Guest Arnold

Richard O'Sullivan

did he show that calm and collected poise in front of goal that we remember so well? or did he always miss the desk when he put his pencil down...

did he show that calm and collected poise in front of goal that we remember so well? or did he always miss the desk when he put his pencil down...

I can't really remember! He obviously didn't make much of an impression on me!

He obviously didn't make much of an impression on me!

I could name several hundred ECFC fans who might agree with that sentiment.

I wonder what team Dicky O supports. I also wonder that if I printed off this entire thread and posted it to

Brinsworth House, Dicky might die laughing when he reads it.

The latest edition of Word magazine puts both Robin's Nest and Man About the House in its list of "20 Best Sitcoms of All Time"

The latest edition of Word magazine puts both Robin's Nest and [/i]Man About the House in its list of "20 Best Sitcoms of All Time"

There's very little to argue with on either the list of the 20 best or of the 20 worst.

However, the inclusion of two vehicles for Dickie is, to say the least, surprising. Robin's Nest better than Cheers or Frasier? Apparently 3000 votes were received from an address in Twickenham.

Time was I had some respect for the opinions expressed in Word magazine. Better than Cheers or Frasier - no way, better than The Vicar of Dibley, yeah, just about.

Ooh look, 55,000 views for the Dickie thread!

Time was I had some respect for the opinions expressed in Word magazine. Better than Cheers or Frasier - no way, better than The Vicar of Dibley, yeah, just about.

In this case, most of Word's opinions seem about right. Great to see Men Behaving Badly, Bottoms and Bread in the worst 20 list with Bread winning worst ever sitcom award. Steptoe the best?? Not convinced.

The Vicar of Dibley was in neither list but was certainly worse than anything that Dickie appeared in.

The real horror of the Vicar of Dibley is that there's a good chance there'll be more episodes.

In this case, most of Word's opinions seem about right. Great to see Men Behaving Badly, Bottoms and Bread in the worst 20 list with Bread winning worst ever sitcom award. Steptoe the best?? Not convinced.

The Vicar of Dibley was in neither list but was certainly worse than anything that Dickie appeared in.

I must get this issue. I was very pleased when they dissed Mark Lamarr in a previous issue and I'm doubly delighted they've ripped the back out of Bread and Men Behaving Badly

I have to ask whether I'm in a minority in seeing Little Britain as being as obvious, repetitive and crass as say, Mind Your Language or Bottoms.

While I'm here I've been watching telly out of the corner of my eye (I like to try new approaches to viewing). I've just watched the VW Passat advert where two hotel porters fight for the privilege of parking the car.

One guy loses the fight but then looks smug at not having to unload the luggage - is that Ronald Hines of 'Not in Front of the Children'? Yet another crap 60s comedy. I had assumed that he may have passed on many years ago.

I have to ask whether I'm in a minority in seeing Little Britain as being as obvious, repetitive and crass as say, Mind Your Language or Bottoms.

While I'm here I've been watching telly out of the corner of my eye (I like to try new approaches to viewing). I've just watched the VW Passat advert where two hotel porters fight for the privilege of parking the car.

One guy loses the fight but then looks smug at not having to unload the luggage - is that Ronald Hines of 'Not in Front of the Children'? Yet another crap 60s comedy. I had assumed that he may have passed on many years ago.

Little Britain is deeply unfunny. I think there is an Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome about it where noone wants to be the first to say "It's just not funny". There I said it. Now you can all say it too

i think you're right about the emperor's new clothes... little britain isn't funny, but it isn't quite the worst sketch show - that's the abominable titty bangbang. what the pair of them have in common is that they're incredibly formalist - both take classic sketch forms and strip them to a bunch of visual and verbal signifiers, without having any real jokes or character comedy in there. in some ways, they're the antithesis of milligan, cook, python, etc who sought to strip the form away and concentrate on trying to be funny without that (not that they were always successful, but...) so they have classic form, but no content. any attempts at humour tend to be mean spirited, as well - they seem to be about poking nastily at the open wounds of embarrassment and difference. in which way they mirror current society, i suppose, but it will change (it always does). personally, i find that kind of humour cheap and nasty - and also far too easy: these are supposed to be talents, any bugger can stand in a playground and go 'look at the funny fat bloke', 'look at the funny bald woman who's got a bad chemotherapy wig'. it raises a knee jerk response amongst many (me too, sad to say), but it's no indication of any real depth of talent.

anyway, haven't seen that word issue, but doesn't any poll just tell you about the readership rather than any kind of objective quality? not that you see it that way when you agree with the choices, of course...

