Sign in to follow this  
Lord Fellatio Nelson

Fings Aint Wot They Used To Be..

I confess that I am very nostalgic.

I can remember when Coca Cola was sold in bottles, The Banana Splits were Kings and Southampton actually had a decent football team and won the FA Cup ( Sorry Mono).

Question. What are you nostalgic for?

A Particular sweet? ( Candy to you bleedin Yanks :pop: )

Era?

TV Programme?

As its a nostalgia thread, wind the clock back and come fill yer boots!!!

I can remember when Coca Cola was sold in bottles, The Banana Splits were Kings and Southampton actually had a decent football team and won the FA Cup ( Sorry Mono).

A Particular sweet? ( Candy to you bleedin Yanks :pop: )

Era?

TV Programme?

First the video vault and now this. Going through the andropause, Nelly?

A Particular sweet? ( Candy to you bleedin Yanks :) )

Era?

TV Programme?

First the video vault and now this. Going through the andropause, Nelly?

Its a possibility Harry.

Then is certainly better than now, even if it wasnt really :pop:

Besides, I like it!!

Nothing. That's life. People die, jobs change, and life transforms into others things. Everything dies. If you want my honesty, the past means nothing to me. It's crumbs off of a table. It doesn't matter. If you want something, go find it.

I guess at some capacity you will always keep certain interests or friends but in the end we must look towards what is to come. Life changes and you must change with it. There is a beauty to that.

Nothing. That's life. People die, jobs change, and life transforms into others things. Everything dies. If you want my honesty, the past means nothing to me. It's crumbs off of a table. It doesn't matter. If you want something, go find it.

I guess at some capacity you will always keep certain interests or friends but in the end we must look towards what is to come. Life changes and you must change with it. There is a beauty to that.

Banshees - loth as I am to say it, you have just posted the most sensible, apt, timely post you will EVER post. You will never know the absolute relevance of what you have just posted. Thank you :pop:

Now, steady on old boy, or I may well become nostalgic for the times when you posted complete bollocks :)

No it wasn't............... This might have been.

And this

Isn't she going to be The Next Doctor's companion in exactly the same get up? :pop:

I get nostalgic for times I never even lived in!

mallowcupinsidell2.jpg Mallo Cups. Yes, Lord.

They have a very thin layer of milk chocolate with just the right amount of coconut, and in the center is some marshmallow goo.They haven't completely disappeared yet, but are probably in the process of becoming extinct. Or maybe they really are gone for good and I bought the very last one last year in a Hess Gas Station. :pop:

I'll have a pack of these...

candy-cigarettes1_small.jpg

I can remember when Coca Cola was sold in bottles.....

You can still get Coca Cola in glass bottles LFN, the only place I know that sells them is Sainsbury's, it tastes a million times better out of glass bottles. Am I the only person that remembers crisps called Rock and Rollers? No one I know can remember them, yet I'm sure they were around in the early 1970's. Then there is always the mighty Texan bar.

My favourite crisps were Seabrook which are still a bit of a cult in Yorkshire apparently. I didn't miss the little blue salt bags in Smith's Crisps which were revived a few years ago.

Other things I miss:

Sparrows - don't see them much anymore.

Fish and chips fried in pork dripping, still available in the North but not darn sarf.

Beefsteak dumplings cooked in a muslin cloth with - I hesitate to mention it - thick gravy.

Real knitting, you know when your mum knitted you a wool pullover with a nice pattern. I liked that.

John Noakes

Decent snow, also decent fog, thick enough to play hide and seek in.

Elsewhere on TV: The Likely Lads, Danger Man, The Man from Uncle, Steptoe and Son, The Virginian and Adam Adamant.

Wishbone Ash

Mill dams with sticklebacks and newts (although I still have them - sticklebacks and newts).

Ginnels

The funny plastic smell of Ford Anglias.

Chumping for bonfire night and buying your fireworks one at a time and the whole bonfire night experience with pie and peas and jacket potatoes.

