Spade_Cooley

Deadpool Detective Work

2 hours ago, LWCZ said:

I got bit of a tricky one. I think many people on this site came across this song (which went viral about a year or two ago as "the first rap song").

I'm 101% sure that George McFadden, the bass vocalist of The Jubalaires is long dead (he'd probably be supercentenarian by now if he wasn't). However, unlike the rest of the group, there seems to be no information about him, anywhere (both when he was born and when he passed). I've been trying to find anything on him for the past few weeks, but to no avail.

The only relevant info I have is that after the Jubalaires dissolved, he started performing as "Biggie McFadden" (with The Jubilee Four, with whom he also performed in 1964 Viva Las Vegas; their song "The Climb" has been reportedly produced by Elvis Presley himself), and that he performed at least until 1979 (as a backing vocalist on Ry Cooder's album Bop Till You Drop).

You sure? This newspaper clipping from 1979 refers to that performer as John "Biggie" McFadden, not George.

Edit: And this 1949 clipping refers to him as George "Biggie" McFadden. All rather confusing. Can't find any trace of him after 1979 though, sorry.

18 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

From the comments of the first video:

Thanks! I completely overlooked that

16 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Edit: And this 1949 clipping refers to him as George "Biggie" McFadden. All rather confusing. Can't find any trace of him after 1979 though, sorry.

That's okay. I'm sure he was George McFadden, as he's also referred to as such when he performed with the Kuf-Linx and when he later toured with George Holmes' (or Gaines Steele's) Ink Spots in late 70s. I also have a strong feeling he may have originally been from Pennsylvania, as this site suggests he joined the Jubalaires when they moved from Florida in 1941.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LWCZ said:

Thanks! I completely overlooked that

That's okay. I'm sure he was George McFadden, as he's also referred to as such when he performed with the Kuf-Linx and when he later toured with George Holmes' (or Gaines Steele's) Ink Spots in late 70s. I also have a strong feeling he may have originally been from Pennsylvania, as this site suggests he joined the Jubalaires when they moved from Florida in 1941.

Have you had a look through Ancestry? If not I can check later.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Have you had a look through Ancestry? If not I can check later.

Sadly I haven't. I'd be glad if you would check it, as I used to have access (at least) to MyHeritage records, but I haven't really got time for it lately so I cancelled the subscription last May.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LWCZ said:

Sadly I haven't. I'd be glad if you would check it, as I used to have access (at least) to MyHeritage records, but I haven't really got time for it lately so I cancelled the subscription last May.

Can't find anything on Ancestry owing to the fact that we don't have a rough idea of birth and death years but here's some new info.

He was confirmed alive as late as November 1984 and possibly 1988 when he was touring and performing as a member of The Ink Spots. An earlier article from 1981 noted that he had taken hiatus from the group due to ill health, but it seems he recovered. I reckon he died between the late 80s and mid 90s.