Windsor

Derby Dead Pool 2007

Blast - there goes my lead - well done FF for picking Mehmed Uzun.

He needs that obit though. If he gets it, you have to say he's favourite to retain his title, but you're pushing him all the way!

:crossbone:

Indonesia reconsidering capital punishment :P:banghead:

This means that the Bali bombers might not get to meet up with their 72 virgins for quite a while, if ever and I won't get my 44 DDP points.

Not happy about this at all, I was rather hoping they'd be executed this weekend.:angry:

44 Points! Bejesus....I hope they get suspended sentence.... ;)

Bali bombers will not appeal for clemency

JAKARTA (Reuters) - Three Indonesian militants on death row for their involvement in planning the Bali bombings five years ago said on Saturday they were ready to die and would not seek a presidential pardon.

Now from my knowledge I figure the 'Derby Dead Pool' is arguably the general home for competitive death-related competitions on the internet today (Or maybe it isn't even arguable) but 'my problem' with it is I've recognized that war criminals and 'anybody who is going to be executed' has become the difference since 'a majority' of these guys are not f****n ninety nine years old. On the score board they have 'top notch value'. I'm not expecting to have these rules adjusted, but just for kicks do I not have a point? I expect my only critics to be entrants who have 'two thirds' of their list stacked with inmates.

So to break it down should 'Derby Dead Pool' become 'Derby On Death Row Pool?'

I have a pretty good idea that next year we will see a majority of teams that resemble 'No Noose Is Good Noose' and since hanging somebody isn't exactly reflecting any 'selective talent' I feel this rule has to be eliminated because it's very unprofessional and since many of us like to call it a sport ....... having your whole team amounting of 'Death Row Candidates' is basically like using steroids.

Hear me now. Hear me.

Now from my knowledge I figure the 'Derby Dead Pool' is arguably the general home for competitive death-related competitions on the internet today (Or maybe it isn't even arguable) but 'my problem' with it is I've recognized that war criminals and 'anybody who is going to be executed' has become the difference since 'a majority' of these guys are not f****n ninety nine years old. On the score board they have 'top notch value'. I'm not expecting to have these rules adjusted, but just for kicks do I not have a point? I expect my only critics to be entrants who have 'two thirds' of their list stacked with inmates.

So to break it down should 'Derby Dead Pool' become 'Derby On Death Row Pool?'

I have a pretty good idea that next year we will see a majority of teams that resemble 'No Noose Is Good Noose' and since hanging somebody isn't exactly reflecting any 'selective talent' I feel this rule has to be eliminated because it's very unprofessional and since many of us like to call it a sport ....... having your whole team amounting of 'Death Row Candidates' is basically like using steroids.

Hear me now. Hear me.

That and teenage cancer patients.

It's a disgrace.

That and teenage cancer patients.

It's a disgrace.

And Youth In Asia

I agree with you 100%. If there was ever to be an immaculate reason the 'competitive sport of death' is outlawed it would be exactly because 'of the example' in your previous statement. I think it's time DDP sets some standards.

FYI Banshees, this is a copy of their rules. Death is death no matter how you look at it. How many people on death row have been there for 20 odd years? How many are spared the 'executioners axe'? (OK that sounds like a Hollywood movie, but I'm sure it happens).

THE BASICS:

Pick 20 different celebrities who are alive as at 1st January 2007, but who, in your opinion, will no longer be with us by 31st December 2007.

Nominate one of them as your "joker".

For each celeb demise that you guess correctly, you'll score points, and if your joker sadly passes away, your grief will be alleviated by the fact that you'll score double points.

We'll keep you updated via email every time someone scores points, and there will be a (usually) up-to-date scoreboard on the website.

The team with the most points at the end of the year will, unsurprisingly, be deemed to be the winner.

In the event of a dead heat on points, the winner will be selected according to the following criteria, applied in this order:

The most hits (i.e. correctly-chosen deceased celebs).

The youngest average age of hits.

The most amusing team name.

OTHER RULES:

All entrants must supply a team name and a valid email address. We will never reveal your email address to anyone else.

