Sign in to follow this  
Holy Diver

Running Out Of Time?

As we inevitably beat the crap out of this year, and start to think about moving on to the next one, is there much chance of even coming close to the 14/50 record set in 2003?

With a puny 7/50 this late on in the year, is it too late? Or will winter be particularly unkind to the celebrities this year?

This would have worked better as a multiple vitamin choice.

People will cease to exist as it happens and it may be that another 30 will soon be deceased on the list or it may well turn out that nary another passes on this year. Time will tell.

As we inevitably beat the crap out of this year, and start to think about moving on to the next one, is there much chance of even coming close to the 14/50 record set in 2003?

With a puny 7/50 this late on in the year, is it too late? Or will winter be particularly unkind to the celebrities this year?

I think towards the end of this year we really need to have a good review of how the candidates are chosen.

OoO's thread should prove useful in narrowing down the selections to those with a good chance of dying in '07

The current list is awash with candidates who really aren't likely to die soon, eg Claire Rayner, Ingmar Bergman and Tony Curtis.

I think towards the end of this year we really need to have a good review of how the candidates are chosen.

OoO's thread should prove useful in narrowing down the selections to those with a good chance of dying in '07

The current list is awash with candidates who really aren't likely to die soon, eg Claire Rayner, Ingmar Bergman and Tony Curtis.

ThaRT -NIGHET TONY cURTIS CROAJKJED.

If there's a worldwide bout of:

Rain falls

Thunder cracks the air

Lightning from the sky

Everywhere

We could still make well into double figures. Otherwise I think Tempus has a point. There's death spotting talent around here, this season's new boy Alphonsin is already impressing the crowds, and a useful thread pinned on the forum. It's only right that as medical science tries harder to keep the buggers breathing, we have to raise our game.

Quite a lot of the people who are chosen are wealthy, and so will be able to afford better healthcare. Is this factored into the selection process? The more important someone is, the greater lengths they will go to, to keep them alive.

Also, is it legal to chose famous people with terminal illnesses? Or is that considered shooting fish in a barrel?

You are young HD, you have much to learn.

Famous and terminal rocks round here, why else would Lou Rawles make his final chart topping appearance on the DL 2006?

Famous just because they're terminal is a dodgy one, that Kirsty Howard, the young girl David and Victoria Beckham like to be photographed with is - generally speaking - considered off limits.

There is a grey area mind, Jane Tomlinson, for example, famous for being terminally ill for sure but she's so famous now you'll find a few, me included, reckoning she's legit.

Finally, shooting fish in a barrel is F*****g dangerous, bullets go through barrel sides and into your feet, the danger of richochet injury is very high and the spashes off the water throw your aim all to sh*t. Frankly, the safe thing to do is throw an electric lead into the barrel, flip the switch for a second and - having turned off the power - collect the fish.

Go well

You are young HD, you have much to learn.

Famous and terminal rocks round here, why else would Lou Rawles make his final chart topping appearance on the DL 2006?

Famous just because they're terminal is a dodgy one, that Kirsty Howard, the young girl David and Victoria Beckham like to be photographed with is - generally speaking - considered off limits.

There is a grey area mind, Jane Tomlinson, for example, famous for being terminally ill for sure but she's so famous now you'll find a few, me included, reckoning she's legit.

Finally, shooting fish in a barrel is F*****g dangerous, bullets go through barrel sides and into your feet, the danger of richochet injury is very high and the spashes off the water throw your aim all to sh*t. Frankly, the safe thing to do is throw an electric lead into the barrel, flip the switch for a second and - having turned off the power - collect the fish.

Go well

Aha, yes, I see

*scrawls on notepad*

So, you wouldn't have picked Terri Schiavo for instance, because she was famous for being a gigantic vegetable. In fact, picking her would have been a gamble as to whether they removed the feeding tube.

Right okay. I think I'm on the same frequency now.

You're right on it, because yer example above highlights another problem. Fat, peristent vegitative states and the rest also cause debate. It's not an exact science and this thread will doubtless draw in debate to back up this observation. So there's a general consensus about a lot of picks, and some disagreement elsewhere.

