Typhoid Harry

South Africa, Huh?

Dead Couple to Be Married

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African man who shot his pregnant fiance dead before killing himself will be posthumously married to her at the weekend.

Police Captain Mohale Ramatseba said David Masenta shot 25-year-old Mgwanini Molomo after a quarrel before turning the gun on himself. But Johannesburg's Sowetan newspaper said family and friends wanted to remember them as a happy couple destined for a happy life together.

The groom's corpse would be dressed in a cream suit and his bride's in a gown for the ceremony, at which a priest in the rural village of Ceres in Limpopo will bless the union before the two are buried, the Sowetan said.

"In African culture, there is no death -- there is merely the separation of body and soul," said cultural expert Mathole Motshekga. "It is also important because the families are married together."

"This does not mean the relationship has irretrievably broken down."

Um, I'm at a loss here, gentlemen... -TH :huh:

What an amazing find Harry! But, surely, it should of read:

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A South African man who shot his pregnant fiance dead before killing himself will be post-humorously married to her at the weekend.

I wonder what happens if she now asks him for a divorce, posthumously?

She might have grounds.

She might have grounds.

Groooaaaannnn! :huh:

I hear the authorities suspect conspiracy, something about a mutual plot...

Latest reports suggest that the Stag Night (Bachelor Party) was a very disappointing affair...

Latest reports suggest that the Stag Night (Bachelor Party) was a very disappointing affair...

Funny, I heard it was quite a wake, if not very lively...

Guest Guest

I think you may be at a lost here because you are used to the western concept of a marriage as being between two people. This is not the case in Africa and many parts of Asia where conceptually speaking the matching of the two families together more for property reasons is considered more important to the society than if the two people love each other or are even physically alive.

Also many African cultures believe that the spirits still live in a plane covered only by a thin veneer and can still be seen by those sensitive enough to such as sangomas (native healers) or such.

I would suggest reading some Anthropology books on African culture and religion to get a better understanding of this phenomena. I am an Anthropology major married to a white South African who has worked with African non-profits and even with all of that it took awhile for me to wrap my head around the concept.

Valerie

Also many African cultures believe that the spirits still live in a plane covered only by a thin veneer and can still be seen by those sensitive enough to such as sangomas (native healers) or such.

Valerie

What, like a Boeing 747 wrapped in cling film? Did I read you right Val?

I think you may be at a lost here because you are used to the western concept of a marriage as being between two people.
That would certainly explain why no-one had anything to add to this thread for nearly 2 years, our Western-biased attitudes meant we simply didn't know what questions to ask; :) DL'ers aren't in the habit of just putting their opinions on this site without being able to back them up, heaven forbid! That's what Wikipedia is for. :birthday:

Being slightly picky, wasn't even this marriage between two people/bodies? The fact that the relatives still needed to get them married even after the 'unfortunate gun incident' surely shows that whatever the family/estate/society based advantages to the marriage, it is nonetheless an act between the couple that makes it a marriage. Willing or unwilling, arranged or through love, dead or alive, still between two people.

It does lead to the worrying question of whether such marriages can occur if only one of the couple dies pre-nuptials, and can the living one then divorce, and if so on what grounds?

I eagerly await a reply, perhaps before the end of 2008.

I'm wondering if the marriage was consummated.

I think you may be at a lost here because you are used to the western concept of a marriage as being between two people.

Valerie

I think you may a bit lost here because you are not used to the western concept of laughing at what appears to be funny to us. What's next, live funerals?

Gunjaman5000

Valerie

I think you may a bit lost here because you are not used to the western concept of laughing at what appears to be funny to us. What's next, live funerals?

Gunjaman5000

Maybe not live funerals but improvised ones. There was a story in Today's Telegraph of a groom who'd waited 30 years to marry the love of his life but dropped dead on the day of the wedding. The fiancee Liz, decided not to cancel the reception in Leeds and went ahead with it as a wake.