Guest Arnold

Richard O'Sullivan

Gimme Ted Rogers and his sidekick Dusty Bin over Ant and Dec anyday, and give me Richard O'Sullivan over Peter Kay! and Tony Hancock over Paul Merton!

Do I even need to say it? ;)

Wow. The R O'S thread appears to have gone made over the last few days. I will have to go back through it and see what the hell has been going on.

Wow. The R O'S thread appears to have gone made over the last few days. I will have to go back through it and see what the hell has been going on.

It's really not worth the effort!

Well don't do it then LD.

I doubt Tony Blakburn still cares about what happend all those years ago. He has moved on, remarried, had children and is still working. Joanne Ridley (Who played Sullivans daughter) did one more TV show after "Me and My Girl", but i believe it was all downhill from then on.

Say what you like about O Sullivan, but his sitcoms were classics!

N o they weren't and I like the idea of taliking on behalf of Tony Blackburn. Are you his therapist or something?

Robins Nest is the greatest TV show ever

??????????????????

Well don't do it then LD.

Sorry I spoke!! ;) Just trying to be helpful.

Great Comedy

RICHARD O SULLIVAN

TED ROGERS

MICHAEL BARRYMORE

MORCAMBE AND WISE

BENNY HILL

BOB MILLS

..... A FEW OF THE GREATS!

In Bed With Me Dinner was very funny but Ted Rogers??? (he was born in Brixton like myself incidentally). And Barrymore?? What a twunt.

So wind him up back.  Works a treat!

Can't be arsed.....

More like you can't wind us fans up cause you don't have a high enough IQ(neither does Baldie)

Can you get clockwork fans these days, if so how splendid.

Well I must also admit to a fondness for Richard O'Sullivan (Dickie O').

His child actor performances were rather good.

I also have a partiality for the "Man About the House" film version.

....with the strange cameo by Spike Milligan and the shoehorning of Thames studios into the plot ?

Just to try to get the thread back to death related topics. Does anyone have any info on the state of RO'S 's health. If he is in a seriously suicidal state we could make him a good outrider bet for the 2006 list.

Any more info on "unwell members of the entertainment bussiness" who may live at the bottom of ROS's corridor can be posted in the above link.

Guest Alan
Not really accurate to compare Dickie O' (Comedy actor) with Peter Kay (standup comedian).

since when was Peter Kay known for his standup? He is more known for his sitcom "Phoenix nights" and silly one-off TV shows that tell the same joke 50 times.

Guest The Main Man
Great Comedy

RICHARD O SULLIVAN

TED ROGERS

MICHAEL BARRYMORE

MORCAMBE AND WISE

BENNY HILL

BOB MILLS

..... A FEW OF THE GREATS!

In Bed With Me Dinner was very funny but Ted Rogers??? (he was born in Brixton like myself incidentally). And Barrymore?? What a twunt.

Ted Rogers was a real treasure, a top entertainer, hence 3-2-1 ruled for ten years, pulling in the punters week in, week out. The same could be said for the great Michael Barrymore, who was the biggest star in the land untill a couple of years back. Thankfully videos and DVDs are about to take us back to the golden days of television.

Not really accurate to compare Dickie O' (Comedy actor) with Peter Kay (standup comedian).

since when was Peter Kay known for his standup? He is more known for his sitcom "Phoenix nights" and silly one-off TV shows that tell the same joke 50 times.

Afternoon Alan. Have you had a look at the Brinsworth House thread (there is a link in my previous post) I think you will find it interesting.

I'm with Millwall on this. If they were classics how come the two written as a vehicle for him - Robin's Nest and Me and My Girl - haven't seen a DVD release?

Also, this notion of UK Gold attracting young viewers and - therefore - bringing Dickie O to a new audience is garbage. UK Gold and similar channels know the score well enough. Their advertising sales are based on the notion that the vast majority of viewers are 45-60, mainly female, married to men who work more hours than their wives etc.

If young people tune in it's often not as simple as assuming they like what they see. A recent piece of market research carried out by Universal Records and unlikely to be made widely available is worth considering here. They noted a trend amongst teenagers buying copies of Lionel Richie's Greatest Hits on video. Thinking their man had a growing following they did some research hoping to rejig his career. What they found was that Richie's work and in particular the video for 'Hello' are considered hilarious by many sons and daughters of Lionel's fans.

Many of the limited numbers of young viewers of UK Gold think Terry and June and others so pathetic they're funny in ways their makers never considered. After watching the odd episode of the old stuff they go out and spend their own money on The League of Gentlemen, Family Guy and other things they think really funny.

Would the Dickie O fans posting here - I wonder - spend their money to buy shares in their man's work, gambing on a revival to bring in dividends?

Guest Richard Truce
I doubt Tony Blakburn still cares about what happend all those years ago. He has moved on, remarried, had children and is still working. Joanne Ridley (Who played Sullivans daughter) did one more TV show after "Me and My Girl", but i believe it  was all downhill from then on.

Say what you like about O Sullivan, but his sitcoms were classics!

