TQR

27. Julie Walters

Half a dozen BAFTAs, two Emmys, two Oscars, a Golden Globe, a Laurence Olivier, a DBE, a cancerous bowel in the not-too-distant past and an ominous silence since pulling out of a Channel 4 drama in March due to "ill health". Fucking legend, fucking Deathlisty.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I initially planned to include her in my Shadowlist this year but I changed my mind when I heard that she will appear in the next Paddington Movie, which will be released in November 2024. The movie was filmed until this October, so she's probably in better health than many of us here imagine. The official reason she left the Channel 4 drama in March was "back pain", which sounds more like an old people issue than a cancer relapse. It's important to note that this lady is 73, an age when most people are already retired. She already mentioned in 2020 when she was cancerfree, that she wants to take things a bit slower now.

• Like 3

One of the names on my long list  (not that long this year) she was one of the easiest to remove from it.

I think she isn't a good pick as such but one of those gambles that could pay off.The committee has been accused of playing it safe and devouring the extreme elderly so I think Walters is the sort of pick where that shows that isn't strictly true.Of course maybe the committee has some inside knowledge.

• Like 1

I think she was a good pick but the Paddington 3 news has made me think she might not be ill. I did put her on my dames  team just to be sure. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sean said:

I think she isn't a good pick as such but one of those gambles that could pay off.The committee has been accused of playing it safe and devouring the extreme elderly so I think Walters is the sort of pick where that shows that isn't strictly true.Of course maybe the committee has some inside knowledge.

She still seems to be working, and in fairly good health the last couple of years. Probably a pick that will not pay off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I think she was a good pick but the Paddington 3 news has made me think she might not be ill. I did put her on my dames  team just to be sure. 

It's possible she is fine andjust turned down Channel 4 because they don't have any Marmalade in catering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You never know, it might be an inspired choice.

(Unless, as some of us suspect, it turns out to be a waste, in which case I created this thread purely to sell the committee pricks a dummy. Lol ave it ya tossers)