Sign in to follow this  
Lord Fellatio Nelson

Fings Aint Wot They Used To Be..

Potted history of Glasgow (abriged version). There was once some eatery called Jimmy Chunder and then the Scots capitulated to some nancy Aussies in floral boardies and flip-flops. Sub plot: Star Crossed bought flowers to help develop his stamp collection.

Is it mandatory for every f'ucker on here to have been a lazy cnut student?

No wonder we have so many Polish Plumbers and Lithuainian Alcoholics/Shoplifters labourers.

What happened to the days of leaving School at 16 and learning a trade, usually a useful one ( not gerbil juggling, or summat ), and actually earning a living?

The Conservatives, or shall we say the greengrocer's daughter?

All a bit before my time current affairs wise. My major concerns would have been doing a million bounces on a Lolo ball, Pac-Man, Swingball, Dad fixing Cindy's head/arm/leg again after finding the elastic limit of Cindy in a demonstration of Hooke's law, that Rubiks puzzle - the one with the rings which everyone "boxed" i.e. forced it to go in a direction it shouldn't, you know that sort of thing. However, I digress, something tells me it is all her fault. Did she not cause the decline in proper apprenticeships? Was she responsible for introducing the YTS monkey exploitation scheme where you take a bunch of 16-17 year olds, teach them nothing and pay them peanuts?

Then came along John Major's government who gave a charter to any two bit poly, giving them silly names but sticking university in the title somewhere. This then deluded your would be plumbers and navvies into some mickey mouse course in German peace studies from 1919 -1936 with Hebrew, golf management studies, surf science or outdoor activites with philosophy concurrently devaluing the degrees already in existence / lowering education standards / insert cliched argument in here. Faux artificial intelligence courses aside the joke must have somewhat backfired given the stories of Cambridge academics sidestepping into plumbing because well it paid a damn sight more.

Snob, moi?

Potted history of Glasgow (abriged version). There was once some eatery called Jimmy Chunder and then the Scots capitulated to some nancy Aussies in floral boardies and flip-flops. Sub plot: Star Crossed bought flowers to help develop his stamp collection.

Is it mandatory for every f'ucker on here to have been a lazy cnut student?

No wonder we have so many Polish Plumbers and Lithuainian Alcoholics/Shoplifters labourers.

What happened to the days of leaving School at 16 and learning a trade, usually a useful one ( not gerbil juggling, or summat ), and actually earning a living?

The Conservatives, or shall we say the greengrocer's daughter?

All a bit before my time current affairs wise. My major concerns would have been doing a million bounces on a Lolo ball, Pac-Man, Swingball, Dad fixing Cindy's head/arm/leg again after finding the elastic limit of Cindy in a demonstration of Hooke's law, that Rubiks puzzle - the one with the rings which everyone "boxed" i.e. forced it to go in a direction it shouldn't, you know that sort of thing. However, I digress, something tells me it is all her fault. Did she not cause the decline in proper apprenticeships? Was she responsible for introducing the YTS monkey exploitation scheme where you take a bunch of 16-17 year olds, teach them nothing and pay them peanuts?

Then came along John Major's government who gave a charter to any two bit poly, giving them silly names but sticking university in the title somewhere. This then deluded your would be plumbers and navvies into some mickey mouse course in German peace studies from 1919 -1936 with Hebrew, golf management studies, surf science or outdoor activites with philosophy concurrently devaluing the degrees already in existence / lowering education standards / insert cliched argument in here. Faux artificial intelligence courses aside the joke must have somewhat backfired given the stories of Cambridge academics sidestepping into plumbing because well it paid a damn sight more.

Snob, moi?

Somewhere in there lies the truth.

I always reckoned that, as Maggie cottoned on to the aspirations of the "working class," it seemed fitting for said families to not only own their own homes but to boast that young Gary/Tracy Scum was off to Uni.

The fact that they were only of average intelligence wasnt a problem once the bar was lowered to suit.

Problem with that is these people begin to believe that they truly are smarter than they actually are.

No wonder the Country is royally f'ucked now.

I was having a sort out earlier today, as you do ("Trash in the Attic" if you will), and discovered a few pages of a copy of the Sheffield Star dated December 30th 1982.

I knew you'd be interested...

