Death Watch Beatle

Derby Dead Pool 2004

I'm in agreement with Rude Kid - assuming an obit tomorrow we're top!

Went to the DDP site to have a smirk at the leader board and our Rodney Dangerfield score has not been recorded yet. Come on Mr. Kid, this is important!

DWB :lol:

:lol: Hey, enough already! My fellow organiser Mr Baboon and I were out on the beers last night, and I was in no fit state to update the site when I got home.

Anyway, as you can see...

Scoreboard

...the DL team now has 7 hits, just 2 short of the all-time DDP record. With the best part of 3 months to go, that target's looking very achievable.

and yet we still trail Otis who had the immortal, globally renowned Francoise Sagan.

I'd be interested to know from Mr. Kid how she passed the DDP's fame test

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier answer on this very thread regarding the DDP's definition of 'fame'. It's not perfect, but I still haven't heard a better one...any suggestions welcome.

Congratulations on winning the DDP. Artie Shaw timed his time-out to perfection. I think it would have been rough justice if we had lost to Otis by one point, he only managed 6 picks while the DL managed 9 including Artie. Are we going to get a photo of the award ceremony posted up?

DWB :angry:

Now the street parties are all over following the DL DDP win, I decided to read through Statto's analysis of the 2004 game on the DDP site, and found the following quote;

Let's Start All Over Again Award. Deathlist.net win this prize by their constant pettifogging about the rules. They were at a disadvantage because they were a committee and their musings are aired in public, but guys: the DDP has clear-cut rules about what constitutes a celebrity death and how the bonus system works. If you don't like the rules, why play?

Can anyone clarify what the "constant pettifogging about the rules" was? Was someone getting on Rude Kids or Stattos nerves on a regular basis?

DWB :rolleyes:

Thats a serious accusation indeed:

Apparently, in the later middle ages, there was a class of lawyers who earned their livings making a great deal of fuss over minor legal cases. About 1560 they came to be called pettifoggers. They often had limited concern for scruples or conscience and the term was deeply contemptuous.

My posting was by no means a criticism of the DDP rules - frankly they are very clear. I was just trying to make a few excuses for our fall from the top of the leaderboard :ghost3:

The British newpaper obituary rule is a great rule and has been considered for adoption here several times.

As you can see from GR's post, there was no criticism of the rules of DDP, which are very clear - just different from our own. This has also been pointed out in other threads (especially the possibles for 2005 and 2006).

Now - if DDP had a forum, and we were constanly arguing there about the rules, I could see the point, but to take fair comment regarding the difference in rules between the sites, and how they effect the scores between ourselves and other competitors, seem to be stretching things a little too far. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: LOL, I hadn't read that bit! Statto is an anonymous contributor who sends us these end-of-year summaries, and we just publish them unedited. His views are his own, they don't necessarily represent those of the DDP organisers, allow 28 days for delivery, may contain nuts.

Guest Q. Steltanus

I am still waiting for the inane analysis 2005 of the Derby Dead Pool

So are we! One of the competitors is working on it at the moment - shouldn't be too much longer.