All of your chosen celebs must be:

Human.

At least 16 years old as at 1st January 2007.

Actual real-life people, not characters out of soap operas and the like.

Named individuals, not just "Pope Wotsisface" or "the oldest person in the world".

Players must not murder their chosen celebs. That's cheating, and cheating is wrong.

The date of death is taken as that in the country/region where the person died, i.e. local time is used. If the time of death is reported as exactly midnight local time, the date of the day just beginning is used. This may be relevant in deciding bonuses (see below).

DEFINITIONS:

"Celebrity" means someone who, upon their death, gets a written obituary in a British national newspaper or on the BBC News website. This does mean that you can't always be sure when picking your team whether each person will be famous enough or not, but that's all part of the game.

"Obituary" simply means an article which mentions the fact that the person has died. It doesn't have to be the conventional biographical write-up.

"Alive" means drawing breath, not decomposing, that kind of thing.

"No longer with us" is the opposite of the above.

"Death" means the transition from the former to the latter. The death of a career (e.g. Michael Jackson) doesn't count.

If people had the vision to foresee the future executions....................... then well done to them.

Oh and by the way, I'm way down in 122nd place at the moment and hold no grudge :lol:

After all rules is rules

The impression I get Banshees, is that the rule (that being soon-to-be executees) will be dropped, or amended.

The problem, if there is one, has only really come about this year with so many high-profile Iraqi executions and even more mass media outlets covering the American deaths.

I'm as guilty as anyone - I picked Clarence Ray Allen as my joker in 2006 & put Al-Tikriti & Al-Bandar on in 2007.

To be fair to those who have picked the likes of Al-Majid, or DDT's Bali 3, these can go either way in that the sentence is commuted, or in the case of the American's, they don't get obits.

No Noose is not going to win, so I don't see that it matters too much.

And I still find that people who chose J. Grove on their DDP rather than Iraqi executees to be more wrong..

One rule I would like to see, and agree with previous posters is making the unique pick bonus higher - maybe 3 points instead of 1.

The impression I get Banshees, is that the rule will be dropped.

The problem has only really come about this year with so many high-profile Iraqi executions and even more mass media outlets covering the American deaths.

Well as you can see 'it's not like' any of these Iraqi executions are dropping in statistics. The Noose isn't winning, but next year somebody with a Noose approach will 'in my view' or at least 'I find it' probable.

If you choose to stack your list with Iraqi characters I can't hold anything against you, since after all it's not like you were the only one doing it.

The best solution that I can comprehend is to bring all predetermined executions down to the lowest score-capacity on the chalk board. I figure excluding the concept entirely would be more difficult, but lowering the value of a predetermined candidate would be more effective. The reasons are obvious 'some people don't hear about it' - 'they have fifty lists that have illegal names .. they have to edit them .. ex

Overall I hope what your saying will prove itself to be in motion because I think it would make DDP more competitive and 'no doubt' more of a better game.

The impression I get Banshees, is that the rule (that being soon-to-be executees) will be dropped, or amended.

I'm as guilty as anyone - I picked Clarence Ray Allen as my joker in 2006 & put Al-Tikriti & Al-Bandar on in 2007.

And I still find that people who chose J. Grove on their DDP rather than Iraqi executees to be more wrong..

More wrong, Ock? How so? You either conform to the rules of the game or you don't. There is no moral high ground in accurately picking who's going to die.

Rules are rules. I'm not a big fan of some of the DDP rules but I've looked into how each will affect the year-end results and I put together the best list I could to work within those rules. If I could ammend the rules for next year I would bring in a "only 1 person to qualify via death penalty" and raise the over "16 rule" to be "over 18".

Likewise with 420 teams, finding a unique pick is getting harder and harder. Giving 1 point for the player is little reconpence and it pushes the organisers of the game into finding more and more obscure facts about these extra thousand B list people. Its a vast task for them to bring this data in and control it all. In this respect I would limit the pool of qualifing picks to only be drawn only from those that have been picked for this years competion, bar one. That is, the "supporting pick" has to have a (correctly sized) picture, full date of birth, place of birth and a twenty to thirty word write-up to support the inclusion onto the site.

