Sign in to follow this  
The Happy Reaper

"mind The Gap" Man

• Like 2

We do not start threads for people who are (1) not famous and (2) already dead.

If in doubt, post a death in "The Dead of 2016" thread.

There is also a thread for Voice Actors where Phil Sayer could arguably be recorded since "He and his wife Elinor Hamilton later set up a company as voice-over artists".

• Like 2

I'm not trying to start an argument but he was famous enough to get an obituary on the BBC website - I thought that was the qualification?

However, thanks for the pointer towards the right thread - I'll remember that in future.

I'm not trying to start an argument but he was famous enough to get an obituary on the BBC website - I thought that was the qualification?

However, thanks for the pointer towards the right thread - I'll remember that in future.

Certainly not the qualification for having his own thread, you loon. There's hundreds of people a year who qualify for BBC website obits - there's usually 1-3 a day. Most of them are not worthy of their own threads, half, if not two thirds, of them fall in about 10-15 threads that regular recur here.

• Like 1

I'll say yet again, I think all deaths should be recorded in the "Dead Of [year]" thread, as well as in any other specific thread that may be appropriate.

• Like 1

I'll say yet again, I think all deaths should be recorded in the "Dead Of [year]" thread, as well as in any other specific thread that may be appropriate.

Why don't we just do away with topics and post everything in dead of the year then?

Just have three threads "The Dead of 20??" and "Ideas and Possibilities for this year" "Ideas and possibilities for next year"

I just think it is useful to have an inclusive thread that pulls together all the deaths in the year. I'm sure that was the original purpose of that thread.

It's fine to have discussion threads for categories such as soap actors, politicians, poets etc. They are not just for recording deaths, but for news and speculation.

There is no rule that says a death may not be mentioned in more than one thread. I think it makes sense to record them in all appropriate threads, since people don't necessarily read every topic on the forum.

Actors, for example, might well get a mention in multiple threads. That's not even counting the ones that may qualify for non-vocational categories such as Ironic Death, or 100 Club.

• Like 1

Again, I didn't want to start an argument or try to tell people how the forum should be run - that would be like gate-crashing a party and telling the host that the music he's playing is crap and so are the sandwiches. I accept that I shouldn't have started a new thread for Gap Man and I promise I won't do it again!

• Like 1

Famous because everyone who has ever been on the tube would have heard the message "Mind the gap" , but I doubt your average person on the street couldn't tell you his name.

It's a bit like asking people to name any of the people that provided the voice for the speaking clock.

• Like 1

Famous because everyone who has ever been on the tube would have heard the message "Mind the gap" , but I doubt your average person on the street couldn't tell you his name.

It's a bit like asking people to name any of the people that provided the voice for the speaking clock.

Not just the tube, he's used on some national railway services.

Or like asking them to name the "cashier number 4 please" people - I think one of them died a while back though.

Or like asking them to name the "cashier number 4 please" people - I think one of them died a while back though.

Ok so not on the tube, but up until today I doubt hardly anyone would have been able to name him.

Although I would love to find out the person who does the voice recordings for our phone system, as her voice is highly irritating.

Anyway I meant to say that I like the elegance of Phil's obit:

"We are sorry to announce that this service terminates here."

• Like 2

We had mutual friends. He seems to have been a top bloke. R.I.P

Ok so not on the tube, but up until today I doubt hardly anyone would have been able to name him.

Although I would love to find out the person who does the voice recordings for our phone system, as her voice is highly irritating.

Similarly would like to find the bloke and women who've alternated doing the tyne and wear metro announcements for the past decade or so, as they are very irritating.

• Like 1