Sign in to follow this  
The Yeti

Career Death

A few points from the above, Gary Glitter did co-write most of his hits with producer Mike Leander. He was bankrupt by the end of the seventies but made a fortune from live work until he took his computer in to be fixed. So, sadly, he'll die a rich man and the drop in record sales and radio play that has all but dried up his composer's royalties won't really hurt him.

Roland Ratzenberger: Crashed his Simtek car in practice for the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix, killing himself. Ruebens Barrichello almost died the same weekend before Senna died in the race.

Re the GP Masters series. The real talent - Mansell and Fittipaldi - streaked ahead of the field yesterday. As for the twelve other 'notables'

Jan Lammers

Hans Stuck

Ricardo Patrese

Andrea De Cesaris

Nice blokes I'm sure but the majority of these 'masters' never won a race.

A man so unlucky that even the time and place he chose to show us his demise was overshadowed by a more colourful celebrity.

On that subject maybe we need a thread on "deaths overshadowed by someone else's death" - e.g. Mother Teresa dying the same week as Diana.

Also I think Barry Took popped off the same week as the Queen mum

I think the spectacular career fall which others have been subsequently judged is that of Simon Dee.

Unmissable in the 1960s with his 'Dee Time' show, he argued with BBC exec Bill Cotton over money and the wily Cotton called his bluff, so Dee went to the new LWT. Unfortunately the star (and co-owner) of the station was David Frost, who wasn't aware that LWT took Dee on. So Frostie scheduled his celeb-packed 'Frost Programme' just before Simon Dee's lesser celeb-packed talkshow. Then in 1970 after an infamous incident with Bond actor George Lazenby (and whatever happened to him?), Dee was dropped.

His career dwindled, Dee signed on and after a fracas was brought up in front of a magistrates court and guess who was the Justice of the Peace on this particular occasion? None other than Bill Cotton Jnr. Dee remains rather bitter about his fall from grace. Moral: Don't F**k with the big boys of TV...

On that subject maybe we need a thread on "deaths overshadowed by someone else's death" - e.g. Mother Teresa dying the same week as Diana.

Agreed. The Roland Award for '96 was won by Mother Teresa...

Agreed. The Roland Award for '96 was won by Mother Teresa...

Why 96?

Jan Lammers

Hans Stuck

Ricardo Patrese

Andrea De Cesaris

Nice blokes I'm sure but the majority of these 'masters' never won a race.

Riccardo Patrese won 6 GPs, as I recall...

De Cesaris should have won at least twice.

HJ Stuck had a long, distinguished, and successful career in sportscars after realizing the F1 game was up for him before he was 29.

Now, if you really want to have a go at GP Masters, you should concentrate on the likes of Christian Danner and Eliseo Salazar. Danner got one 4th place after everyone else broke down in the 1989 US GP. All Salazar ever did was get punched (on live TV) when he took Nelson Piquet off while being lapped in the 1982 German GP.

piqsal.jpg

Piquet (left) discusses driving technique with Salazar (right)

Keith Chegwin presenting a game show in the nude. Saw an awful lot of him then, see very little of him now!

Probably isn't a bad thing really.

DWB ;)

Cheggers is on the telly loads in the morning giving out prize cheques to stupid people who ring the premium rate numbers to enter... still, keeps him off the booze i suppose.

Cheggers is on the telly loads in the morning giving out prize cheques to stupid people who ring the premium rate numbers to enter... still, keeps him off the booze i suppose.

Shame... anyone fancy a pint?