weatherman90

Near Misses for 2005

Matthew McGrory

7' 6" actor dead at 32. He played the "giant" in "Big Fish" (Ewan McGregor, Albert Finney). Death probably related to medical problems brought on by "gigantism".

Update: Apologies... Tempus Fugit had already posted this on the previous page.

Philip Klass, UFO Debunker, dies at 85

Philip J. Klass, an electrical engineer and aviation editor who earned the nickname Sherlock Holmes of U.F.O.'s for his assiduous, acidic debunking of flying saucers and those who claim to see them, died Tuesday at his home in Merritt Island, Fla.

The cause was prostate cancer, Rosanne Klass, his daughter, said. He was 85.

Mr. Klass was for many years a top editor at Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine, where he wrote about satellite communications, lasers, missile defense systems and arms control. But he became known to a wider audience as a leading critic of the ever-growing number of Americans who are convinced that alien beings have visited Earth and taken at least a few lucky, or quite unlucky, people for a spin in space.

Not a near miss as such, but I thought I would report that the boy-priest in the TV show Monkey died of Leukemia a few years ago. I was quite shocked by the revelation really, I loved that show when it was on. I also found out that the actors who played Monkey and Sandy were both in a band called "The Spiders" - although I am the first to admit that this has no relevence to the DL at all.

DWB <_<

Not a near miss as such, but I thought I would report that the boy-priest in the TV show Monkey died of Leukemia a few years ago. I was quite shocked by the revelation really, I loved that show when it was on. I also found out that the actors who played Monkey and Sandy were both in a band called "The Spiders" - although I am the first to admit that this has no relevence to the DL at all.

DWB <_<

I can recall, vaguely, watching Monkey on BBC2 many years ago (possibly around the late 70's/early 80's). I was always very unsure whether the actor who played the prient was male or female.

Now, as I walk around Edinburgh during the Festival, I have that same sense of confusion when I spot the Lady Boys of Bangkok :rip:

David Lange - Former New Zealand Prime Minister dies

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- Former New Zealand Prime Minister David Lange, an architect of the nation's anti-nuclear policy that put him at odds with the Reagan administration, died Saturday. He was 63.

Lange died of complications from kidney failure at a hospital in the northern city of Auckland, his family said in a statement.

Guest Guest

OK since we're barrel scraping how about Anatoly Larkin,well known researcher into theoretical physics.

OK since we're barrel scraping how about Anatoly Larkin,well known researcher into theoretical physics.

Sorry, that was me forgot to log in again. ;)

Who cares? Are you that much of a desperado that you feel the need to log in every time?

And what did you do with your last avatar? This one looks too much like my late uncle Crispo the dragon eater.

Sorry -it was quiet. Someone had to break the silence. ;)

Already mentioned 6 posts above.

A great quote in today's paper from Mr Lange, when asked if he wanted a state funeral, he refused saying he wanted "Neither bells, nor whistles."

The World Intellectual Bank's share value has fallen.

Guest Guest

Ex-minister Gordon Oakes dies

The former Labour MP and Government minister Gordon Oakes has died at the age of 74.

His son, Timothy Oakes, said he died at Halton Hospice in Runcorn, Cheshire.

Mr Oakes was first elected to Parliament as the MP for Bolton West in 1964.

He lost his seat in the 1970 General Election but was returned to the Commons the following year after winning Widnes in a by-election.

On Harold Wilson's return to power in 1974, he was made a junior environment minister, followed by a short spell as energy minister, before being promoted to Minister of State for Education - a post he held until the fall of the Labour Government in 1979.

Following boundary changes in 1983, he became MP for the newly created seat of Halton which he held continuously until he finally stepped down from Parliament in 1997.

hey Tempus Flugit have you ever considered posting all your daily info files in one post? and how about mentioning some people who we all might know. What next? Mary Jones of Elm Road has died? Poor Mary she was only 108.