Tuber Mirum

Neither, in this instance I shall be happy to be just called a pillock. (or a twat, idiot, numpty, moron, tosser, addle-pate, ass, blockhead, bonehead, boob, cretin, dimwit, dingbat, dolt, dope, dork, dumbbell, dumbo, dummy, dunce, dunderhead, fool, goose, halfwit, ignoramus, imbecile, lamebrain, loony, loser, lunkhead, mental defective, muttonhead, nerd, numskull, retard, simp, simpleton, stoop, stupid, tomfool..... Take your pick.)

Neither, in this instance I shall be happy to be just called a pillock. (or a twat, idiot, numpty, moron, tosser, addle-pate, ass, blockhead, bonehead, boob, cretin, dimwit, dingbat, dolt, dope, dork, dumbbell, dumbo, dummy, dunce, dunderhead, fool, goose, halfwit, ignoramus, imbecile, lamebrain, loony, loser, lunkhead, mental defective, muttonhead, nerd, numskull, retard, simp, simpleton, stoop, stupid, tomfool..... Take your pick.)

:lol:

If you'd like to have those insults (and even more) hurled in your direction, I suggest you upset either a German, Frenchie or Argie....or all three!!!

Sorry everyone, that was a massive waste of space ... I got a bit carried away trying to emphasise my point.

(or emphasize?)

And there was I waiting for the pictures to load... :lol:

And for our North American readers, it's ...ise not ...ize. As they say--ise does matter.

Erm. From my O.E.D.:

"Words ending in -ize and -ization (such as realize and realization) may also be spelt with s instead of z. Words given in this dictionary with the spelling -ise (such as advertise and surprise) do not have an alternative spelling with z."

emphasis

emphasize

My sole responsibilty is bacchanalian buffonery.

How can you possibly get "bacchanalian" right and then bollux "buffoonery"?

Bollux ?

I get it... Use a word that doesn't exist, then no-one can say that you mis-spelled it!

or did you mean bollix?

Looks like he made a right bollix of that! ;)

Btw what was Amanda when she said top ten posters. Does such a list exist? :lol:

Yes, when you log on, look for this The moderating team | Today's active topics | Today's top 10 posters | Overall top 10 posters . Click on one of them and it will take you to the one you clicked on. :lol:

Bollux ?

I get it... Use a word that doesn't exist, then no-one can say that you mis-spelled it!

or did you mean bollix?

Crimony, the Scots even spell things oddly...

Edit: Gonna lose this one, aren't I?

Edited by Typhoid Harry

Btw what was Amanda when she said top ten posters. Does such a list exist?

You made it today in at number 10 with 3 postings

Oops, sorry Rita, I just knocked you out of the top ten with this posting. :devil:

Edited by heaven can wait

Wow, you've all been busy.

I have to admit, I don't understand what Mr Josco said .... but I'm kind of thinking it's insulting to me. Really, I should get my dictionary out and check it out, but I can't be bothered. At 24 my vocab should be a little better shouldn't it?

Wow, you've all been busy.

I have to admit, I don't understand what Mr Josco said .... but I'm kind of thinking it's insulting to me. Really, I should get my dictionary out and check it out, but I can't be bothered. At 24 my vocab should be a little better shouldn't it?

No, I was not trying to insult you. It was a harmless bit of joshing that went wrong.

Pretty poor pedantry really.

My car is DEFINATELY a boy.

DEFINITELY

Yes, it doesn't do well to put a word in capital letters ... and then spelling it wrong ...

BTW, it's bollocks.

BTW, it's bollocks.

What is?

Blimey! Spend a few hours out of town and all hell breaks loose!

Actually, if there is one thing that bugs me more than people beginning irrelevant sentences with "actually", it is the fact that absolutely nobody on the Deathlist (with the exception of myself and it would seem Mr. Josco) appears able to spell "definitely" correctly.

Perhaps the sweary-word-filter-thingy might be adapted to correct the most common mis-spelling automatically.

And to give the perpetrator a powerful electric shock. :devil:

..........those whom would like to be.......

Anyone else feel seasick?

Bollux ?

or did you mean bollix?

Crimony, the Scots even spell things oddly...

Edit: Gonna lose this one, aren't I?

bollix isn't the Scottish spelling. It is an Irish spelling popularised by the author Roddy Doyle in such phrases as "ye big bollix" and similar.

And for our North American readers, it's ...ise not ...ize. As they say--ise does matter.

Erm. From my O.E.D.:

"Words ending in -ize and -ization (such as realize and realization) may also be spelt with s instead of z. Words given in this dictionary with the spelling -ise (such as advertise and surprise) do not have an alternative spelling with z."

emphasis

emphasize

;)

Tell me Mr. Pestilence, how much did you pay for that dictionary of yours?

Some of those cheap Chinese import imitation dictionaries aren't always quite up to the mark, you know. :devil:

Guest IYG

I actually always write definately, I'm pretty sure people have corrected me before and I also write that in my papers and exams and no one seems to notice that.

Oh well, I can always use my good excuse, English isn't my first language. :devil:

and I also write that in my papers and exams and no one seems to notice that.

Since when does correct spelling in an exam matter ?

Even in an English exam ...

Jusk our examination boards nowadays. :devil:

From my O.E.D.

Tell me Mr. Pestilence, how much did you pay for that dictionary of yours?

Some of those cheap Chinese import imitation dictionaries aren't always quite up to the mark, you know. :devil:

As I'm sure you are aware Mr. Notapotato, O.E.D. = Oxford English Dictionary. ;)

Well I'm quite annoyed with myself. Had you asked me 2 days ago how to spell the 'D' word we're all going on about, I would have probably bet my life on the fact that it was spelled DEFINATELY rather than DEFINITELY. Can't believe nobody's ever picked me up on this until now.

Guest IYG
and I also write that in my papers and exams and no one seems to notice that.

Since when does correct spelling in an exam matter ?

Even in an English exam ...

Jusk our examination boards nowadays. ;)

I would say it does matter when the subject is English composition where they teach us writing.

The funniest part about some exams are when the testers correct my name as if I don't know how to write my own first name. :devil:

The funniest part about some exams are....

Keeping the "pedant" theme going......it should read:

The funniest part about some exams is....

Guest IYG
The funniest part about some exams are....

Keeping the "pedant" theme going......it should read:

The funniest part about some exams is....

English is not my first language. :devil: