Godot

Assassinations

Gaddafi seems to be a tad paranoid these days.

Nigerian officials say Col Gaddafi was accompanied by more than 200 heavily armed Libyan bodyguards.

I'm thinking that Daniel Ortega and Hugo Chavez have both shortened their odds recently.

I'm thinking that Daniel Ortega and Hugo Chavez have both shortened their odds recently.

There isn't any trust in Assasinations. Just one year of prediction is a waste of time.

Almazbek Atambayev, the Prime Minister of Kyrgyzstan, is in hospital in Turkey suffering from "Acute toxic hepatitis of unknown origin"

He fell unconscious for two days after drinking a cup of water at his office in May.

His office say he is "feeling well". How long does thallium take to kick in?

Guest Guest

David Beckham will be assassinated afore the decade is out.

Mark my words well.

Guest Only Florists Benefit
David Beckham will be assassinated afore the decade is out.

Mark my words well.

Ah, another hit paid for by Interflora and the Dutch Flower Growers' Association, just like Diana. Follow the money...

Would Beckham count as an assassination, though, or just a murder? Or pest control?

Can Putin go the distance?

Your question is 'Can Putin go the distance?'

My reply: 'I don't think he will make it out of the gate.

From your source - Russian special services saying a gang of suicide bombers would attempt to kill Mr Putin in Tehran.

Iran replied - Iran's foreign ministry dismissed the reports as "completely baseless".

If assassination attempts are surrounding a substantial political figure and the media is neck high with informative threats - the actual odds of the Russian president falling victim to such terroristic acts are as likely as water freezing in the summer time.

The only threat to my voice on this issue is the word 'ironic'

Peace,

The Philosopher

Your question is 'Can Putin go the distance?'

My reply: 'I don't think he will make it out of the gate.

From your source - Russian special services saying a gang of suicide bombers would attempt to kill Mr Putin in Tehran.

Iran replied - Iran's foreign ministry dismissed the reports as "completely baseless".

If assassination attempts are surrounding a substantial political figure and the media is neck high with informative threats - the actual odds of the Russian president falling victim to such terroristic acts are as likely as water freezing in the summer time.

The only threat to my voice on this issue is the word 'ironic'

Peace,

The Philosopher

Hmm, Philosopher I have a theory you are either part of the Bush administration or a close relative of Banshees Scream, possibly both. It would explain everything.

Why would an Iranian blow up Putin? He's the best friend they've got in world politics, forcing the UN to turn a blind eye as Iran builds its nuclear weapons, no doubt with Russia's technical assistance. They may be lunatics, but fundamentalists aren't stupid.

They may be lunatics, but fundamentalists aren't stupid.

Err, you are joking, right. Any religious fundamentalist is, by definition, pretty damned stupid.

Err, you are joking, right. Any religious fundamentalist is, by definition, pretty damned stupid.

Not sure about that AtJ. Take the 9/11 terrorists for example. One of their causes celebres was they wanted US troops out of Saudi Arabia. The US pulled its troops out of Saudi in early 2003. The Madrid bombers were apparently upset with Spain's support of the Iraq war Mark II. Shortly after the bomb, Spain elected a new Prime Minister. When he sees video of hour long security queues at airports, don't you think Bin Laden must be smiling through his beard?

They're crazy I tells ya. Crazy like a fox.

Not sure about that AtJ. Take the 9/11 terrorists for example. One of their causes celebres was they wanted US troops out of Saudi Arabia. The US pulled its troops out of Saudi in early 2003. The Madrid bombers were apparently upset with Spain's support of the Iraq war Mark II. Shortly after the bomb, Spain elected a new Prime Minister. When he sees video of hour long security queues at airports, don't you think Bin Laden must be smiling through his beard?

They're crazy I tells ya. Crazy like a fox.

Those that have masterminded terrorist attacks are not stupid by nature of the fact they have foiled national intelligence and security agencies with plans even more cunning than Baldrick could possible imagine to cause such wanton destruction. I would probably choose to use the words misguided, ill-advised, maybe even brain washed and yeah crazy.

I didn't say that fundamentalist Islamic terrorists were stupid, I said that all fundamentalists are stupid, be they Christian, Jewish, Halibut, Hindu or whatever. To believe in every last word of any holy book is wrong and indeed usually impossible due to the many contradictions such a book contains.

... To believe in every last word of any holy book is wrong and indeed usually impossible due to the many contradictions such a book contains.

... unlike "Peter Seabrooke's Complete Vegetable Gardener" published by Cassell, which contains no contradictions whatsoever.

I believe my current Assassin status renders this post de facto on-topic.

... To believe in every last word of any holy book is wrong and indeed usually impossible due to the many contradictions such a book contains.

... unlike "Peter Seabrooke's Complete Vegetable Gardener" published by Cassell, which contains no contradictions whatsoever.

So why on page 68 does Seabrooke tell us to eradicate nettles from our vegetable patch while on page 251 he gives us a recipe for Nettle beer? Why does he suggest spraying insecticide on our cucumbers, then tell us how to create an insect-friendly environment from bamboo sticks? Why are their so many references to "spilling seed" from a recognised plantsman? And why does he say that Halibuts make better compost than born-again Christians who grow better, incidentally, when placed alongside a west-facing trellis as long as they are regularly fed and watered. Answer me that if you can SC.

I didn't say that fundamentalist Islamic terrorists were stupid, I said that all fundamentalists are stupid, be they Christian, Jewish, Halibut, Hindu or whatever. To believe in every last word of any holy book is wrong and indeed usually impossible due to the many contradictions such a book contains.

I don't think that all fundamentalists are necessarily stupid Anubis. It's the ones who are so wrapped up in their religion that they pay attention to small details and miss the big picture. For example, the main thrust of Christianity is "Love thy neighbor as thyself" but if you're so focused on details that you hate other people who don't believe exactly as you do, you aren't really a good Christian.

but if you're so focused on details that you hate other people who don't believe exactly as you do, you aren't really a good Christian.

It's the perfect example of what I would call the 'Hitler Dilution' which the dilution itself consists of an individual who claims they are one of god but 'in a notion' where they can go out and slaughter thousands of people and say 'Who says I'm not in the special protection of god?'

From Hitlers view point the Jewish race had to be ignited for several reasons but his main fall back was 'they rejected Christ' so in defense of myself and my lord I will fight for justice..blah blah 'and all the other sh*t he said'

I've never read anything positive about Hitlers life, not in even his extended biography. The sob story goes from being homeless to being rejected at his art school 'which I think his instructor might have been Jewish' and then to finally not even having enough balls to actually give the poems he had written to the girl he loved 'and the list hits the floor'

The only significance was his rise to power and his admiration from the German society. Just as all the other attempts in his life 'he eventually failed' but getting to what I was saying 'you have to follow the laws of the concept, not take the concept and write it's laws' you can't be devoted to a religion 'or should I say' philosophy when you dictate it's laws to your own perspective. That's like going on a diet and following the 'breakfast plan' and then going to a 'Take your seat - All you can eat' buffet for lunch and dinner.

Now of course it all depends whether you're talking about the original 'Compost Heap Scrolls' discovered in early July this year in a small potting shed just outside Clackheaton, or the revised edition (King Alan Titchmarsh Version) which many claim was significantly re-written by a self-serving group of agriculturalists many of whom have links to the shady 'Gardeners Quesion Time' sect.

So why on page 68 does Seabrooke tell us to eradicate nettles from our vegetable patch while on page 251 he gives us a recipe for Nettle beer? Why does he suggest spraying insecticide on our cucumbers, then tell us how to create an insect-friendly environment from bamboo sticks? Why are their so many references to "spilling seed" from a recognised plantsman? And why does he say that Halibuts make better compost than born-again Christians who grow better, incidentally, when placed alongside a west-facing trellis as long as they are regularly fed and watered. Answer me that if you can SC.

Sixteen people have been arrested in Fiji, charged with with plotting to assassinate military leader, Commodore Frank Bananarama Bainimarama.

Wow, on the name alone he'd be a great nominee for 2008. I wonder if he's running a banana republic out there. When he goes the nation's song of mourning would surely be "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye".

Excellent suggestion DDT.

I'm wondering whether this thread could support a little sub list of oligarchs at risk. After the death of every name tagger's nightmare, Badri Patarkatsishvili (known as Bad Pat among the boys), you have to wonder about the possibilities for Boris Berezovsky and other dissidents such as Yuli Dubov and Nikolai Glushkov.

Meanwhile the Israelis seem to be getting through their various enemies at a fairly consistent rate with the demise of Imad Mughniyeh, the chap who made Terry Waite for so long.