It seems that Prince Andrew was shagging some bird named Koo Stark, the government wanted us all to be paid by cheque not cash and Jack "the dandy" Parisi, one of America's most feared hitmen had died aged 83.

A government survey revealed that 97% of families in Britain had a television and almost 76% a telephone; average before-tax income was £167.60.

The cinemas were showing E.T. and Mary Poppins; on TV you could watch Top of the Pops with Jimmy Savile, or highlights of the fourth Ashes test from Melbourne (on the BBC :( ). England won by three runs. Commercial TV offered a celebrity special Krypton Factor (strange, I though celeb special were a more recent development) while Channel 4 had a proper reality show called Citizen 2000, a long-term study of 15 children from differing backgrounds who will come of age in 2000. All 4 stations finshed with 'Closedown' (at 12, 1215, 1230 and 1245 respecytively). Radio 1 included such luminaries as Simon Bates and DLT, while Radio2 had David Hamilton, Cliff Michelmore and Gloria Hunniford

What particularly caught my eye was this advert for Lasky's (a Hi-Fi store for those not old enough to remember, or those old enough to be having memory problems) New Year Sale, which boasted such bargains as

Hitachi CPT 1624 16" Portable colour TV for £229 (thats £20 off)

ATARI 800 Microcomputer 16K (expandable to 48K) full size keyboard high res colour graphic display & sound generator , save £120, now £379. (monitor not includeed)

Sony SLC6 VCR, Betamax format, seven-day timer, freeze-frame facility, optional remote control, £30 off at only £369.

Some fings were the same back then though, there was a recession, drug abuse, drink problems, school truancy, threats of industrial action ...

Plus ça change...

Well done Time. I'd forgotten this splendid thread. I've just been given an old car that has a tape deck so have had to rootle around among my old cassette tapes. Unfortunately I couldn't find my boxed set of This Sceptred Isle with Anna Massey - great radio.

I notice there's a move afoot to revive returnable bottles where you get money back so in this case fings might be as they used to be again.

Other things I miss:

Chalk boards - better than white boards.

Slamdoor trains.

Everything about steam trains. I used to have an office colleague who enjoyed sniffing shed plates. He would bring them to work and take one out for a sniff every now and again.

News stories about the space race. I loved the space race.

The pink 'un on Saturday afternoons that gave you the half time scores when all matches were played on a Saturday afternoon.

The teleprinter that gave you the full time scores - seemed to have a mind of its own.

Smaller fields before so many hedgerows were grubbed up.

The Co-op "divi".

Getting your train ticket clipped.

Things I don't miss:

Aztec bars. They were rubbish.

Double diamond, Watney's red, Younger's Tartan and many other ghastly ales.

Vesta curries. They always had raisins in them.

Linoleum (what we called oil cloth).

Silver fish (that hid under the linoleum).

Nylon shirts.

Anything made out of crimplene.

Plastic-coated "washable" wallpaper. Rubbing the tomato sauce off that stuff made your hair stand on end.

Well done Time. I'd forgotten this splendid thread. I've just been given an old car that has a tape deck so have had to rootle around among my old cassette tapes. Unfortunately I couldn't find my boxed set of This Sceptred Isle with Anna Massey - great radio.

I notice there's a move afoot to revive returnable bottles where you get money back so in this case fings might be as they used to be again.

Other things I miss:

Chalk boards - better than white boards.

Slamdoor trains.

Everything about steam trains. I used to have an office colleague who enjoyed sniffing shed plates. He would bring them to work and take one out for a sniff every now and again.

News stories about the space race. I loved the space race.

The pink 'un on Saturday afternoons that gave you the half time scores when all matches were played on a Saturday afternoon.

The teleprinter that gave you the full time scores - seemed to have a mind of its own.

Smaller fields before so many hedgerows were grubbed up.

The Co-op "divi".

Getting your train ticket clipped.

Things I don't miss:

Aztec bars. They were rubbish.

Double diamond, Watney's red, Younger's Tartan and many other ghastly ales.

Vesta curries. They always had raisins in them.

Linoleum (what we called oil cloth).

Silver fish (that hid under the linoleum).

Nylon shirts.

Anything made out of crimplene.

Plastic-coated "washable" wallpaper. Rubbing the tomato sauce off that stuff made your hair stand on end.

The mention of linoleum and plastic coated wallpaper brings back memories, as we had both when I was a little 'un.