YoungWillz

16. Stanley Baxter

12 minutes ago, msc said:

I'm counting Sandy Gall even if he was born abroad!

But yeah there's a few DDP worthy ancient Scots who are notable in their own fields but none are A list BBC Breaking News deaths. (For those curious and too lazy to check, celebrity photographer Harry Benson, philosopher Alasdair MacIntyre, comics artist Sydney Jordan, and classical musician Thea Musgrave are all alive and waiting for your theme teams.) 

I decided not to count Sandy Gall or even film director Joseph McGrath (wiki), as they're not technically actors/entertainers.

@YoungWillz Glen Michael! Now there's a name I forgot. I perhaps missed him because he was born in England? Do we know if he lives in Scotland now?

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I decided not to count Sandy Gall or even film director Joseph McGrath (wiki), as they're not technically actors/entertainers.

@YoungWillz Glen Michael! Now there's a name I forgot. I perhaps missed him because he was born in England? Do we know if he lives in Scotland now?

Glen Michael speaks from his home in Ayrshire January 2024: https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/glen-michael-loneliness-campaign/

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Glen Michael.

According to his bio, he was born in England. He just happened to appear on Scottish TV

1 minute ago, Phantom said:

According to his bio, he was born in England. He just happened to appear on Scottish TV

I'm happy to take him as an honorary Scot. The English can have Stanley Baxter, seeing as how long he has lived in England, and a career of belittling his place of birth.

Fair swap?

• Like 1

On 30/12/2022 at 06:31, The Daredevil said:

NOT DEAD

But has anyone heard or seen any recent information on Baxter’s current status?

He’s gone almost worryingly quiet. I cannot seem to find anything since he published his autobiography in November 2020, with a picture of him holding it, looking spritely and incredibly youthful for ninety-four.

Due to some hard decisions with limited places, I’m seriously considering taking him off my 2023 shadow list last minute; 2024 feels like his year for some reason (a strong feeling he’ll go at 98 like his contemporary, Leslie Phillips). However, I would hate to miss this national treasure of British television all of a sudden like I did with Bernard Cribbins, 97 is a dangerous age for anyone (especially males) and Baxter is probably the second most vulnerable candidate from this year’s list, who was born in 1926 and is still living (after Tony Bennett).

So should I risk leaving Baxter off until 2024 and give his place to someone else like Vera Miles, Bernadette Chirac, Burt Bacharach etc.?

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/cfLYDJCVGATtCwoY/?mibextid=oFDknk
I found a post on Facebook about his 95th birthday in 2021, and one of the responses in the comments said that Baxter was in a care home in North London

FB_IMG_1715043521501.jpg

10 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Am I correct in saying that Gudrun Ure's death means that Stanley Baxter is the now the oldest Scottish entertainer of note, and the last significant Scottish actor/entertainer born in the decade of the 1920s?

That sounds right. In my head, the next oldest after Baxter would be Phyllida Law.

7 hours ago, Trome said:

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/cfLYDJCVGATtCwoY/?mibextid=oFDknk
I found a post on Facebook about his 95th birthday in 2021, and one of the responses in the comments said that Baxter was in a care home in North London

Two items that give credit to this information.  First, while the initial post is from 25 May 2021, the comment about the care home was written on 18 December 2023 in response to a comment by a former house maid of his who was asking if he was still living in Highgate.  More convincing was the fact the comment came from 'The Real Stanley Baxter' page run by Brian Beacom, the same person who wrote the biography on Baxter.  Beacom is known to have regular contact with Baxter, one of the few to do so, giving weight to the statements made.  

• Like 2