Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Will Transhumanism Kill The Deathlist?

Pie in the sky or are we on the verge of major brekthroughs in cybernetics? :D

"There are transhumanist thinkers who say that perhaps the first person to live for a thousand years is alive even now, if a series of problems could be overcome..."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bodysphere/the-transhuman-condition/5314790

• Like 2

I read something on a russian billionaire who wants to upload minds , I think that has a chance to take off in the coming decades.

The human body is old technology and is very inefficient and once Pandora's box has been opened it won't close . Eyes that never degenerate and see better ,ears that hear better , legs that never get tired or hurt running . The moment someone sees the benefit of one argumentation they will want another and another. At that point when someone is 51% cybernetic 49% flesh and bone are they human anymore ? They have believe it or not even bulit a cybernetic sperm . Once you have part human part cyborgs that can self replicate you pretty much are seeing the end of flesh and bone humans ,especially with falling fertility rates.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/scientists-create-a-controlled-cyborg-sperm-that-can-sw-1481503095

They are already taking out jobs , next it will be our women :D . Not sure i would want to sleep with a cybernetic woman, but then again suppose it would depend on her skills haha.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/03/14/machines-that-can-learn-could-replace-half-of-american-jobs-in-the-next-decade-or-two-oxford-study/?__lsa=de41-c9de

This is a subject that really interests me because me , you or anyone who can live for the next 40 years reading this have a realistic chance to live forever . The idea's are there , The technology is not far away and you have billionaires willing to fund it.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-07/billionaires-russian-mogul-wants-upload-your-brains-immortality

I still think there will be a place for the deathlist though , large groups of people will reject it and im sure even part cyborg part humans can die too, accidents etc.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

How long would it be before this uploaded mind started getting corrupted like computer software and turn the person into a mentally unstable lunatic?

God/nature made us mortal for a very good reason.Maybe we should just respect God/natures superior knowledge and not interfere too much with the established order

Question is, would you really want to live forever??

Yes. Next question.

• Like 1

Question is, would you really want to live forever??

Yes. Next question.

Hahah. Yes, EGN, I was just about to post something similar.

I've had a quick think about it, and the answer is pretty much yes - assuming the world survives past the current era/Russia crisis without us all being covered in plutonium/whatever else, that is.

Or, I want to live as long as possible until I get sick of it or the world gets too fucked up.

And if/when technology advances to the point where all maintenance work and sustenance is taken care of by magical self-sustaining robots, and we all get our hands on some super high-tech, artificially-genetically-engineered, but still-nice-and-squidgy robot concubines that are basically 99.9999999999999% indistinguishable from the real thing, I'm gonna guess there will be substantially less wars in that future world...

But wait....... the robot concubines would probably break down at some point.... and that would just make people more angry and destructive than ever. oh fuck....

Sounds fine as long as you're filthy rich and no one unplugs you...

• Like 1

I don't think it's practical, or indeed desirable. Really, can you imagine being stuck with the people you can't stand for all eternity?!?! To put that in perspective, envision a world where annoying guest posters never die!!!

• Like 2

However this might be a solution to interstellar travel.

Assuming the Timelords don't send Brian Blessed to wipe us out to prevent the spread of this technology.

• Like 1

I don't think it's practical, or indeed desirable. Really, can you imagine being stuck with the people you can't stand for all eternity?!?! To put that in perspective, envision a world where annoying guest posters never die!!!

You mean..... the one we live in now?

• Like 1

You mean..... the one we live in now?

Only they will all die eventually, know it probably doesn't seem like it...

They are already taking out jobs , next it will be our women :D .

Made me LOL. I'm a SciFi junkie and I've read quite a few stories involving cyborgs &c. I am not as optimistic as some of the culttranshumanists. While interfacing neurons with electronics is reality, that doesn't mean we're anywhere near controling machines directly from our nervous system, bypassing limbs, and getting sensory data back. I agree that once we are, economic forces will do the rest.

Of course, cyborgs aren't immortal, as long as there's a living brain inside that will deteriorate over time. I'm not sure that upload-your-mind kite will fly. It's somewhat related to artificial intelligence, and progress in that field has been minimal in the last two decennia. As with several other difficult inventions1, it's been 50 years away for as long as I remember, conveniently far in the future for the people making statements to that effect. By the time they can be queried about their predictions, they're probably dead.

1Like the space elevator, nuclear fusion power or high quality natural language translations by computer.

regards,

Hein

• Like 2

The elderly of the future will claim they are not what they appear and this will be the truth.

I do not want them to say they are young and swear to it.

They are already taking out jobs , next it will be our women :D .

Made me LOL. I'm a SciFi junkie and I've read quite a few stories involving cyborgs &c. I am not as optimistic as some of the culttranshumanists. While interfacing neurons with electronics is reality, that doesn't mean we're anywhere near controling machines directly from our nervous system, bypassing limbs, and getting sensory data back. I agree that once we are, economic forces will do the rest.

Of course, cyborgs aren't immortal, as long as there's a living brain inside that will deteriorate over time. I'm not sure that upload-your-mind kite will fly. It's somewhat related to artificial intelligence, and progress in that field has been minimal in the last two decennia. As with several other difficult inventions1, it's been 50 years away for as long as I remember, conveniently far in the future for the people making statements to that effect. By the time they can be queried about their predictions, they're probably dead.

1Like the space elevator, nuclear fusion power or high quality natural language translations by computer.

regards,

Hein

Spot on but... like I said, I was bored so I made the thread. :)

Guest Phoebo

I am dissapointed to see no Ladyboy pics after reading thread title.