CarolAnn

Baseball

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

FTR, that’s not a QO!

Sorry, I saw Yahoo and assumed it was. I have never really brushed up on the DDP rules as I do not partake. My apologies.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2024 at 11:34, alt obits guy said:

Fritz Peterson, a pitcher who played more than a decade with three teams combined, mostly with the New York Yankees, between 1966 and 1976, has died. He was 82. Peterson' was infamously known for having traded families with former teammate Mike Kekich in the early 1970s. Both reconstituted marriages ended in divorce. 

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2024/4/12/baseball-niu-hall-of-fame-pitcher-fritz-peterson-passes-away.aspx

image.thumb.jpeg.be11c763cc8b15dba0f8188eb2ba71c5.jpeg

Turns out he actually died in October.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edm88 said:

But with a good make-up he managed to conceal it until now.

Former Houston Astros relief pitching prospect Ronny García was killed in a motorcycle accident. Daily Mail has an obit. They seem to cover a lot of obscure MLB players and he didn’t even make it to the Major Leagues.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/mlb/article-13331431/amp/Houston-Astros-mourn-death-Ronny-Garcia-car-accident.html

Dave McCarty, Twins to Red Sox (including the 2004 curse-breakers) with a host of teams in between has died aged 54, due to a 'cardiac event'.

IMG_1032.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time said:

Dave McCarty, Twins to Red Sox (including the 2004 curse-breakers) with a host of teams in between has died aged 54, due to a 'cardiac event'.

IMG_1032.JPG

Man the Red Sox are not having an easy time as of late! Two players from 04 in fairly recent memory...

Unlike Tim Wakefield, McCarty saw little action. Very few people I have spoken to remember him at all.

18 hours ago, dimreaper said:

Unlike Tim Wakefield, McCarty saw little action. Very few people I have spoken to remember him at all.

He played  in over half the regular season games for the 2004 team who broke the curse, as well as making three relief pitching appearances. A journeyman certainly, but the Red Sox fans I talk to remember him well. 

1 hour ago, An Fear Beag said:

He played  in over half the regular season games for the 2004 team who broke the curse, as well as making three relief pitching appearances. A journeyman certainly, but the Red Sox fans I talk to remember him well. 

He certainly contributed, wasn't just a guy with like three appearances.

2 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

I live in Boston and only a few fans I know remember him. His contribution went far beyond  those three relief appearances. 151 at bats isn 't bad. But in Boston, he's not too well known. 

In fairness, his death is getting a lot of local media coverage. I'm really only talking about the dive bars I frequent in Dorchester. I dug out my closet my old 2004 Red Sox commemorative pin collection that the team put out and found he was omitted. 

45 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

In fairness, his death is getting a lot of local media coverage. I'm really only talking about my dive bars Dorchester. I dug out my closet my old 2004 Red Sox commemorative pin collection that the team put out and found he was omitted. 

I'm guessing that's because he wasn't on the World Series roster. Even casual Red Sox fans remember the names of Dave Roberts and Doug Mientkiewicz because of their post-season  heroics. However McCarty played in almost twice as many games as either of them that year. His contribution to the season as a whole shouldn't be dismissed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

I'm guessing that's because he wasn't on the World Series roster. Even casual Red Sox fans remember the names of Dave Roberts and Doug Mientkiewicz because of their post-season  heroics. However McCarty played in almost twice as many games as either of them that year. His contribution to the season as a whole shouldn't be dismissed.

You Mass based by chance? One of my most pressing memories from the 2004 championship season was every female having a huge crush on Johnny Damon. Fairly decent player in his own right to be fair, but that always made me laugh.

44 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

You Mass based by chance? One of my most pressing memories from the 2004 championship season was every female having a huge crush on Johnny Damon. Fairly decent player in his own right to be fair, but that always made me laugh.