So - for example - the fat and fearless thread I started a while back shows another grey area. Famous for their huge bulk alone probably rules them out. But a self-inflicted fatso making a living as some television freak.....hmmm, debatably legit.

The one thing you can't ignore is that steady drip, drip, drip away of life for us all. So we watch, and wait until the moment when, as yer man Dio observed:

In the light of the day

You can hear the old ones say

Was the sound last night the wind?

Can you feel the change begin

and they die, and we congratulate ourselves, or summat.

and on that note, I've reduced a few names on the list, who are good suggestions but more so for DL 2009-2012, so that some of the more likely to drop names are left for consideration.

In a way 7 out of 50 is a bit thin. My current list of 50 names has just 6 hits.

Where as, my last list of ten names on rotten.com got a winning 6 out of ten score during the previous 12 months. I'm going to put this thin patch down to modern medicine brakethroughs of late.

HOWEVER every one dies in the end and DL are sure to post a score well above 14 out of 50 if chosen well. That brings us back to how the admin guys want to pick the list.

We, little fry, do the leg work, crunch the numbers and post to extreme. Last year I put forward the idea that we conduct a deathlist convention. Had a bit of interest, but we need backing from the admin bods that do the list - should they think that's a better way of coming up with a winning path to glory. (no point doing a convention if the result does not feed into the official 50 name deathlist)

So GR, any chance you wish to do a bit of "a face to face event" to build a better list?

(Oh, and by the way, this is my 200th post)

I think one of the problems lie with names are chosen that have appeared more recently in the news and often better choices are forgotten about.

The list that Octi compiled will help in that it will be easier to peruse through those that have been discussed to whittle it down to a better lists. Although some years you just get lucky. Last year I put Barbara Bel Geddes on my list, had no idea on her health status and lo-and-behold she died in August and the year before that Artie Shaw appeared on my list.

There have been some big names that have died this year that I doubt anyone expected. Especially with people like Gene Pitney.

Last year I put forward the idea that we conduct a deathlist convention. Had a bit of interest, but we need backing from the admin bods that do the list. So GR, any chance you wish to do a bit of "a face to face event" to build a better list?

Considering we're spread out all over the world, I don't see this happening. Unless you sell your Lotus Elise & pay for us all to meet in one place. :P

Seriously, we now have a list of - what 200-300 names? If DL can't pick 50 good 'uns from there, and from their own lists they might have, then what's the point of meeting up? Unless it's by chat etc.

and personally, I think 7 out of 50 is a fair score considering this year. Even TF & FF, who lead the DL challenge in the DDP, have yet to get more than 8.

Since we're having the debate and it's right that we are, I'd like to chip in something on style (not for the first time).

First, it's never going to be like shooting fish in a barrel. I would never have expected Pinter to have lasted so long at the beginning of the year. But it is possible to do well by taking the actuarial approach and by stretching the definitions of fame (allowed by the obit rule) to include all kinds of obscure people and death row candidates so that at the end of the year you have an impressive list but it is one that most people looking at it will say "who he?" to half of them.

Real style is picking the Steve Irwins of this world (not luck, entirely) or dredging up a well known oldie that everyone else has somehow forgotten (not many of those these days, but still a few). I also like to see pics that have imposed little personal rules within rules such as "must include an ex-Blue Peter presenter", or a member of the Royal Family, a famous Belgian, or "perm one from how many surviving members there are of the cast of Z-Cars or Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". I think there could be rich pickings from that last one.

I think I'm right in saying that the Deathlist committee does try to entertain by, in the main, picking truly famous people. The temptation to do a trawl of death row in late December is high but is that what the DL is really about?

Since we're having the debate and it's right that we are, I'd like to chip in something on style (not for the first time).

First, it's never going to be like shooting fish in a barrel. I would never have expected Pinter to have lasted so long at the beginning of the year. But it is possible to do well by taking the actuarial approach and by stretching the definitions of fame (allowed by the obit rule) to include all kinds of obscure people and death row candidates so that at the end of the year you have an impressive list but it is one that most people looking at it will say "who he?" to half of them.

