maryportfuncity

Hymn Writers

Is it just me or - back when they sang hymns from hymn books - were other DL'ers also struck by the fact that people who wrote these songs seemed to live long lives, especially in the context of the 'old days' when many of them lived.

We've discussed the longevity of writers here. Does anyone know if the composers of any well known hymns are still with us?

We've discussed the longevity of writers here. Does anyone know if the composers of any well known hymns are still with us?

I am not sure. Just looking at my hymnbook, most of them seems to have been composed in the 1700's and 1800's.

Regards,

ff

That's true. Better known as a preacher than hymn-writer, John Wesley lived to 87 which was exceptional in the 18th century.

This seems a good place to start.

Cerberus: My life is greatly improved for your post. Timothy Dudley Smith, composer of that toe tapper 'Tell Out My Soul' lives. He'll be 79 on Boxing Day.

For anyone else looking to check out hymn writers I suggest having a look at the portrait of Fanny Crosby, she looks like some cult rock star.

I thought William Williams Pantycelyn had the best name though.

This isn't really my field, but could Eleanor Farjeon still be alive? She penned that primary school assembly favourite, "Morning Has Broken," but I've no idea how long ago.

I don't know if John Rutter (born 1945) and Sir John Taverner (born 1944) count as hymn composers, but they've done choral work and Christmas carols.........

I don't know if John Rutter (born 1945) and Sir John Taverner (born 1944) count as hymn composers, but they've done choral work and Christmas carols.........

John Rutter's stuff is crap so I hope he dies soon.

He will if he reads yer post Janeo.

Didn't Rutter do almost all the most popular Christmas carol arrangements? Strong talk indeed from Miss Janeo. Not that I'm inclined to disagree particularly.

Chap called Andrew Carter has written a couple of good Godsongs. Not that famous or particularly old, but when I chanced to meet him back in 1991 his breath stank as though he was already half rotten. Probably worth a mention on this thread.

His breath stank because the royalties from hymn writing are so poor he's likely reduced to eating catfood.

He and his ilk reckon on inheriting the earth though so he'd probably pity the likes of us.

He will if he reads yer post Janeo.

I went to a concert a couple of years ago with music by Mozart & Rutter. Let's just say that the Mozart was just a teensy weensy bit better than the Rutter. In fact Mr Rutter himself was in the audience & took a bow.

His breath stank because the royalties from hymn writing are so poor he's likely reduced to eating catfood.

He and his ilk reckon on inheriting the earth though so he'd probably pity the likes of us.

Why would anyone want to inherit this stinking, ruined cesspool of a planet with its whingeing, whining warmongering inhabitants.

Why would anyone want to inherit this stinking, ruined cesspool of a planet with its whingeing, whining warmongering inhabitants.

You're not having a particularly good day, are you Josco?

Correct. I am trying to configure a printer using PCAnywhere over a network. Why are printers the work of the devil? Why do I work with PC's, I hate them with a vengeance! Telecoms was so much more straightforward.

I'd happily inherit the whole stinking cesspool. As a West Cumbrian I have an affinity with such an environment.

Correct. I am trying to configure a printer using PCAnywhere over a network. Why are printers the work of the devil? Why do I work with PC's, I hate them with a vengeance! Telecoms was so much more straightforward.

Need a Troubleshooter Mr Josco?

I personally find a largish chunk of rose quartz gaffa-taped to the offending appliance works wonders to keep Ahriman in check.

Bill's in the post.

Need a Troubleshooter Mr Josco?

I personally find a largish chunk of rose quartz gaffa-taped to the offending appliance works wonders to keep Ahriman in check.

Bill's in the post.

:(:D:pop:

I know what you mean. I have spent the last couple of days trying to integrate 2 different computer systems for a client that don't talk to each other. :(

Never heard this one on Songs of Praise,

All things dull and ugly,

[snip]

I love that one. I'm afraid predicting the death of Monty Python is a bit tricky, though. :(

regards,

Hein

I know what you mean. I have spent the last couple of days trying to integrate 2 different computer systems for a client that don't talk to each other. :lol:

Gosh, don't you have interesting jobs ...

For my sins I also work in IT. At the moment I'm trying to integrate two pieces of software. I was in a frenzy trying to get something ready for a meeting today, now it's been cancelled. If I'd known I could've spent more time Deathlisting.

Don't take it personally, but could you all please pretend you don't work in IT.....

Just another Monty Python-lyric which seems to suit you today... (And well within the Death-theme, I'd say!)

Some things in life are bad,

They can really make you mad,

Other things just make you swear and curse,

When you're chewing life's gristle,

Don't grumble,

Give a whistle

And this'll help things turn out for the best.

And...

Always look on the bright side of life.

[whistle]

Always look on the light side of life.

[whistle]

If life seems jolly rotten,

There's something you've forgotten,

And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.

When you're feeling in the dumps,

Don't be silly chumps.

Just purse your lips and whistle.

That's the thing.

And...

[whistle]

Always look on the right side of life,

[whistle]

For life is quite absurd

And death's the final word.

You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Forget about your sin.

Give the audience a grin.

Enjoy it. It's your last chance, anyhow.

So,...

Always look on the bright side of death,

[whistle]

Just before you draw your terminal breath.

[whistle]

Life's a piece of S**t,

When you look at it.

Life's a laugh and death's a joke it's true.

You'll see it's all a show.

Keep 'em laughing as you go.

Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And...

Always look on the right side of life.

[whistle]

Don't take it personally, but could you all please pretend you don't work in IT.....

OK, I was lying. I actually work in a shoe shop. "No we haven't got them in brown in a size 8 but we've got them in black in a 7"

BTW Mr Vilebody - what do you do for a living?