March 11 at the age of 64.

Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, hockey hall of famer, died March11 at the age of 75.

John Profumo, politician best known for the Profumo scandal, died March 9 at the age of 91.

Kirby Puckett, hall of fame baseball player, died February 26 at the age of 45.

Darren McGavin, actor best known for Kolchak: The Night Stalker, died February 25 at the age of 83.

Dennis Weaver, actor best known for McCloud, died February 24 at the age of 81.

Don Knotts, comic actor best known as Barney Fife on the Andy Griffith show, died February 24 at the age of 81.

Curt Gowdy, broadcaster, died February 20 at the age of 86.

Andreas Katsulas, actor best known as G'kar on Babylon 5, died February 13 at the age of 59.

Peter Benchley, author best known for Jaws, died February 11 at the age of 65.

Betty Friedan, feminist, died February 4 at the age of 85.

Al Lewis, actor best known as grandpa on the Munsters, died February 3 at the age of 82.

Coretta Scott King, widow of the civil rights leader, died January 31 at the age of 78.

Chris Penn, actor best known for his role in Reservoir Dogs, died January 24 at the age of 40.

Anthony Franciosa, actor best known for his role in the series The Name of the Game, died January 19 at the age of 77.

Shelley Winters, actress, died January 14 at the age of 85.

Lou Rawls, singer, died January 6 at the age of 72.

Irving Layton, poet, died January 4 at the age of 93.

As he's in the I & P list, it's worth posting it here.

Naguib Mahfouz, 95, in intensive care.

knowing my luck, I'll pencil him in and he'll die next week :D

TripleO, it's more a matter that in any given year probably only about a dozen truly globally famous people die. Here's a list I cobbled off some site proclaiming 2006's celebrity deaths. I've heard of just about all of these, although their status in the pantheon of the great and the good is debatable in virtually every instance.

CR - the list seems a bit Americentric - Kirby Puckett & Curt Gowdy I wouldn't really count as being known well outside of the United States sports world. Andreas Katsulas is sketchy too, but then again I don't watch those kinds of shows. Surely someone like Charles Haughey is equally - or more - well known than those three, and he is absent from the list.

Overall though, I agree with your point. Famous people don't knock off all the time, especially not a large number in less than a month. There are slow periods and rapid-fire periods but, either way, the game would be a lot less interesting if everyone died a month after they were suggested.

CP.

Kirby Puckett was mentioned on the BBC site, but I'll admit he wasn't well known in the UK until he actually dropped dead at the age of 45 from a stroke

CP.

Kirby Puckett was mentioned on the BBC site, but I'll admit he wasn't well known in the UK until he actually dropped dead at the age of 45 from a stroke

Fair enough. At least it gives me hope for a Ron Santo obit.

As for Mahfouz, it would be a sad end for such a strong man - someone who survived an assassination attempt in his 80s. I wouldn't bother penciling him in Phantom. If he dies from this, it will be before you have a chance to put him on any deadpools. If he lives, he'll be strong enough to last a while longer. I've avoided putting him on a list because of his constitution, but a fall is one of those random accidents that could be fatal.

Didn't George Barnard Shaw, the Nobel Laureaute who Mahfouz is right behind in terms of longevity, die from a fall as well?

Didn't George Barnard Shaw, the Nobel Laureaute who Mahfouz is right behind in terms of longevity, die from a fall as well?

Yep, fell off a ladder at the age of 94.

I didn't realise they had sattelite tv in those days :D

Well, it's picking up now - Stroessner makes it three, and looks like Tupou, at the very least, will be joining him in the next few days..

Added the death of van Vlissingen - a DDT suggestion that I know Rotten Ali, at least, was looking at for DDP selection next year.

Keep the suggestions coming...

1) Updated for de Capovilla's death

2) For those of you who suggested/are following Malcolm Allison's progress, he was at the Manchester City game yesterday. Frail, thin, but robust enough to suggest that whatever ill health he has had, he's fighting it well and is not confined to a home just yet. I wouldn't think he's going to make 90 though...

3) I've also removed some of the more dubious names (ie the ones that really are not likely to drop at all), but there's still plenty of names to choose from!

Guest Guest

What the hell is this disgusting bullshit? These are real people, one of whom happens to be an elderly relative of mine, and about whom I daresay you know absolutely nothing. Go to to your GP, show them this, and proceed directly to your local adult mental health service, you twisted weirdo.

What the hell is this disgusting bullshit? These are real people, one of whom happens to be an elderly relative of mine, and about whom I daresay you know absolutely nothing. Go to to your GP, show them this, and proceed directly to your local adult mental health service, you twisted weirdo.

Feel free to enlighten us.

Cool. A ranter!

It's a list. I would've thought that was perfectly clear. Maybe you need to go to the local adult mental health service if you don't know what a list is. <_<

But we all work in our local mental health services. And one day you may need us.........

What the hell is this disgusting bullshit?

It's a list

These are real people,

We're fully aware of that, we're not permitted to include fictional character.

one of whom happens to be an elderly relative of mine, and about whom I daresay you know absolutely nothing.

Which one? and tells us more about the health status of this person

Go to to your GP, show them this, and proceed directly to your local adult mental health service,

I don't have a GP, I believe my original GP back in England is now dead as he drank & smoked heavily and suffered a massive stroke about 10 years ago. They pulled down the local psychiatric hospital and built a housing complex on the site so at least I wasn't homeless

you twisted weirdo.

to whom are you addressing? there are several people on this site. We need to know which one of us is the weirdo. I know I'm too poor to be an eccentric.

Octopus of Odstock Posted Today, 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Canadian Paul @ Aug 23 2006, 07:21 PM)

Mahfouz on the mend.

Well he was, but he's dead now.

Ah, that's a shame - I had him provisionally at position 23 on my next entry list.

Octopus of Odstock Posted Today, 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Canadian Paul @ Aug 23 2006, 07:21 PM)

Mahfouz on the mend.

Well he was, but he's dead now.

Ah, that's a shame - I had him provisionally at position 23 on my next entry list.

I had him pencilled in too, although very far down on the list. Both Octi and CP rightly suggested that it wasn't worth putting him on my list at all as he probably wouldn't have made the year out