I was... 7 or 8 though that season, and I still remember my classes requiring me to watch the WS, and then my parents thinking it was bloody odd that teachers would tell us to watch a sporting event. They didn't get how obsessed the state was for it all, until game 4 fell on a Sunday and our pastor literally had us pray for the team during the service. Wasn't a quicker than normal service (shortest was 40 minutes one of the years the Pats were at a Superbowl), but I always found that odd.  Sox won, so he claimed divine intervention the next week. I also remember the superintendent apparently being pissed that schools were cancelled the day after (not sure if that was a local choice or a whole state thing).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Comped said:

I was... 7 or 8 though that season, and I still remember my classes requiring me to watch the WS, and then my parents thinking it was bloody odd that teachers would tell us to watch a sporting event. They didn't get how obsessed the state was for it all, until game 4 fell on a Sunday and our pastor literally had us pray for the team during the service. Wasn't a quicker than normal service (shortest was 40 minutes one of the years the Pats were at a Superbowl), but I always found that odd.  Sox won, so he claimed divine intervention the next week. I also remember the superintendent apparently being pissed that schools were cancelled the day after (not sure if that was a local choice or a whole state thing).

I was in 4th grade. Was super angry my parents wouldn't let me cut school to attend the victory parade.

13 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

I was in 4th grade. Was super angry my parents wouldn't let me cut school to attend the victory parade.

My dad was told by his colleagues (he was at the crime lab in Sudbury for years) it was too high of a security risk. They were wrong, as far as we know now, but it meant there'd be no chance in hell we'd go. Happened a lot as a kid. (The one year they recommended we go to an event was the year of the marathon bombing. Would have been at or near the finish line (my mother wanted to watch because we'd never been, and my dad figured he could get us a good spot with the pull he had with BPD and the State Police) if it wasn't for deciding to go to Long Island instead to fix something which broke by chance for a different client without telling anyone our plans changed as it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing. But that's a story for another thread...)

1 hour ago, dimreaper said:

Nah - I'm in Ireland. A completely plastic fan! I follow the Red Sox via the internet, which is a lot easier to do now than it was in 2004!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Nah - I'm in Ireland. A completely plastic fan! I follow the Red Sox via the internet, which is a lot easier to do now than it was in 2004!

That's class. I'm a plastic Paddy. I hope you get the chance to a catch a game in person someday if you already haven't. Your knowledge of the team goes far beyond my own, and I've always been as fan.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

That's class. I'm a plastic Paddy. I hope you get the chance to a catch a game in person someday if you already haven't. Your knowledge of the team goes far beyond my own, and I've always been as fan.

Never made it to Fenway, but it's number 1 on my bucket list. Fell in love with the game when I spent a summer in Woostah in the mid 90s, but I had to go home early to repeat college exams, so I never got to go. Had planned to catch a game when I went to Boston as part of honeymoon in 2003, but after 9/11 the other half got cold feet about flying to the US, so we ended up staying in Europe. Now I just have to wait until these parasitic kids leave home before I can afford to go!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Never made it to Fenway, but it's number 1 on my bucket list. Fell in love with the game when I spent a summer in Woostah in the mid 90s, but I had to go home early to repeat college exams, so I never got to go. Had planned to catch a game when I went to Boston as part of honeymoon in 2003, but after 9/11 the other half got cold feet about flying to the US, so we ended up staying in Europe. Now I just have to wait until these parasitic kids leave home before I can afford to go!

The Red Sox and Yankees played a series in London a few years ago.

24 minutes ago, Captain Hemlock said:

The Red Sox and Yankees played a series in London a few years ago.

Yeah I seriously considered going to that at the time, and eventually decided against it. When I see the Red Sox in person for the first time, I want it to be in a ballpark, preferably Fenway. Seeing a game in the London stadium just wouldn't be the same. 

4 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Oddly I've found it harder - sort of.

I miss C5's coverage a lot. I did the fantasy baseball league there and everything.

I'm not generally much of a sports fan, not even football, it was something about Gould and cohorts (Lengel particularly) that livened it up for me.

Tried to keep going a bit once it stopped, but cannot get as much on board without that peculiar British slant on it or something - dno.

A pity :(.

• Like 1