Sign in to follow this  
Magere Hein

Harry Mulisch

Perhaps this should be in topic The Dutch.

There are strong rumours that Harry Mulisch (83), a Dutch author fairly known abroad, is suffering from cancer and near death.

Mind that earlier reports of his impending death proved somewhat exaggerated.

regards,

Hein

Mulisch should be a cert for British broadsheet obits, right? Might be one to scribble down on top of a post-it note and leave around for next year's line-ups.

Mulisch should be a cert for British broadsheet obits, right? Might be one to scribble down on top of a post-it note and leave around for next year's line-ups.

I think Mulish will indeed get a UK obit. As I understand it, he may not make it to 2011, but again, I have some doubts.

Several Dutch newspapers have his illness as news, although it all seems to boil down to: his friend Marcel van Dam says so. His publisher has confirmed that Mulisch's health is deteriorating, but gives no further details.

His death would be hit for PNDP.

regards,

Hein

AMSTERDAM - Harry Mulisch are seriously sick. The writer of among others the attack and the discovery of the sky will have to live according to sources of AD still but short. © DUTCH PRESS AGENCY examine video Publisher busy at confirms compared with NU.nl that to Friday the health of Mulisch reverse will, but does not want further its exact situation discuss. In small ring it has been already longer confessed that he is sick, thus late know the editor. According to AD Mulisch from cancer would suffer. Friend Marcel of dam states in the newspaper that the 83 person whose birthday it is author ' ' there seriously to toe'' is. Another source tells that the writer at home no more people no longer invite and eat.

AMSTERDAM - Harry Mulisch are seriously sick. The writer of among others the attack and the discovery of the sky will have to live according to sources of AD still but short. © DUTCH PRESS AGENCY examine video Publisher busy at confirms compared with NU.nl that to Friday the health of Mulisch reverse will, but does not want further its exact situation discuss. In small ring it has been already longer confessed that he is sick, thus late know the editor. According to AD Mulisch from cancer would suffer. Friend Marcel of dam states in the newspaper that the 83 person whose birthday it is author ' ' there seriously to toe'' is. Another source tells that the writer at home no more people no longer invite and eat.

Reading this, kind of hurts my eyes.

The Dutch article says that Mulisch has just a short time to life.

Little is know about his precise health condition, but the newspaper AD claims he is suffering from cancer.

some sources say he isn't eating anymore (which probably is a very bad sign)

I guess Marcel wasn't kidding, then.

A short but sweet thread.

That was a two day wonder...

<--- But then there were a few people living in hope of some NLDP points from the start of the year!

Harry Mulisch (83), a Dutch author fairly known abroad, [...]

Well, that proved to be an understatement.

Al major newpapers abroad write about his death. No Nobel prize, though.

I've read quite a few of his books. The first one, Het Stenen Bruidsbed ("The Stone Bridal Bed"), I read when I was about 15, and it didn't mean much to me. This caused me to give his other work a miss untill I was in my 30s. I read both old an new work and rather liked it. I even reread Het Stenen Bruidsbed and was surprised to learn that it's crystal clear. It's one of those books for which the reader needs some knowledge to appreciate it.

A fine author died.

regards,

Hein