Real style is picking the Steve Irwins of this world (not luck, entirely) or dredging up a well known oldie that everyone else has somehow forgotten (not many of those these days, but still a few). I also like to see pics that have imposed little personal rules within rules such as "must include an ex-Blue Peter presenter", or a member of the Royal Family, a famous Belgian, or "perm one from how many surviving members there are of the cast of Z-Cars or Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". I think there could be rich pickings from that last one.

I think I'm right in saying that the Deathlist committee does try to entertain by, in the main, picking truly famous people. The temptation to do a trawl of death row in late December is high but is that what the DL is really about?

I agree with Godot. This has long since been an unofficial DL rule.

If you don't like it, you know where the door is.

The DL is just a bit of fun. I think that people like Rotton Ali and OoO remove the fun by trying to make it into some sort of professional science of death.

and personally, I think 7 out of 50 is a fair score considering this year. Even TF & FF, who lead the DL challenge in the DDP, have yet to get more than 8.

The DDP though is limited to 20 selections,

so FF's 8 out of 20 would equate to a DL hit rate of 20 out of 50, making 7 out of 50 look pretty poor.

200!! Rotten Ali you post-whore.

so FF's 8 out of 20 would equate to a DL hit rate of 20 out of 50, making 7 out of 50 look pretty poor.

Apply the DL rules to your DDP.

How many hits would you have?

Apply the DL rules to your DDP.

How many hits would you have?

Maxine_Edgington wouldn't have made it onto the DL. I hadn't heard of her until she had died.

It seemed that she had just recorded a song with Billy Bragg because she was dying, not that she was already an accomlished singer

Tempus would only have 4/20 if deathlist rules were applied.

Lillian Aspluid is only really famous because she lived long enough to out live over 1000 others.

Maria de Caporila was the worlds oldest person as was Edith Ingamels.

So Tempus is only marginally ahead of DL with something like 12/50 (my math isn't upto much).

Tempus would only have 4/20 if deathlist rules were applied.

Lillian Aspluid is only really famous because she lived long enough to out live over 1000 others.

Maria de Caporila was the worlds oldest person as was Edith Ingamels.

So Tempus is only marginally ahead of DL with something like 12/50 (my math isn't upto much).

DeathList's criteria are more strict than the DDP, but 7 out of 50 thus far is still pretty poor.

It depends on what the reason for DL selection is, do you only choose those who are real prospects or do you throw in a few wildcards for the hell of it.

What after all is Brooke Astor's real claim to fame?

She is just a rich very elderly socialite who gives to charity.

I think there were a few deaths this year that were not spotted and should

have been (Shelley Winters), but you never know with death. Look at Astor, she's

not only really old, but is apparently treated poorly as well and she still wont pop.

My parallel list is also rather sparse but interestingly they are mostly DDP hits. How many of

the magnificent seven are DDP hits for Deathlist?

I agree with you there as well.

Coretta Scott King and Ibrahim Rugova are two DDP hits of mine that I learned of from this forum.

I think the problem we have with the DL committee (ie. the admins (excluding Hein)) is that they don't read the forums regularly to get up to date information on candidates.

TF, I agree with you on the subject of Brooke Astor. I think ,however, she does qualify because she first found fame in NY due to and her 'Astor' status. It's just that she got very old.

I think the problem we have with the DL committee (ie. the admins (excluding Hein)) is that they don't read the forums regularly to get up to date information on candidates

I take yer point, but as a rule I come on the DL to get a break from the mind numbing pointlessness of colliding my brilliant ideas with the wall of indifference administered by senior management. Man, you've just reminded me that maybe, things are the same the world over!

F**k, I need a beer, fast!

I agree with you there as well.

Coretta Scott King and Ibrahim Rugova are two DDP hits of mine that I learned of from this forum.

I think the problem we have with the DL committee (ie. the admins (excluding Hein)) is that they don't read the forums regularly to get up to date information on candidates.

TF, I agree with you on the subject of Brooke Astor. I think ,however, she does qualify because she first found fame in NY due to and her 'Astor' status. It's just that she got very old.

Why in buggeration was Claire Rayner left on this years list, I understand why she was first listed (MRSA), but she's recovered from that ages ago.

GR hasn't logged on for almost a month!!

GR hasn't logged on for almost a month!!

Sounds ominous, should we have had him listed?