Look at this:

Drew%20Barrymore%2013.jpg

and tell me there isn't a God.

regs.

Notapotato, Just back from the beach.

And God bless Steven Speilberg, and God bless ET,

drew_gertie.jpg

and most of all God bless Notapotato posting such nice pictures.

regs.

Gunjaman5000, in from the snow.

"All things bright and beautiful...."

Oh never mind.

Good to see that you refer to Atheism as a faith, which indeed it is. Atheists cannot empirically prove there is no God therefore their belief in atheism is an article of faith in a similar vein to Christianity et al.

This reminds me of the paradox of Free Jazz which in a way also applies to Anarchy.

"There are absolutely no rules, but to play Bourbon Street Parade in the style of Louis Armstrong is clearly against the rules."

Look at this:

As an agnostic, I believe only what can be proven to me in terms which I can understand.

It is unlikely, therefore, imho, that there is a god. Miss Barrymore, seen here looking utterly scrumptious, is more-than-likely the result of a chain of biologically-successful individuals, all of whom survived the rigours of their environment, found compatible mates and procreated. This unbroken sequence of successful ancestors stems from successive branchings, which we call speciation, starting from a single bacterium-like ancestor which lived between 3 and 4 billion years ago.

This "natural selection", very possibly the mechanism responsible for all of life's stunning diversity, ended up producing this lovely human being; a shining example of the success of this natural phenomenon. Drew has not yet been procreatively successful; we can only imagine her efforts to find a mate and successfully breed... I'm sure many of us have imagined them a few too many times. :lol:

Trust me to take it seriously :lol:

As an atheist and an agnostic (the two aren't mutually exclusive) I firmly believe that we're genetically programmed to appreciate such individuals as highly desirable for procreation. Of course what men think in that respect is irrelevant. Women make the decisions, and I'm still at a loss why so many women prefer arseholes. Or, what's even worse, why so may women raise arseholes.

regards,

Hein

As an atheist and an agnostic (the two aren't mutually exclusive)...

An atheist believes there is no God. An agnostic is not sure if God exists or not. To claim both standpoints to be yours is a contradiction in terms. Therefore they are mutally exclusive.

:lol::lol::lol:

As an atheist and an agnostic (the two aren't mutually exclusive)...

An atheist believes there is no God. An agnostic is not sure if God exists or not. To claim both standpoints to be yours is a contradiction in terms. Therefore they are mutally exclusive.

:lol::lol::lol:

No no no. That is not what an agnostic is at all.

Allow me to help prevent you all getting into a flap over this (largely semantic) argument. Have a look at the two dictionary.com definitions, then read the section on Word History. You'll note that the term was originally coined by Thomas H. Huxley to describe a state in which absolute knowledge (of any given subject) does not exist.

I hope this will prevent the wastage of yet more DL server space by well-wishing members arguing needlessly over their adoption of either of two modern definitions of the same word.

In terms of whether Hein is contradicting himself, the answer, unfortunately, is a grey area and open to semantic interpretation. He is, essentially, questioning his own faith (atheism) :lol: by adhering to a doctrine of agnosticism. That does not mean, however, that he does not have faith; only that he is willing to question said faith.

I questioned my own faith in the motivation of DLers to bother reading/understanding my posts before posting this. As to whether I believe anyone has read this far, I remain agnostic :lol:

In terms of whether Hein is contradicting himself, the answer, unfortunately, is a grey area and open to semantic interpretation. He is, essentially, questioning his own faith (atheism) :lol: by adhering to a doctrine of agnosticism. That does not mean, however, that he does not have faith; only that he is willing to question said faith.

Almost. I'm an atheist in the sense that I don't believe in the existance of gods. At the same time I know that the question of whether those things exist is undecided, due to lack of firm evidence, and possibly undicidable. Im that sense I'm an agnostic.

I could add a third position as well: I don't care whether gods exist or not. In that sense I'm an apatheist. :lol:

regards,

Hein

Only you - Drew!

>snip<

Couldn't you find a bigger picture Banshees?

I could add a third position as well: I don't care whether gods exist or not. In that sense I'm an apatheist. :)

When you get right down to the heart of it, and here in lies the key, when you are truthfull with yourself, you will find that you are only one of the above. It sounds to me like you are agnostic, from what little you have said. Therfore you are not an atheist.

Tell us whatever you like, but be true to yourself, and remember, turnips are good for you !

