Catherine

Meinhardt Raabe

Meinhardt Raabe is one of the last surviving cast members of The Wizard Of Oz. He is 88, however I have no information on his health.

http://aol.imdb.com/name/nm0704638/

Okay, so this guy HAS to qualify. I've actually seen The Wizard of Oz on television in the UK. (Granted, it was in the early 80's.)

Try as I might, I really can't recall there being a coroner in Wizard of Oz. Admittedly I'm not a huge friend of Dorothy's and I haven't watched the film with Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' as a soundtrack, but I'd know a munchkin if I saw one.

Aren't you forgetting the bit where apparently you can see a member of the crew hanging himself in the background - probably after he accidentially stumbled across the star's trailer...

yeah that guy's a real Hollywood titan. Check out his only other credits:

Memories of Oz (2001) (TV) .... Himself

I Married a Munchkin (1994) (uncredited) .... Himself

We're Off to See the Munchkins (1993) (V) ....Himself

Hmmm, anyone sense a theme there? He is also described as the shortest pilot during WW2, which sounds a bit like being Britain's oldest motorcyclist. How's he doing, by the way Mr. Kid?

Try as I might, I really can't recall there being a coroner in Wizard of Oz.

:angel: He was the mayor!

Guest PeteyBoy27

Meinhardt Raabe played the coroner in The Wizard of Oz not that mayor. He was born in Jefferson County, Wisconsin. Not sure where in Jefferson County....would be interested to know since I live very near to Jefferson County right now. He has not died to my knowledge.

In regards to the post about someone hanging themselves in the background....this legend is false. It is a large bird that raises it head from the ground (assumedly from eating) and then spreads its wings. If you are able to watch it on a big screen (tv or movie) and you will see.

Guest If I told you that...

On a similar theme, Sadie Corrie, the smallest transylvanian is 86. I think she's still in quite good health though. However, she does enjoy her whiskey if you get my meaning

Guest david hibbard

meinhardt raabe lives in Penny Farms, a retirement community, just west of green springs florida. Several years ago he had an auto accident when he ran into the rear of a truck, which subsequently killed his wife who was also a little person. He often makes public appearances with his costume on at various places including schools etc.

Guest kidddd

I can confirm that Meinhardt does indeed live in Penny Farms Retirement Community in I believe Orange County Florida. I know this because my grandparents live in that community and I've actually met Raabe on several occasions. He appears to be in good health for an 80+ year old -- he can still ride a bike!

Guest Lori

Not only is he alive, he has a new book coming out this April. It's called Memories of a Munchkin. It's being published by Watson-Guptill and will retail for $39.95.

Not only is he alive, he has a new book coming out this April. It's called Memories of a Munchkin. It's being published by Watson-Guptill and will retail for $39.95.

Blimey, is he still milking that munchkin thing?

Guest the oz

He was on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight.

Now that he's appeared on Jimmy Kimmell we know his career's well and truly dead. Will the man himself follow? I still contend he falls short (ahem) of the fame test

Guest Ernie

I live nearby, in Florida, and I spoke with Mr. Raabe earlier in the week. He was friendly to me, and very easy to talk to. He spoke of his life, and about The Wizard of Oz movie. He is a very smart man, with a accounting degree from a university in Wisconsin. At 89, he still travels the country attending OZ functions. He really appreciates the attention and love from the fans. When I spoke with him, he had just returned from several book signings in N.Y.C. He is slowing down a bit, but still plans to do the Oz festivals this summer.

He is slowing down a bit, but still plans to do the Oz festivals this summer.

Not to be confused with OZZFEST

Or maybe he's doing a short 'best of' set between Mastodon and As I Lay Dying on the second stage.

Guest LR Williams

http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_...ure&c=8,1050659

This article mentions that Meinhardt in addition to his other success was also an employee of Oscar Mayer for 30 years. As it so happens, So Was I.

I am not claiming any form of fame :old: But, I did also manage to make it to Florida, if that is any sort of accomplisment ! :(

Guest Guest_glinda

Mr. Raabe is alive and well and living in Penney Farms retirement community near Middleburg (Jacksonville), FL. He is still selling autographs.......

Acually when i heard raabe was still living i was quite suprised accounting on from what i knew most small people have shorter lifespans then the average human being.

Though i wonder if he is deathlist material for 2006??

:D Anybody Know if any of the wizard of oz cast are still alive?

I know Dorothy isnt (obv) and Aunty Em commited sucide...

Raabe has his own thread already, I believe.

Threads now merged - DWB :D

Guest Bill

I visited with Mr. Raabe yesterday in Penney Farms, FL which is about an hour south of Jacksonville. Located in Clay county, Penney Farms is home to a retirement community started by JC Penney in memory of his parents, who were missionaries. Mr. Raabe is still active for a man approaching 90 years of age and still loves to discuss Oz activities. He does, indeed, still make appearances around the nation in connection with OZ activities and MGM.

Guest William

There are actually still 9 living munchkins to my knowledge, there may be more but I know of 9.

Not that I have a dwarf fetish or anything, but any chance of naming the surviving Munchkins ?