Getting a refill of Tetley bitter in my empty pint glass instead of getting a clean glass.

Proper Bradford curries were pretty good too with plenty of change for a pound and the chapatis made fine ashtrays.

Airfix soldiers, already mentioned at length here.

Snogging, with no certainty it would be more than a snog, in fact near certainty that a snog was as good as it was going to get.

Playing cards for money among the family.

Conversations - I miss those most of all.

Danger

We certainly seem to be overly concerned with protecting ourselves. Ever see a kid struggling to ride a bike and sweating under a full body armour of kneepads, elbow pads and an enormous helmet? He's not going to fall over and get a concussion, but he's not going to enjoy the ride much either.

Danger

We certainly seem to be overly concerned with protecting ourselves. Ever see a kid struggling to ride a bike and sweating under a full body armour of kneepads, elbow pads and an enormous helmet? He's not going to fall over and get a concussion, but he's not going to enjoy the ride much either.

I remember us kids using the slope of the school yard as a fantastic slide during winter. We polished it up so well it was like an ice rink. You could go the whole length of the yard if you took a run up from the grassed area, hit it at speed and had the nerve. I can't see the kids of today being allowed the leeway to be as stupid as us and have as much fun. Admitedly I've got a rather large scar on my bonce from such shennanigans one year, but that was all part of the adrenaline rush that made it so good.

Danger

I remember us kids using the slope of the school yard as a fantastic slide during winter. We polished it up so well it was like an ice rink. You could go the whole length of the yard if you took a run up from the grassed area, hit it at speed and had the nerve. I can't see the kids of today being allowed the leeway to be as stupid as us and have as much fun. Admitedly I've got a rather large scar on my bonce from such shennanigans one year, but that was all part of the adrenaline rush that made it so good.

An icy hill, a sled, and thou, beside me in a snowdrift laced with cinders! I took a few hits to the bonce myself but I didn't get a scar. Actually, I'm sure that there were no consequences at all.

:huh::mellow::blink: What was I saying...? Oh.

Am I the only person that remembers crisps called Rock and Rollers? No one I know can remember them, yet I'm sure they were around in the early 1970's.

The name rings a bell LG. What did they look like?

I have particularly fond memories of 49ers which looked a bit like wagon wheels and tasted like Pickled Onion Monster Munch.

Monster Munch is also not the same since they made them smaller.

And where can I get a pint of beer with a head that sticks out more than an inch above the rim of the glass?

I remember getting such a pint of Cameron's Strongarm in a family room in the Blacksmith's Arms in Hartlepool back in the 80's.

Last time I was there they'd modernised the place and it wasn't the same at all.

Am I the only person that remembers crisps called Rock and Rollers? No one I know can remember them, yet I'm sure they were around in the early 1970's.

I have particularly fond memories of 49ers which looked a bit like wagon wheels and tasted like Pickled Onion Monster Munch.

They were shell shaped NAP, I found this link which proves I wasn't imagining things. I don't remember '49'ers though, I still miss cheese and onion Ringos, they were the best.

They were shell shaped NAP, I found this link which proves I wasn't imagining things. I don't remember '49'ers though, I still miss cheese and onion Ringos, they were the best.

Here's a link about the 1976 advert, which contains next to no information apart from the date and production company.

I remember doing that in err.... October.

Got a good 20 feet across the car park at work. No broken bones though.

Danger

On the other hand, my son was riding to school and caught his wheel in a crack in the sidewalk. He went over the handlebars and landed on his head on the pavement. He landed hard enough to crack the helmet. He had a concussion and some bruises but that was all. It could have been a lot worse - he's 6'1" and 235#. A lot of force went into that crash.

I hark back to the days when you could go in any pub on Christmas or New Year's Eve and not be charged a f*****g tenner to get in. Bastards.

Big Toffee Crisps. They're f*****g tiny now. When a woman needs chocolate, she needs it big. I can do a Toffee Crisp in two gobfuls nowadays.