Sign in to follow this  
Guest They_kill_me_if_i_tell_you

Dom Mintoff

Oh wonderful.

In a language not English.

Is there such a thing as Maltese ?

Guest Four Donkeys of the Apocolypse

During Mintoffs reign I used to spend large parts of the year in Malta. Personally I have a soft spot for it (OK between the ears). BEA and latterly British Airways used to operate flights to and from Malta sometimes badged as Malta Airways, they also operated south to Tripoli. On one interesting flight out of Tripoli to Malta when all were boarded and about to close doors along came a small group of Libyan Army soldiers who banged, crashed and generally manhandled a well built metal trunk up the front stairs. Barging the Cabin Crew aside they proceeded to manhandle the trunk into the rear of the cockpit. The Captain and flight deck crew tried to find out what was in the trunk but were mereley and laughably told to sign for it. The Captain refused and refused to take the trunk. He had a gun put to his head, whereupon he stood his ground. After a standoff a higher ranking army type appeared and after a lot of expelled hot air the Captain agreed to take the trunk provided it was opened for inspection. It was duly opened and was found to be chock full of small gold bars. The aircraft departed but on arrival at Luqa it was initially directed away from the terminal, the passengers were held on the aircraft while a troup of Dom Mintoffs personal party associates and rabble rousers drove up in a van and after alot of huffing and puffing removed Dom's gift from the Loon of the Dersert. Unfortunately Mintoff's social and economic prowess was not quite up to the task of nation building. Who can ever forget the Chinese sea-water desalination plant disaster - four built, one working, sorry now none working. The last I can remember of the sorry mess Mintoff and his Arab cronies left the place was the amount of armed guards on banks and places of importance where once there had been none and the large number of guttersnipes and other assorted street arabs assembled around the fountain in Valetta. Some vision Mintoff, some vision........sad. Oh and there is a Maltese language, a bit of arabic, roman and greek all rolled into one.

Who can ever forget the Chinese sea-water desalination plant disaster

So true - I mean, the amount of sleep I've lost over that is incalculable....... :rolleyes:

Who can ever forget the Chinese sea-water desalination plant disaster

So true - I mean, the amount of sleep I've lost over that is incalculable....... :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha... :pop:

Guest Four Donkeys of the Apocolypse

One then can only conclude from your experience in waters offshore from the great man that you are full of sh*t sir! Nevermind it could be worse....not much but it could be.

Guest Nazzjonalist mill-gheruq u x-xni

This guy is immortal. Still remember his participation last year in Joe Grima Live on NET

TV-Best comedy show ever..........

Guest me

mintoff raised malta from the gutter. of course he went to the libyans. i'd go to saddam if he gave me what i needed to biuld a strong maltese economy which has been f****d up by the nationalist party namley EFA.We are still reaping from the reforms in troduced by the labour party of the 70s. He screwed up in 1996. In any case like him or not his place in history is secure.

Guest sonicgoofy

Hi - so this is the postmodern way of paying last respects to the old man - measuring by traffic on this thread he's becoming an icon in cyberspace - chapeau-bas mon vieux :pop:.

The man we’re talking about had the skill and guts to put a small community with a unique but ‘irrelevant’ culture on the map – and for some time also on the agenda. The alternative might have be some ethnologist putting it in mothballs in the archives of a museum. It’s a community of semitic origin which since the 16th century lived alongside the high-tech of the great powers yet in total submissiveness without the right to define its identity. Although emancipation due to GB’s recognition to Malta’s WW2 contribution was ‘in the air’, Mintoff proved to have the talent to translate and redefine local values into those suiting of a modern world and supporting his people in this transition – by the way, taking the ‘ideal’ values of the colonizing Brits an founding a democratic Republic based on work and respect for fundamental rights and freedom of the individual. He closed down the British and NATO bases and is one of the few post-colonial leaders to set such high terms to a colonizer.

Mr. Mintoff's primary aim has always been that of securing peace and stability to his community. This is in fact his ethic which he never betrayed to any –isms. Far from following an ideal greater than the community – his only ideal was achieving the best for his community through “Realpolitik” – he had unorthodox methods in achieving this, yet in retrospect his intentions prove to have been honest towards all parties.

-- Il était une fois l'imaginaire, déposé entre désir et plaisir, le geste à naître. ..

