Sign in to follow this  
paulh85

Which Names Would You Drop?

There are over 30 names on the 2015 list that were over 90 at the beginning of the year but we cannot just say that because someone is over 90 they should get a free pass to the next year. I have listed below 25 people who are over 90 who have never been on the Deathlist and if you scoured the list of survivors I am sure that there are another 15 or so names that are equally valid.

1. Mary Wilson
  2. Yashuiro Nakasone
  3. Alan Young
  4. Sheila Mercier
  5. Clarissa Eden
  6. George Schultz
  7. Carol Channing
  8. Gordon Murray
  9. Jimmy Young
  10. John Glenn
  11. Jackie Stallone
  12. Kay Starr
  13. Bob Barker
  14. Glynnis Johns
  15. Nicholas Fisk
  16. Franco Zeffarelli
  17. Murray Walker
  18. Jimmy Perry
  19. Kenneth Kaunda
  20. Eve Marie Saint
  21. Tony Britton
  22. Jimmy Carter
  23. Richard Baker
  24. Brian Aldiss
  25. Pete Murray

I am not suggesting these are better names just there are plenty of people to pick from on age alone.

• Like 1

There are over 30 names on the 2015 list that were over 90 at the beginning of the year but we cannot just say that because someone is over 90 they should get a free pass to the next year. I have listed below 25 people who are over 90 who have never been on the Deathlist and if you scoured the list of survivors I am sure that there are another 15 or so names that are equally valid.

1. Mary Wilson
  2. Yashuiro Nakasone
  3. Alan Young
  4. Sheila Mercier
  5. Clarissa Eden
  6. George Schultz
  7. Carol Channing
  8. Gordon Murray
  9. Jimmy Young
  10. John Glenn
  11. Jackie Stallone
  12. Kay Starr
  13. Bob Barker
  14. Glynnis Johns
  15. Nicholas Fisk
  16. Franco Zeffarelli
  17. Murray Walker
  18. Jimmy Perry
  19. Kenneth Kaunda
  20. Eve Marie Saint
  21. Tony Britton
  22. Jimmy Carter
  23. Richard Baker
  24. Brian Aldiss
  25. Pete Murray

I am not suggesting these are better names just there are plenty of people to pick from on age alone.

there seems to be an eagerness on here to pick people who are famous and stick them on the list every year untill they die.

This goes against what i believe the list is all about, and there are some names you mentioned that im going to do some digging on for my own 2016 list :D

• Like 1

Wasn't it Joe Frazier that said ' The problem with Muhammad Ali is that he doesn't know how to die.' I think he is getting towards the back end as since he was in Hospital at the beginning of the year he hasn't been seen publicly i don't think. I think if Ali was in reasonable health he would of been present at the Boxing Hall of Fame awards dinner were he was inducted the other week, instead it was his daughter who received the award on his behalf. I know you can't die from Parkinson's but i think it does generally shorten your life expectancy as you are more likely to get other illnesses such as pneumonia etc and Ali is said to be at the later stages of Parkinson's so surely he can't go on forever even if it seems as if he will do. Also i think both of Ali's parents died when they were in there mid 70's so it is always possible that Ali could follow the route of his parents. On the other hand though the average life span of someone with Parkinson's is 16 years after the diagnosis and Ali was diagnosed almost 35 years ago so he is a survivor and he will have the best medical care so who knows?

Well I won't bust on someone for putting Ali on their list. He certainly is a fair choice. But saying he is a 'can't miss' for 2016 begs the question.

I'm sure we all approach putting our lists together differently. Sir Creep is going to put every person with Stage 3 or worse cancer on his list before he finds room for Ali, for they're all but guaranteed to be in the final 24 months on this big blue marble, whereas Ali, who knows. And SirC can name a good 20 people that meet that simple criteria. Add a few real old people and/or folks from this year's DL, and there probably aren't 10 slots left. Is Ali one of the 10 most likely people on earth to die by Dec 2016? SC will get back to you Dec 31, he may know more at that time. But if nothing new arises, Sir Creep may have a tough time answering 'yes' to that.

SC

Sorry delayed response.

Obviously there are lots of different ways of putting together a list but the main Death List for me has two roles - one is to be successful at predicting famous deaths but also to bring people to the site who can become new members and hence keep the site alive.

When Bumhole Arsehole dies no one is going to give a shit (apart from him, literally) so no new members - when Ali dies people will be googling him and I think it would be good if some people landed here because whilst most will be horrified some will find the humorous and frank approach to death refreshing and enjoyable and stick around.

For me I arrived on this site, as I'm sure will many others have, when I googled Clive Dunn to find out if he was alive or dead and I'm still here now even though he isn't.

• Like 1

I'm horrified but it's like driving by a dead body, I have to keep looking!

SC

• Like 1

Guest For whom the Bell tolls

Ken Kercheval is cuurently filming a movie called "Promise". At 80 years old he is still a baby compared to many on the list.

Henry Kissinger just published a book and is still going strong. Dick van Dykk looked good in the Night in the museum III film. He Even did a soft-toe dance.