weatherman90

Near Misses for 2005

If none of them were famous, its not worth posting

Yes, but the joke was It's literally a near miss like the thread's sub heading.

Do you see? :angel4:

Dame Cicely Saunders,

founder of the modern hospice movement.

BA ex-chief Lord King dies at 87

Lord King, the rumbustious Conservative peer and business executive who masterminded the privatisation of British Airways in the 1980s, died yesterday aged 87.

Isn't "rumbustious" a lovely word?

BA ex-chief Lord King dies at 87

Lord King, the rumbustious Conservative peer and business executive who masterminded the privatisation of British Airways in the 1980s, died yesterday aged 87.

Isn't "rumbustious" a lovely word?

Yeah, it's much nicer than calling him a crook, who started a campaign of "dirty tricks" against his main rival.

If being very rich is enough qualify for 'famousness,' click here.
..... a crook, who started a campaign of "dirty tricks" against his main rival.

I think we are beginning to get the idea, at last.

:skill2:

DC Comics illustrator James Aparo dies at 72

SOUTHINGTON, Conn. -- James N. Aparo, an illustrator for DC Comics for more than 30 years who drew Batman, the Green Arrow, Aquaman and other action heroes, died Tuesday at home after a short illness, his daughter said. He was 72.

Author and Screenwriter Gavin Lambert dies at 80

LOS ANGELES -- Gavin Lambert, the British-born author and screenwriter whose novels such as "Inside Daisy Clover" and nonfiction works, including biographies of screen stars Norma Shearer and Natalie Wood, earned him a reputation as one of Hollywood's finest chroniclers, has died. He was 80.

I do recall mentioning Ed McBain, as a possible some time ago.

Any chance of more authors on future lists?

Looks like we missed another one.

A J Quinnell

Maybe not as famous as Ed McBain, but I do recall reading one of his books many years ago, The Madhi. Quite relevant nowaday - all about American and British Intelligence services trying to 'fix' a miracle in order that a friendly Islamic leader appears to be the true heir of Mohammed, and thus leads Islam into better relations with the West.

If we are looking for authors to add, my nomination would be Norman Mailer. One of my favourites, but he is now over 80, and has just handed over all his papers to some University in Texas. Maybe an indidcation that he won't need them much longer :D

Would she be related to her?

It reads like the same person to me.

I have to admit that I missed that new thread when I checked before posting, but then surely this thread is the proper place to announce / lament our oversights. :angry:

Gerry Thomas, Inventor of TV Dinners dies at 83

Gerry Thomas, who changed the way Americans eat - for better or worse - with his invention of the TV Dinner during the baby boom years, has died at 83.

Thomas, who died at a Phoenix hospice center on Monday after a bout with cancer, was a salesman for Omaha, Neb.-based C.A. Swanson and Sons in 1954 when he got the idea of packaging frozen meals in a disposable aluminum-foil tray, divided into compartments to keep the foods from mixing. He also gave the product its singular name.

Influential Dinosaur Expert John Ostrom, 77, Dies.

He dug up dinosaurs. Just think - in 2,000 they may dig him up and display his skeleton.

Not all that famous I'm guessing.

Michael Gibson, 60, Trombonist and Broadway Orchestrator, Dies

Lung Cancer.

Richard Eastham, Broadway singer turned actor, dies at 89

Richard Eastham, who starred on Broadway with Mary Martin in "South Pacific" and went on to roles in films and television, has died.

Not a good day for Broad way - is it?

Jack Stephens

Jack Stephens, a financier and philanthropist who built the largest brokerage off Wall Street and formerly served as chairman of the Augusta National Golf Club, died Saturday at age 81.

This is the last one. I'm now going to stop searching the word 'dead' on google news.

Legendary singer "Long John" Baldry died, last week, in Vancouver, BC {his current residence} Born in England, died in Canada. He sang the song "King of Rock & Roll" {or something close to that effect} you know, the song that said "boo-gee woo-gee", instead of boogie woogie.

Crime writer Bunker dies aged 71

Crime novelist Edward Bunker, who taught himself to write in prison and appeared in hit movie Reservoir Dogs, has died in California aged 71.