....and once there, the deed will never die :)

Just for the keeps, a comment to the BEA steward, Mr. “big Four Donkeys of the Apocolypse”,: The Bullion transport he’s talking about is well documented: On being elected in 1971, the national debt was so high, due to sell-out by the previous Government, that wages to civil servants could not be paid out. After negotiating with several countries, Mintoff got a loan from Libya – which was sent in bullion on the said flight.

Guest flambookey

ha! great site, really. Running a search on ol' Dom Mintoff on google got your site listed second place, good job.

I doubt he'll die within this year, or the next. He is a pretty hard-headed bastard, although admirable.

Oh a note to fellow Maltese drive-by posters - i doubt anyone really cares about desalinisation plants and any half-arsed local scandals. And why did we have to export the whole partisan scam out here on the net? It is pretty ridiculous, I mean, hey i can expect the US of A to think it's the centre of the world, but Malta? Come on.

By the way, what qualified Dom Mintoff to be on this list rather than say, Ringo Starr? Is he that much of a celebrity?

Guest SEAL 04

What the hell is the matter with you people? You guys must be at least 50 years old, cuz the 70's are gone now and you people are still hopped up on weed! <_<

Dom Mintoff was a strong headed dude who did what he thought was best for his country, i don't like the dude all that much, but he isn't an opportunist or a guy going for enhancing his own power, like some guys these days.

Oh, and by the way, Yeti, you sound like a nine year old, so shut the f**k up.

SEAL out.

What the hell is the matter with you people? You guys must be at least 50 years old, cuz the 70's are gone now and you people are still hopped up on weed! <_<

Dom Mintoff was a strong headed dude who did what he thought was best for his country, i don't like the dude all that much, but he isn't an opportunist or a guy going for enhancing his own power, like some guys these days.

Oh, and by the way, Yeti, you sound like a nine year old, so shut the f**k up.

SEAL out.

Another drive by ranter who thinks he owns the Internet and cannot accept the fact that other people have different opinions.

Eh, exactly what did I say ?

Anyway, I see no reason to "Shut the f**k up" just because you can't understand the concept of free speech.

Guest mossedegh

Jesuchristo!

I'm an ignorant American...and while I have heard of the Maltese Knights and their role in 1400s-1700s history, I know little or nothing about Malta's more recent history.

Did the PM of....erm...Malta really do a lot of damage?

I suspect he may of just been looking out for Malta, and noone else, from what I've read...Libyans don't have many friends in Europe, so supply & demand...

Again, just from an American who is rather knowledgable by American standards about Europe (Half of 16yr olds can't find the goddamn Netherlands), but, by the standards of the Western World as a whole, rather ignorant.

Did that make him a big malteser for a while? :ghost:

people living in malta are called Maltese not malteser

Guest Tony smith

:(

Please can you tell me who’s the fu.. Is mintoff?

Guest Carl

Dom isnt a bad Guy so y the fuk slag him off , hes my great uncle and ive met him , he did alot for malta , if it wasnt for malta it wouldnt be as much of a great place as it is .

if it wasnt for malta it wouldnt be as much of a great place as it is .

Eh? Did you really mean to say...

If it wasn't for Malta, Malta wouldn't be such a great place?

Eh? Did you really mean to say...

If it wasn't for Malta, Malta wouldn't be such a great place?

What's so great about Malta anyway?

regards,

Hein

The Country's full name is (was) Malta George Cross, after Britian awarded the country the George Cross. It also had QEII as head of state for a time but it became a Republic within the realms of The British Common Wealth.

Guest EuropeanCosmopolitan

What the F**k are you saying?? that the real name is Malta george cross??

the george cross is just the cross donated to the maltese state and put on the flag of malta mate.

Malta is the name

Malta is the country... small yet very significant/.. 1 of 25 Eu States.

Treaty for the end of cold war between Bush & Gorbachev was signed in Malta.

Always had and still has political relevance...coz of its strategic position,

and since its the footstep between europe and the coasts of Africa. Centre of the Mediterranean. Was once a Fiscal Paradise but now ain't no more.

Mintoff???

Yeah he's the man who saved this country and stood up with huge balls against the bristish to form an independent Republic of Malta, a true politician... few or none like him in these days almost nowhere in the world.

Like him or hate him... he's one of those persons who made a difference, and changed a country's histtory significantly... !He's intelligent and wise and not a nerdish book worm like most politicians. He's also a Rhodes Scholar.

Long Live Dom Mintoff..... (i'm no partisan follower of his party moreover i have different beliefs but i admire the person, his views, his way of acting, and his vision....a Man of Great vision.... put him on the Eternal list not on the Death List!! )