In this respect I would limit the pool of qualifing picks to only be drawn only from those that have been picked for this years competion, bar one. That is, the "supporting pick" has to have a (correctly sized) picture, full date of birth, place of birth and a twenty to thirty word write-up to support the inclusion onto the site.

What a ridicilous suggestion. That only benefits the lazy & makes a mockery & a complete waste of time for those of us like FF, DDT, myself & many others who actively look around for excellent candidates, rather than just choose from a limited pool.

If you want a limited pool, stay on the Rotten Dead Pool. But a lot of people avoid it 'cos it's sh*t.

I am confident that I will have at least 4 unique picks next year, maybe another 4 yet. That's why the unique pick bonus should be increased to reflect the hard work in finding these names. And these names ARE famous - all would get UK obits.

Sometimes people don't have a full date & place of birth, but they are arguably famous - Ronnie Hazlehurst for one, may I note, his birthdate was not known at time of death, but there's no doubt he was an excellent candidate.

PS Fair point, Deadsox.

Rules are rules. I'm not a big fan of some of the DDP rules but I've looked into how each will affect the year-end results and I put together the best list I could to work within those rules. If I could ammend the rules for next year I would bring in a "only 1 person to qualify via death penalty" and raise the over "16 rule" to be "over 18".

Mr.Rotten Ali you've completely lost me with your bottom paragraph, I think the whole idea is to draw up original masterpieces instead of using all the obvious names. If you were running a more low volumed 'conservative' dead pool the suggestion you made would make sense but 'I'm sorry' DDP is about going beyond the limits.

The rational approach is all subjects should have a Wikipedia page because usually 'if your anybody' you have at least four lines written in detail about you. If you have a Wikipedia entry, in most cases the candidate is not really that far out.

I could settle for one predetermined candidate on each list. My original idea was bring 'all executions' down to the lowest hit value but 'your suggestion' also works for me.

I'm going to try and get these rules adjusted, I figure it's unlikely but if anybody has a voice at this point it's DDP master Football Fan who has been pretty much 'in his own league' for the passed two years. I really don't know what Football Fans view on this matter is, but if anybody has authority it belongs to him and if he could advise the organizers 'what a disaster' for natural death -competition these Iraqi hangings are 'not to mention sixteen year old cancer patients' it would revolutionize DDP and it would restore and maximize the selective talent of all participants.

Interesting to see how table looks under the old points system and without Grove and the comdemned...

Dorothy Webb Sir Cliff's mum.

Does this local write up count or do I have to wait until The Sun covers it tomorrow? I'm guessing the sourcing to The Press Association here is enough.

Dorothy Webb Sir Cliff's mum.

Does this local write up count or do I have to wait until The Sun covers it tomorrow? I'm guessing the sourcing to The Press Association here is enough.

Nope, not yet. Please read the rules again, MPFC about local papers.

EDIT No matter. It's in the Daily Mirror

and so I lose my top 10 place to MPFC :lol:

In this respect I would limit the pool of qualifing picks to only be drawn only from those that have been picked for this years competion, bar one. That is, the "supporting pick" has to have a (correctly sized) picture, full date of birth, place of birth and a twenty to thirty word write-up to support the inclusion onto the site.

What a ridicilous suggestion. That only benefits the lazy & makes a mockery & a complete waste of time for those of us like FF, DDT, myself & many others who actively look around for excellent candidates, rather than just choose from a limited pool.

If you want a limited pool, stay on the Rotten Dead Pool. But a lot of people avoid it 'cos it's sh*t.

I am confident that I will have at least 4 unique picks next year, maybe another 4 yet. That's why the unique pick bonus should be increased to reflect the hard work in finding these names. And these names ARE famous - all would get UK obits.

Sometimes people don't have a full date & place of birth, but they are arguably famous - Ronnie Hazlehurst for one, may I note, his birthdate was not known at time of death, but there's no doubt he was an excellent candidate.