Little Britain is deeply unfunny. I think there is an Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome about it where noone wants to be the first to say "It's just not funny". There I said it. Now you can all say it too

Well handrejka .......... I think that, at best, you're second to say it, if I may say so.

55'000.WOW.

i think you're right about the emperor's new clothes... little britain isn't funny, but it isn't quite the worst sketch show - that's the abominable titty bangbang. what the pair of them have in common is that they're incredibly formalist - both take classic sketch forms and strip them to a bunch of visual and verbal signifiers, without having any real jokes or character comedy in there. in some ways, they're the antithesis of milligan, cook, python, etc who sought to strip the form away and concentrate on trying to be funny without that (not that they were always successful, but...) so they have classic form, but no content. any attempts at humour tend to be mean spirited, as well - they seem to be about poking nastily at the open wounds of embarrassment and difference. in which way they mirror current society, i suppose, but it will change (it always does). personally, i find that kind of humour cheap and nasty - and also far too easy: these are supposed to be talents, any bugger can stand in a playground and go 'look at the funny fat bloke', 'look at the funny bald woman who's got a bad chemotherapy wig'. it raises a knee jerk response amongst many (me too, sad to say), but it's no indication of any real depth of talent.

anyway, haven't seen that word issue, but doesn't any poll just tell you about the readership rather than any kind of objective quality? not that you see it that way when you agree with the choices, of course...

Dr Williams, welcome aboard, your well expressed opinions about the decline of morality and dumbing down of society will find a willing audience to debate them here. I'm sure you'll find the company more stimulating than the usual sychophantic crowd in Lambeth Palace.

ooh, get your handbags out! that's fighting talk where i come from... oh yes, they're all dead hard down at the palace (well, it is south london)

If they were that 'ard it'd be 'Sarf' London.

Your Grace!

no, definitely 'south' as we like to show a bit of class down the old palace. us men of the cloth are a cut above, don't you know. we are educated men, like... now leave it before i get out the old 'ancient & modern' and show you what else they teach us in lambeth...

peace be with you my son.

And with you you Grace.

Dickie in the wiki, should any one hereabouts feel the urge to - erm - edit the page.

Coming soon, his 62nd birthday on May 7th.

Dickie in the wiki, should any one hereabouts feel the urge to - erm - edit the page.

Coming soon, his 62nd birthday on May 7th.

From Wikipedia ...

After a family holiday in Ireland as a boy, O'Sullivan returned with a strong Irish accent and was sent to stage school to try to get rid of it

For many reasons that seems quite implausible. Presumably Wiki, like the DL, has a Dickie O sub-committee who will be examining this claim even as I write.

Must dash - have got to get a cake baked, iced and delivered to Brinsworth by the 7th. It never stops.

The Wiki article also states that Robin's Nest is Alan Partridge's favourite comedy.

Now, you can't get a much higher accolade than that...

It also says that he had a major part in Cleopatra. Major? Was it? I haven't seen the film since I was a boy, so I can't recall, but was it a major part? I've looked on IMBD and he's way down the cast list. Can anyone confirm whether Dick's part was major or not?

Dickie O and 'major' parts are not exactly synonymous. Anyone capable of 'losing' a scene to Tessa Wyatt starts from way back in the race.

Cleopatra: As I recall it's about the length and intensity of a decent cameo appearance, although he hadn't the profile to claim it as such at the time.

Dickie O and 'major' parts are not exactly synonymous.

I've had women say that about me.

But, seriously, has anyone got a copy of Dickie's This is Your Life?

I'd love to see it, and it would probably show if he had any relatives who died young, etc.

Or perhaps this is just a shameless bump... :D

Dickie O and 'major' parts are not exactly synonymous.

I've had women say that about me.

But, seriously, has anyone got a copy of Dickie's This is Your Life?

I'd love to see it, and it would probably show if he had any relatives who died young, etc.

Or perhaps this is just a shameless bump... :o

Nothing wrong with a shameless bump where Dick is concerned.

Oh, and a belated 'Happy Birthday' for the seventh, Mister O' Sullivan. :lol::D:D