Benign dictatorship or not, this thread has to be the strangest manifestation in this odd land of the strange DL manifestations.

Dickie O - lightweight that he is - is becoming a focus for people debating - so to speak - the meaning of their existence. As ironic as Larry Flynt becoming the focus for the free speech debate. This is practically a new move in Dickie O's career.

Is one of the hacks on here planning to feed this to the tabloids?

Such a senseless waste.

Anyone else care to challenge the Established Order of Things?

But let us all make a concerted effort to get it back to that once lofty height.

Agreed. Now open that thread and let me post!!!!!

The fairest way to do it would be to have a poll.

Millwall? I believe this is your area of expertise.

And don't tell me what to do. I'm a bit stressed out  ;)

:o But we will lose Boudicca!

I think what's at stake is the nature of the forum,

is it to be a place for general chit chat about trivia or is it going to retain its basic raison d'être.

I don't see how both can co-exist.

Guest Guest_pulphack

as it happens, i didn't start the carlisle references, but was responding to a previous post. not that it's important, but if things are going to get dull let's at least be accurate. it's made me feel like it was hardly worth filling in your registration form.

Benign dictatorship or not, this thread has to be the strangest manifestation in this odd land of the strange DL manifestations.

Dickie O - lightweight that he is - is becoming a focus for people debating - so to speak - the meaning of their existence. As ironic as Larry Flynt becoming the focus for the free speech debate. This is practically a new move in Dickie O's career.

Is one of the hacks on here planning to feed this to the tabloids?

osullvan7hv.th.jpg

Here we go

50/50 at the moment, it's all to play for.

I agree with T.F. I want to reopen it but there's no point doing that unless we can sort this out.

Otherwise one of the others will just close it again.

Cheers for this, BTW - You need these silly little things to take your mind off serious issues sometimes.

My daughter had a blood transfusion and is going to be fine. Thanks for your good wishes :o

None of us had planned to do this.

It just seemed to happen.

Which is thankful because at least we're starting to consider the point of censorship - which is the only thing that is keeping us campaigners together.

I feel it was a necessary battle for us DODO's to become involved in & I hope that the reopening of the original thread brings an end to the matter.

Bou, I hope your daughter is okay.

However, i think it might be a while before I post again, if ever.

The level of hypocrisy I have seen from certain people today is astonishing & the fact that they have reduced themselves to barbed personal insults speaks volumes in my opinion.

I joined this forum, on Godot's invitation, because I thought it was witty fun.

Today has shown me that there are obviously draconian limits on such fun that no moderater will bother to fully justify.

To be threatened with IP banning for utilising free speech was the final straw really. I have no wish to depart in a flurry of expletives, DelTorso style, so I'll just depart.

Goodbye then.

Out of order TF. BHB is a sound deathlister with a great sense of humour. He was the first to offer some kind remarks when Himler (genuine or not) was sounding down the other day. Sometimes the banter is going so well that nothing else matters and it's easy to get carried away. This place can be a release. But it can also be pretty harsh when people get personal. Don't go BHB. I know you'll be back for a peak. It's irresistable.

It must have been like this when the Beatles split up. A poll would be a good idea then the thread could be repaired and things might settle down again.

I agree with T.F. I want to reopen it but there's no point doing that unless we can sort this out.

Cheers for this, BTW - You need these silly little things to take your mind off serious issues sometimes.

My daughter had a blood transfusion and is going to be fine. Thanks for your good wishes :o

Bou don't agree with TF, its not healthy. Sorry to hear about your troubles today. Hope she's going to be OK. I wrote a poem today because I was pissed off when my computer went down then I saw about the soldier killed in Iraq and it restored my perspective on things. It isn't changing the nature of deathlist. The list is still the list and that's why we come.

My daughter had a blood transfusion and is going to be fine. Thanks for your good wishes  :o

Bou don't agree with TF, its not healthy. Sorry to hear about your troubles today. Hope she's going to be OK. I wrote a poem today because I was pissed off when my computer went down then I saw about the soldier killed in Iraq and it restored my perspective on things. It isn't changing the nature of deathlist. The list is still the list and that's why we come.

I think this battle is fundamental to DL's future,

Trivia/masturbation Forum, or Death related Forum.

spot on, mr G. everything out there in the wide world is more serious than this forum. the very idea of speculating on the demise of celebs is ludicrous (which is why i like it) and to try and apply serious rules to something that is, at its heart, an absurdity, is little short of insanity. which is me getting a bit carried away and in itself ridiculous.

my point, and i do have one, is that someone's little girl being ill (and nice to hear she's going to be ok) is serious. people getting their 70's y-fronts in a twist because someone went a bit off topic is not serious.

is it me, but isn't that obvious?