PS Fair point, Deadsox.

Fair point OoO. So how about at least 12 of your 20 must be drawn from the 2007 DDP list and if you want to include your own sourced people then they must be supplied with supporting documents (photo, age, place of birth, link to wiki page etc.)

Fair point OoO. So how about at least 12 of your 20 must be drawn from the 2007 DDP list and if you want to include your own sourced people then they must be supplied with supporting documents (photo, age, place of birth, link to wiki page etc.)

No.

Because, as I said before, if I want a restricted dead pool, I'd go to the Rotten Dead Pool. I like the Derby Dead Pool as it allows me to pick whoever I want.

Oh & by the way, a lot of finding the information about the 2007 names was down to me after I (and others) volunteered. There's already a database in place, so the 2008 extra names shouldn't take that long this year.

So, as long as there are still those of us who actually volunteer, rather than sit & carp, there's no need for restrictions anyway.

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the existing DDP thread over in the extra-curricular forum?

'Cliff grief for Mum' page 7 of The Sun today.

'MPFC Smug Git' yet to be reported in the press.

'Cliff grief for Mum' page 7 of The Sun today.

'MPFC Smug Git' yet to be reported in the press.

Well done that man! I'm surprised it's your first time though. Beginner's luck, just like me last year....

...and then.... :(

First time DDP you mean? Yeah. I did the CPDP a few months before it and had a mixed experience, picking people on my main team who died and didn't gain points but winning the theme team with my crumbly oldsters. See what you mean about beginners luck mind, my new theme team of former leaders and first ladies are defiantly breathing despite the CPDP starting with wall to wall deaths that have got the scoreboard off to a swift start.

I've enjoyed the discussion about the rules for the DDP. As a rookie, I doubt my input will carry much weight, but here it is anyway. I agree with some of Ali's points (minimum age of 18 and better reward for unique picks) but I also agree with Ock in that you should be able to pick whomever you like. Those who work hard should be rewarded. I have one suggestion: How about adding the New York Times to the British media for an official obit for those on this side of the pond?

I've enjoyed the discussion about the rules for the DDP. As a rookie, I doubt my input will carry much weight, but here it is anyway. I agree with some of Ali's points (minimum age of 18 and better reward for unique picks) but I also agree with Ock in that you should be able to pick whomever you like. Those who work hard should be rewarded. I have one suggestion: How about adding the New York Times to the British media for an official obit for those on this side of the pond?

Towards the end of last year, I had made the suggestion to the organizers of having a US based media, such as CNN included as an obit source, but it was turned down. I do agree with raising the minimum age of candidates from 16 to 18. The change that I would like to see though would be for the selection of people on death row to be disallowed.

Towards the end of last year, I had made the suggestion to the organizers of having a US based media, such as CNN included as an obit source, but it was turned down. I do agree with raising the minimum age of candidates from 16 to 18. The change that I would like to see though would be for the selection of people on death row to be disallowed.

The DDP organizers turned down CNN as an obituary source? My first thought actually was 'the DDP organizers don't use CNN as an obituary source? Isn't CNN one of the most gratified news corporations in the world? ........

On what matters I think a dozen E - mails or so by DDP regulars might make a difference on next years rules 'basically what FF said' since 'if they are not rejuvenated' the worst case scenario might be the winners formula is 'Inmate Enhanced'

To break it down regardless of what you get out of DDP, I get a learning experience not to mention a chance to act competitively in the great sport of death. The last reason I enter DDP is because at some length I think it's 'enjoyable' to see your creative premonitions, your masterpiece at work and with results.

And if you get 'results' by mainly listing criminals who's execution dates are available, it's not creative and most of all it's certainly not a masterpiece.

So get sending those E - Mails!

ddp2007@derbydeadpool.co.uk

Blast - there goes my lead - well done FF for picking Mehmed Uzun.

He needs that obit though. If he gets it, you have to say he's favourite to retain his title, but you're pushing him all the way!

:lol:

Mehmed Uzun has, finally, got a UK obit in the Times.