Cowboy Ronnie

Formula 1 & Other Motor Racing

Here is the answer to my question:

Lauda has emergency surgery.

He's only 56 but kidney failure is no laughing matter.

Odd. I always thought Lauda's lungs would have gone first, considering his years of smoking and his near-fatal accident at the Nurburgring in 1976. It was lung damage that nearly killed him - his burns looked bad because they were on his face. But it was the fact he'd inhaled smoke, fumes, extinguisher powder etc. that severely impaired his lungs ability to take up oxygen. It was so bad that he was read the last rites in hospital. Lauda now says it was this that made him survive because he was so angry about being written off.

Welcome to Death List M.Lawrenson

True.  Lauda had his accident on the Sunday, was critically ill on Monday, had the last rites on Tuesday, was sitting up on Wednesday, was out of bed Thursday, and was walking around the hospital by Friday. 

Sounds like a Craig David song...

Did he chill on Sunday too?

True.  Lauda had his accident on the Sunday, was critically ill on Monday, had the last rites on Tuesday, was sitting up on Wednesday, was out of bed Thursday, and was walking around the hospital by Friday. 

Or Solomon Grundy

I knew something about the subtitle to this thread bothered me. I read and loved this book years ago, it's The Way to Dusty Death rather than "Road". Not being nitpicky, well, I guess I am, but not intentionally. It was just something nagging at the edge of my consciousness every time I saw this thread.

Edit: Headed out to the San Jose Grand Prix in about half an hours time. I AM a "petrol-head" (we say motor-head in the states, for some reason) and I am thoroughly jazzed about it. Even though it's not "really" F1, which is my favorite appelation of motor racing, it's close, and their racing on streets I drive everyday. It's very cool. We need a "yippee" smiley. Off to find one.

I worked on a book with a guy who'd done advertising work for performance sports cars and photography for F1 in the sixties. He told me some great stories including one about finding Carroll Shelby in bed with two women - neither of them being Mrs Shelby. Maybe there's a lesson in longevity in there somewhere.

Re the Way to Dusty Death, I started it, thought it complete shite, ditched it and have clearly misrembered the title. I apologise for the error. If someone moderating this can change the subtitle at this late stage it would be welcomed.

You need but ask and it is done. (Psssst! I was gonna do it, anyway) :) I read the book as a young man who adored anything F1. I remember loving it, but nothing about it, whatsoever. I'm fairly certain it wasn't great literature.

Carroll Shelby was a notorious womanizer, and now, with the advent of SPAM, may well be again. Colin Chapman was always my hero, along with Bruce McLaren and Jimmy Clark.

Typhoid

Can't argue with your selection of heroes but their habit of early and - in two cases - never fully explained deaths suggests you could find better role models. As I've dug around in the history of sport I've become fixated on a few enigmatic characters. Chris Amon for one, a driver so spectacularly unlucky you wonder if he had issues or a curse.

I read the book as a young man who adored anything F1. I remember loving it, but nothing about it, whatsoever. I'm fairly certain it wasn't great literature.

I too read it many moons ago as a young man. Did it not involve some racing driver pretending to be a reckless drunk, in order to find the corrupt people behind his brothers / friends death? Or am I confusing it with something else? The review on that amazon link is not too helpful :)

I though they had made a movie of it with Paul Newman or Steve McQueen, but I must be getting confused with Le Mans, cos imdb only has one Dusty Death, and it looks dire.

User Comments: Makes "Plan 9 From Outer Space" look like a masterpiece

I'm sure they never made a movie of Way to Dusty Death. Le Mans is a damn good racing movie, all the better because Steve McQueen doesn't win. We're about due a decent F1 movie although my script 'Minardi: Lust for Glory' has so far met with little success.

Typhoid

The weird thing is I thought it shite - I'm just using the word again cos I've found a swear word that doesn't attract muthaf*****g asterisks all the time - but I do remember clearly that this is the story where the driver swills whisky round his mouth to fool everyone into thinking he's washed up.

I'm sure they never made a movie of Way to Dusty Death. Le Mans is a damn good racing movie, all the better because Steve McQueen doesn't win. We're about due a decent F1 movie although my script 'Minardi: Lust for Glory' has so far met with little success.

Well, you'd be wrong, then, Mary. Check the writing credit on this link, cleverly disguised in Teddy's post: http://imdb.com/title/tt0131130/combined

but I do remember clearly that this is the story where the driver swills whisky round his mouth to fool everyone into thinking he's washed up.

You know, thats about the only bit I remember too - which probably says a lot about the rest of the book.

F***!

How did I miss that classic? Simon MacCorkindale, Anthony Valentine.....more ham in those two alone than a field full of prime pigs.

Why - I wonder - did it only get made as TV movie?

The two people I feel sorry for are Kees Kroese and Chris Anthony. All the rest of the cast are listed (including 4 heavies), and then the last two appear under 'Rest - in aplhabetical order'. The must have done something seriously wrong to p*ss of the producers and not even get a proper credit :)

And if you check out the Release dates, you will find that this classic, although made in 1995, only seems to have been released in Iceland in 1998. The rest of the world is still awaiting the joys of this movie. Do you think we could start a letter writing campaign to get it released? It seemed to work for Nelson Mandela ;)

Just a hunch, they're non speaking extras who don't have a proper part. Their faces may not even appear.

Your sympathy might be better directed at Simon MacCorkindale who'll forever be remembered for starring in the brainless stab at ground-breaking drama that was 'Manimal.' Luckily nobody has ever placed a paper bag over the man, if they had he'd be trapped forever trying to act his way out. Why he now regularly acts alongside children in 'Casualty' - losing every scene in the process - is anyone's guess.

If he didn't have the compensation of sleeping with Susan George on a regular basis the shame of his existence might have put him in our sights alongside that other mighty thesp....Richard O'Sullivan

Incidentally, ICELAND!!!!!

Was this a 25th anniversary attempt to get them back for the Cod War?

:ph34r:

Must end my sycophantic post-whoring phase soon, but not before I tell you that the above post by Mr. Rick made me spit tea all over my monitor and keyboard.

Fvck1ng Cra1g D4vid... "craaaiig daaaaaavid!" His name is synonymous in my household with everything that's wrong with our world. I wish there was a credible reason to put him on the 2006 DL, just so I could have the satisfaction of seeing him there.

So, like, how's he doin' with the new kidney?

Must end my sycophantic post-whoring phase soon, but not before I tell you that the above post by Mr. Rick made me spit tea all over my monitor and keyboard.

Glad to have been of service!

Have you mopped up yet?

So, like, how's he doin' with the new kidney?

Craig David has a new kidney? Or was that supposed to go on the George Best thread? I'm confused.

Niki Lauda - three times formula one world champion - has a new kidney.

Had he cooked the other one? :referee:

A good friend of mine upset a Little Chef waitress some years ago when he requested a bacon sandwich, and as he liked his bacon well done he asked if it could be "cooked like Nicki Lauda's ear".

Niki Lauda - three times formula one world champion - has a new kidney.

Had he cooked the other one? :referee:

A good friend of mine upset a Little Chef waitress some years ago when he requested a bacon sandwich, and as he liked his bacon well done he asked if it could be "cooked like Nicki Lauda's ear".

In a Little Chef it probably was Nicki Lauda's ear

How many more kidneys does he need to make The Guinness Book of Records?

Good suggestion, but this thread could be merged with your Formula 1 Motor Racing thread right here.

[Mods, please merge - okay, since you said please]

Edited by Teddy

Is poster 'M.Lawrenson' still around (in disguise maybe?) I remember he was the DL authority on all things motor racing.