Only you - Drew!

>snip<

I tried and I tried but Google wouldn't grant me one wish! :)

Only you - Drew!

>snip<

drew_gertie.jpg

Yes, nice work finding a picture of that little girl's arse.

In terms of whether Hein is contradicting himself, the answer, unfortunately, is a grey area and open to semantic interpretation. He is, essentially, questioning his own faith (atheism) :) by adhering to a doctrine of agnosticism. That does not mean, however, that he does not have faith; only that he is willing to question said faith.

Almost. I'm an atheist in the sense that I don't believe in the existance of gods. At the same time I know that the question of whether those things exist is undecided, due to lack of firm evidence, and possibly undicidable. Im that sense I'm an agnostic.

I could add a third position as well: I don't care whether gods exist or not. In that sense I'm an apatheist. :)

regards,

Hein

And there, indeed is the crux of the matter. We have to be prepared to question ourselves and our beliefs. If we have any.

Anyone who believes anything with utmost certainty is almost certainly more or less wrong, as Fred Molenaars might have said.

In that sense, I'm a Molenaarist, probably. :P

Only you - Drew!

>snip<

drew_gertie.jpg

Yes, nice work finding a picture of that little girl's arse.

Mmm, seriously questioning your sense of perception, Gunjaman.

However I shall not allow it to make me feel guilty as I ogle that picture Banshees kindly posted for the rest of the day.

And, as I have just discovered to my glee, if you print it out it is actually a poster that has been posted!

Anyone who believes anything with utmost certainty is almost certainly more or less wrong, as Fred Molenaars might have said.

In that sense, I'm a Molenaarist, probably. :)

I've been wanting to ask that for some time: who is Fred Molenaars, apart from a Dutchman? I've never heard of him and Google only finds DL posts.

My guess'd be he's your dentist.

regards,

Hein

Look at this:

.......... starting from a single bacterium-like ancestor which lived between 3 and 4 billion years ago.

You'll still find these in some Newcastle night clubs. And if your beer googles are sturdy enough, you may wake up with one.

(This was just an excuse to post that piccie again)

The wisdom of Ernest Becker includes:

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.

The idea of death, the fear of it, haunts the human animal like nothing else; it is a mainspring of human activity - designed largely to avoid the fatality of death, to overcome it by denying in some way that it is the final destiny of man.

Strikes me that the second quote might've been talking about some of the darker jokes posted on this forum.

Mmm, seriously questioning your sense of perception, Gunjaman.

However I shall not allow it to make me feel guilty as I ogle that picture Banshees kindly posted for the rest of the day.

Just questioning (unseriously) why we're being treated to a preteen wankfest picture relevant to um, ah...

Both hands back on the keyboard please!

Just questioning (unseriously) why we're being treated to a preteen wankfest picture relevant to um, ah...

She was well developed for a preteen wasn't she.

Where is this conversation going... In my mind i'm hoping there is some sort of joke behind all of this that I just haven't quiet figured out yet.

In that sense, I'm a Molenaarist, probably. :skull:

I've been wanting to ask that for some time: who is Fred Molenaars, apart from a Dutchman? I've never heard of him and Google only finds DL posts.

My guess'd be he's your dentist.

regards,

Hein

OK, there is a perfectly simple explanation for all of this. I have been spelling his name wrongly. He is called Fred Molenaar, not Molenaars. His girlfiend's name is Molenaars, hence the confusion.

Fred is one of the foremost philosophers of his generation. The originator of the phrase "a man is not a potato", he was last heard of residing in Belgium.

I hope that goes some way towards explaining the mystery that is Fred.

PS: My dentist is called Wolfgang and isn't given to philosophical remarks, although he is outstanding in his particular field.

oooh, so that explains your name! i had wondered about it... and i like the phrase so much that i'm going to check him out tomorrow.

by the way, i know you think i'm always taking the piss out of you, but i'm NOT this time, ok? he does sound really interesting.

oooh, so that explains your name! i had wondered about it... and i like the phrase so much that i'm going to check him out tomorrow.

by the way, i know you think i'm always taking the piss out of you, but i'm NOT this time, ok? he does sound really interesting.

I'm certain you aren't taking the piss Mr. Pulphack.

Do let me kmow if you find out anything interesting.

:):skull:

Do let me kmow if you find out anything interesting.

Hey you changed your avatar..............