Sign in to follow this  
anthonyd46

Deathpools

Hi,

I see that some of you talk about something called DDP in the forum and other death pools. I've never heard of any of those the only one ive heard of is http://deadpool.rotten.com/ which is a pretty good one because you can start it from any time of the year and your people get an entire 365 days to die. I never did any of this dead picking things or predicting until late 2006 when i found your deathlist site, so im kinda intersted in these other sites you talk about. What are they and which ones do you think are the best ones. Also has anyone else ever played on the one im a member of?

DDP - Derby Dead Pool - www.derbydeadpool.co.uk

HDP - Hartlepool Deadlypool - www.notapotato.com

As well as that there are other deadpools which belong to other members here.

There is the Canadian Paul Deadpool.

The Weatherman90 deadpool.

Handrejka's poolofdeath.

All three have threads on the forums so you can search them yourself.

I don't run in the rotten deadpool - I prefer the year long deadpools.

Poolofdeath masterlist, it's an intimate little deadpool, kinda like a friendly society where people gather to wish disease and hideous accidents on those more prominent and successful than ourselves.

The only one ive heard of is http://deadpool.rotten.com/ Also has anyone else ever played on the one im a member of?

Yes, but never again.

Too US centric, not well organised, very impersonal & not enough choice allowed are my four main gripes. I entered my team back in September but I've already forgotten who I put on and aren't really bothered how many I get any more.

The DDP tends to be the "big daddy" of the deathpools due to the fact it's been running 11 years, the open-ness of the rules, and allowing people to think outside the box & pick any candidates they want.

the thing i dont like about rotten is theres only a select list of people to choose from plus you can do it anytime in the year. These other ones sound like you start it rigth from the beginning of the year till the end so its a true year. Luckily my rotten one was started late december so it was close, but now i know for next year of some better ones

Also has anyone else ever played on the one im a member of?

The RDP was how I got into all this - got my first hit with Ronald Reagan back in '04, exciting back then as my join date was May 22. I agree with OoO somewhat though, it's awfully frustrating when you can't pick people like George Melly and Chandra Shekhar, ESPECIALLY since they added Shekhar AFTER he died.

Otherwise I don't mind it though - Saberhagen would have never gotten me DDP points it seems, but I did score on the RDP.

Each pool has its plusses and minuses. I'd agree that the DDP is the granddaddy of them all though.

I went mad for deadpools this year, playing most of the main ones with the exception of Rotten which is - kind of - like golf since you have to stick to a marked course, run up your score and wait for everyone else to finish to see if you won. Nowt against it or owt, in fact I like the variety of the pools and I'll bag a rotten team eventually. It's just that the Jan 1st start for most gets the chat and adrenaline flowing around here and focuses us on those tough picks. I've a sneaking affection for poolofdeath because of the wild card 'any of from' picks that could be the deciders in the end. Not sure if my rash any one surviving Deep Purple was such a good idea there. Oddly, with the variety and all, you find different people doing well. So - for example - I'm shite on the main CPDP where I've picked high risk carkers and paid with lack of points cos they get no obits. Then again, my percentage laden CPDP theme team of serious oldsters are slowly dropping like dried leaves, meanwhile, I'm running second in poolofdeath for no discernable reason other than luck. Funny old game, innit?

DDP is the best as it is not too complicated or too simple and the rules are the rules. I'm gutted I didn't get any points for John Smyth, but he had to get a BBC/National newspaper obit and I respect that rule, it's one of its twists for the more obscure picks as to whether they will get proper obits...

Of course the DDP has shot up in popularity in the last 3/4 years, indeed it has become a victim of its success, with the processing of nearly 500 entrants this year. If the boys can find a way of coping with this surge, then I see no reason why it can't continue indefinitely... :lol:

DDP is the best as it is not too complicated or too simple and the rules are the rules. I'm gutted I didn't get any points for John Smyth, but he had to get a BBC/National newspaper obit and I respect that rule, it's one of its twists for the more obscure picks as to whether they will get proper obits...

Of course the DDP has shot up in popularity in the last 3/4 years, indeed it has become a victim of its success, with the processing of nearly 500 entrants this year. If the boys can find a way of coping with this surge, then I see no reason why it can't continue indefinitely... :lol:

And get, advertising, sponsorship and sold to AOL for a few hundred million dollars. Death is the future, for us all!