N o they weren't and I like the idea of taliking on behalf of Tony Blackburn. Are you his therapist or something?

O Sullivans show are indeed classics, some of the best entertainment of all-time, and speak for Blackburn if you must, but you're wrong

Guest Dickie O Is KING
I'm with Millwall on this. If they were classics how come the two written as a vehicle for him - Robin's Nest and Me and My Girl - haven't seen a DVD release?

Also, this notion of UK Gold attracting young viewers and - therefore - bringing Dickie O to a new audience is garbage. UK Gold and similar channels know the score well enough. Their advertising sales are based on the notion that the vast majority of viewers are 45-60, mainly female, married to men who work more hours than their wives etc.

If young people tune in it's often not as simple as assuming they like what they see. A recent piece of market research carried out by Universal Records and unlikely to be made widely available is worth considering here. They noted a trend amongst teenagers buying copies of Lionel Richie's Greatest Hits on video. Thinking their man had a growing following they did some research hoping to rejig his career. What they found was that Richie's work and in particular the video for 'Hello' are considered hilarious by many sons and daughters of Lionel's fans.

Many of the limited numbers of young viewers of UK Gold think Terry and June and others so pathetic they're funny in ways their makers never considered. After watching the odd episode of the old stuff they go out and spend their own money on The League of Gentlemen, Family Guy and other things they think really funny.

Would the Dickie O fans posting here - I wonder - spend their money to buy shares in their man's work, gambing on a revival to bring in dividends?

Listen up, There is a world of difference between Lionel R and Dickie O. LR is (alleged to be) a serious singer, Dickie O makes us laugh on purpose. Yes the video for "Hello" is silly, but are you trying to say kids like "Robins Nest" because it was ridiculous? and the original viewers of this show liked it for a different reason? Proves how out of touch you are - the guy in Robin's restaurant who did the washing up had one arm, you can't get more ridiculous than that. Hence, all you have done here is prove the everlasting appeal of Dickie O's great timeless humor!

{{Back of the net!}}

Richard O'Sullivan anagrams:

RANCID HALLO VIRUS

LARVICIDAL ONRUSH

HINDU CAVIAR ROLLS

SILVA URINAL CHORD

VICAR NULLS HAIRDO

:eshock:

Guest Alan
Richard O'Sullivan anagrams:

RANCID HALLO VIRUS

LARVICIDAL ONRUSH

HINDU CAVIAR ROLLS

SILVA URINAL CHORD

VICAR NULLS HAIRDO

Great Comic Anagrams from a great comic genius known to the world as Richard O'Sullivan / Dickie O!

Guest Tony Clifford

Richard O'Sullivan is just a real comic genius, I hope more of his shows make it to DVD.

Guest A Sad Cow

Oooohhh I just love Dickie so much. I want to marry him and have his babies.

Listen up, There is a world of difference between Lionel R and Dickie O. LR is (alleged to be) a serious singer, Dickie O makes us laugh on purpose. Yes the video for "Hello" is silly, but are you trying to say kids like "Robins Nest" because it was ridiculous? and the original viewers of this show liked it for a different reason? Proves how out of touch you are - the guy in Robin's restaurant who did the washing up had one arm, you can't get more ridiculous than that. Hence, all you have done here is prove the everlasting appeal of Dickie O's great timeless humor!

Yeah, well this timeless classic - yet to be released on DVD - isn't exactly gathering new fans - young or old - anymore. Agree about David Kelly though, great actor, bloody brilliant in Waking Ned and still turning in decent performances. As for Dickie O, unless one of you unregistered types - who may be the same fan pretending to be an army - can throw anything other than your blind insistence that yer man is a comic genius into this argument that I keep feeding with facts, it's all a bit one sided isn't it? A few facts: like massive DVD sales, evidence of huge public demand for more re-runs, heaps of praise recently gathered from his fellow professionals or somewhere on the web devoted to him that's hit more regularly than this ghoulish little thread would be interesting. If they existed!

Oooohhh I just love Dickie so much.  I want to marry him and have his babies.

regards,

Hein

Guest Alan

Yeah, well this timeless classic - yet to be released on DVD - isn't exactly gathering new fans - young or old - anymore. Agree about David Kelly though, great actor, bloody brilliant in Waking Ned and still turning in decent performances. As for Dickie O, unless one of you unregistered types - who may be the same fan pretending to be an army - can throw anything other than your blind insistence that yer man is a comic genius into this argument that I keep feeding with facts, it's all a bit one sided isn't it? A few facts: like massive DVD sales, evidence of huge public demand for more re-runs, heaps of praise recently gathered from his fellow professionals or somewhere on the web devoted to him that's hit more regularly than this ghoulish little thread would be interesting. If they existed!

Get real. Your "facts" are worthless. You use DVD sales and media hype as gospel. The only facts that matter is wheat her you like something or not. You can choose to revel in what your told to watch by the media, the people who complied the weekly ten best selling DVDs, etc, but I'll continue to enjoy things I like, such as the classic RO'S situation comedies.