Another issue back in August Tempus and me were under pressure to cut down on posts and let me assure you they hardly passed 30 a day.

You lot are on double that today so that also needs to be discussed.

My daughter had a blood transfusion and is going to be fine. Thanks for your good wishes  :o

I think this battle is fundamental to DL's future,

Trivia/masturbation Forum, or Death related Forum.

Well I know you do but trivia is everywhere here. I agree I'm not fond of masturbation (how do you say this without inviting yet more silly comments?). Everything will quickly settle down. I think there is still a good mix of the quirky, the genuinely informative, the surprising and the ridiculous. What did the News of the World used to say - all human life is here? Ironic for a deathlist. It's not the end, not even the beginning of the end, not the end of the beginning either. I'm buggered what it is then.

spot on, mr G. everything out there in the wide world is more serious than this forum. the very idea of speculating on the demise of celebs is ludicrous (which is why i like it) and to try and apply serious rules to something that is, at its heart, an absurdity, is little short of insanity.

Serious rules should always be applied to trivial pursuits,

What is sport without rules?

Rules give structure and meaning.

Well I know you do but trivia is everywhere here. I agree I'm not fond of masturbation (how do you say this without inviting yet more silly comments?). Everything will quickly settle down. I think there is still a good mix of the quirky, the genuinely informative, the surprising and the ridiculous. What did the News of the World used to say - all human life is here? Ironic for a deathlist. It's not the end, not even the beginning of the end, not the end of the beginning either. I'm buggered what it is then.

The Dickie thread would have cleaned itself up.

That would have happened as the thread ran its course.

Instead, it has been artificially cut short and God knows how many hours have been lost by companies across the UK, and beyond, while we argue.

But not letting the thread evolve naturally wreeks of intelligent design.

Darwin will be rolling in his grave.

a fair point about rules. but at what point do rules become a pointless and inflexible obstruction? if rules are to give structure and shape to a formless mass, then when do you decide that the structure is squeezing the life out of that mass?

sorry, that sounds like i'm describing a quatermass movie. but rules change and are altered according to the dictates of the sport and... those who govern it. or is that really the issue?

and i must learn to do that 'quote' thing so people know what i'm drivelling about.

a fair point. but at what point do rules become a pointless and inflexible obstruction? if rules are to give structure and shape to a formless mass, then when do you decide that the structure is squeezing the life out of that mass?

sorry, that sounds like i'm describing a quatermass movie. but rules change and are altered according to the dictates of the sport and... those who govern it. or is that really the issue?

We've yet to hear from GR, the supreme guv'nor.

a fair point. but at what point do rules become a pointless and inflexible obstruction? if rules are to give structure and shape to a formless mass, then when do you decide that the structure is squeezing the life out of that mass?

Look at it like this:

It was once a rule that the sun went around the earth.

It was once a rule that the earth was flat.

It was once a rule that women had to stay at home, give birth and cook.

It was once a rule that the country was run by an absolute monarch.

I could go on and on.

osullvan7hv.jpg

Look at it like this:

It was once a rule that the sun went around the earth.

It was once a rule that the earth was flat.

It was once a rule that the country was run by an absolute monarch.

I could go on and on.

osullvan7hv.th.jpg

I think those first two were more beliefs than rules.

Try to remember this isn't a democracy,

Your views will be listened to, and then probably ignored.

spot on, mr G. everything out there in the wide world is more serious than this forum. the very idea of speculating on the demise of celebs is ludicrous (which is why i like it) and to try and apply serious rules to something that is, at its heart, an absurdity, is little short of insanity.

Serious rules should always be applied to trivial pursuits,

What is sport without rules?

Rules give structure and meaning.

That's a bit left brained. You'll be quoting Grandgrind next on facts. True, the DL needs those who would be happy to stand on the edge of platforms with their duffle bags and vacuum flasks, but it also needs the inventive and the quirky who will set off on some flight of fancy.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,

"To talk of many things:

Of shoes and ships and sealing wax

Of cabbages and kings

And why the sea is boiling hot

And whether pigs have wings."

Look at it like this:

Isn't that a rule anymore?

but it also needs the inventive and the quirky who will set off on some flight of fancy.

Those quirky and inventive w**k jokes you mean?

My they were hilarious.

Don't know how we managed before Hacky came along and decided to share himself with us all.

He really shouldn't have bothered.