weatherman90

Near Misses for 2005

Another soul singer dies...

DETROIT (AP) -- Renaldo "Obie" Benson, a member of the legendary Motown singing group the Four Tops, has died, the group's road manager said Friday. He was 69.

Benson, member of Motown greats the Four Tops, dies at 69

Just two Tops left now, then - they're seriously going to have to think about changing their name. :deadx::deadx:

James Stockdale has died at the tender age of 81.

Former Vice Admiral, he was also the Vice Presidential running mate candidate with Ross Perot a few years back. Who can forget the memorable debates of Vice Presidential candidates where Stockdale fell asleep? Also rather hard of hearing he later said he had neglected to turn on his hearing aid.

Anyway here is more info on him: Stockdale dead Alzheimers victim forgets he died CNN offers reason for neglecting coverage

James Stockdale has died at the tender age of 81.

Former Vice Admiral, he was also the Vice Presidential running mate candidate with Ross Perot a few years back. Who can forget the memorable debates of Vice Presidential candidates where Stockdale fell asleep? Also rather hard of hearing he later said he had neglected to turn on his hearing aid.

Anyway here is more info on him: Stockdale dead Alzheimers victim forgets he died CNN offers reason for neglecting coverage

I know Alzheimers can be bad but i would still think he would remember he died.

I know Alzheimers can be bad but i would still think he would remember he died.

Then again maybe not. What if he knew and then he forgot that he knew or that he forgot that he had forgotten that he was aware of the fact that he had forgotten what he had forgotten?

Think about it.

Forget about it!

Forget about it!

Forget what? I... uh... I... what was the answer again?

Forget about it!

Forget what? I... uh... I... what was the answer again?

Guest Guest

Jim Stockdale died yesterday after battling Alzheimers. The former POW was a highly decorated American hero and Ross Perot's running mate in 1992. His most memorable moment from that election was when he asked rhetorically in his opening statement: "Who am I? Why am I here?" in his debate opening statement.

Well we missed another one! Born in October of 1926.

Salvatore Lombino is dead! Who is that you ask? Think about The Blackboard Jungle and the Alfred Hitchcock classic The Birds. Ah, there you go! Evan Hunter. Also known as Ed McBain the creator of the 87th Precinct detective novels. Poor Steve Carella. Cotton Hawes. Meyer Meyer. Arthur Brown. Monoghan and Monroe. Lt. Peter Byrnes. Andy Parker. Bert Kling. Eileen Burke. Are they now all dead too? Even The Deaf Man?

What a day. I picked up my first McBain book Vespers while waiting for the boat. That's right, you heard correctly I was waiting for The Staten Island Ferry so I could return to Satan's Island. While I waited I decided I needed reading material. It was too early to get The Advance so I browsed the book titles and Vespers leapt from the shelf at me. Soon I had more than 30 McBain books in my possession. I must confess his later novels didn't cut it for me. Just this morning I popped open Nocturne and realized how he had changed. His writing became more in line with a weekly television series. No character descriptions or first names. It was as if he just took a giant presumption that everybody was already familiar with his characters. Thank goodness Vespers hadn't been written that way.

Enough about me though let me just direct you to some hopefully handy links on this 78 year old man who is now no longer with us.

The Jig is up

No More Mischief

One last kiss

I've got a bad feeling Nelson Madela is vulnerable. I was surprised he wasn't on the list. I presume there is no consideration given to taste.

anax

seeing as this is your first post and this my 100th i would like to say welcome to deathlist anax.

Ah, there you Evan Hunter.  Also known as Ed McBain the creator of the 87th Precinct detective novels.  Poor Steve Carella.  Cotton Hawes.  Meyer Meyer.  Arthur Brown.  Monoghan and Monroe.  Lt. Peter Byrnes.  Andy Parker.  Bert Kling.  Eileen Burke.    Are they now all dead too?  Even The Deaf Man? 

I do recall mentioning Ed McBain, as a possible some time ago.

Any chance of more authors on future lists?

If being very rich is enough qualify for 'famousness,' click here.

BA ex-chief Lord King dies at 87

Lord King, the rumbustious Conservative peer and business executive who masterminded the privatisation of British Airways in the 1980s, died yesterday aged 87.

Literally a "near miss"....

A British plane was forced to take evasive action after a German jet came within 180m (600ft) over the Atlantic - allegedly for the sake of a photo.

Investigations are under way into the incident between two planes, which were carrying more than 400 people.

Media report that the pilot of the German jet wanted to get close enough to get a picture of the other plane's pilot, whom he mistook for a colleague.

The German airline, Condor, has reportedly suspended two pilots.

It is reported that the Condor captain left his official route to try to approach another Condor jet, whose pilot was flying his last flight.

But the second Condor jet was 160km (100 miles) ahead and the pilot approached a British Thomas Cook flight by mistake.

If none of them were famous, its not worth posting

I agree. Totally inappropriate of Janeo to post such items in this thread!

So here's another one:

Back from the dead

I agree. Totally inappropriate of Janeo to post such items in this thread!

So here's another one:

Back from the dead

I was trying to "entertain" everyone with amusing little news items.....

Entertainment in a Death Forum? Interesting concept. Aside from that I appreciate it since it does keep me updated on the latest news.

So was I! Maybe we should have an additional thread for these though...