Guest Arnold

Richard O'Sullivan

;):referee: Seems sad that another comic icon has died...i.e Ronnie Barker, it seems all of our comic legends are dropping one by one these days.....Who will be next??? Graham Norton? One can only hope. Well he dies every week of the telly. Barra boom

[shouting removed -- MH]

What the hell has that post got to do with this thread?

;)  :referee: Seems sad that another comic icon has died...i.e Ronnie Barker, it seems all of our comic legends are dropping one by one these days.....Who will be next??? Graham Norton? One can only hope. Well he dies every week of the telly. Barra boom

[shouting removed -- MH]

Perhaps Gogsy reckons Richard O'Sullivan a comic legend :D

;)  :referee: Seems sad that another comic icon has died...i.e Ronnie Barker, it seems all of our comic legends are dropping one by one these days.....Who will be next??? Graham Norton? One can only hope. Well he dies every week of the telly. Barra boom

[shouting removed -- MH]

Perhaps Gogsy reckons Richard O'Sullivan a comic legend :D

Can "Gogsy" really be that dim?

I love the RO'S thread and must admit to completely unjustified protective feeling around it.

Comic legend: No way

Comedy?: well that kind of depends on your sense of humour. There are grim laughs to be had on many of the threads hereabouts.

Guest Mr Magoo

following on by going off on a tangent:

Have these films died?

A day in the death of Joe Egg

Mother Lode

Murder In Texas

Husbands

I remember watching most of these on tv in the seventies or eighties, but they seem to have disappearead off the face of the earth let alone be available on dvd

Is it me?

Does anyone remember an LWT drama series called "Kids" released around the same time as "Agony", I can find no mention of it anywhere.

Just finished watching episode 24 of the world at war which kind of confirms my rants re Japan & the bomb, repeated tomorrow afternoon I believe if anyone is interested.

:sicktherm:

following on by going off on a tangent:

Have these films died?

A day in the death of Joe Egg

Mother Lode

Murder In Texas

Husbands

I remember watching most of these on tv in the seventies or eighties, but they seem to have disappearead off the face of the earth let alone be available on dvd

Is it me?

Does anyone remember an LWT drama series called "Kids" released around the same time as "Agony", I can find no mention of it anywhere.

Just finished watching episode 24 of the world at war which kind of confirms my rants re Japan & the bomb, repeated tomorrow afternoon I believe if anyone is interested.

:sicktherm:

What?

Was RO'S ,like, in any of them?

It's time we debated his best work.

For my money this thread is the first time he's created real pathos and genuine sense of suspense.

That's like saying Devil Woman is your favourite Cliff Richard song. It may be better than the others but - basically - they're all shite.

That's like saying Devil Woman is your favourite Cliff Richard song. It may be better than the others but - basically - they're all shite.

I see the word shite is making a rousing comeback. I concur totally with your Richard analogy. Shite it is. :)

If I had to listen to a Cliff Richard song it would be "Hey Mr. Dream Maker",

but I would need a fair few drinks beforehand.

:)

Is Tony Blackburn the moderator of this thread?

Oooh you're all cruel :)

Hi people

I only found this site in the first place cos I wondered where Richard had so suddenly and completely disappeared to. In the months since then, I've been following it avidly. Thank you for all the belly laughs!

I think R was just one of many victims of a sudden and complete switch that happened when Mrs T got elected. All of a sudden the old 70's comedians who had entertained us for years with their 'sambo' jokes weren't funny anymore, and the Rik Mayalls and Ben Eltons moved in to replace them, with their own brand of humour which is already starting to look dated.

Richard isn't the most high-profile victim - that would be Benny Hill. And what about Barry Evans, star of Adventures Of A Taxi Driver and Mind Your Language, who - ironically - ended his days as a taxi driver and got very little footage when he died, despite the fact he was murdered.

They may not have been particularly talented, but they suited the needs of their times, and when those times changed - suddenly and irrevocably - they were all cast adrift.

I was never a fan of Richard's comedies, but as a child I was a huge fan of Dick Turpin - which I own on DVD and it's still a great laugh even now - and as far as I can see he's just another victim of a cultural shift which virtually nobody from his time could adapt to.

Robin Nedwell wasn't exactly telling jokes until the moment he died either.

Pray for the soul of Robin Askwith. Wherever he is now, he must be telling his nurses, 'I remember the time...'

'Pointless ranter'? Well, CHEERS! :)

We've all suffered equally. :)

I was never a fan of Richard's comedies, but as a child I was a huge fan of Dick Turpin - which I own on DVD...

Can I come and stay at your house, please?

Spiders, no problem..

Heavens, I haven't seen "Dick Turpin" since I was was a majorette!

I certainly fancied R.O'S with his cloak and mask!

Thanks for the link Tempus. Mr Askwith seems to have been one of the few who knew that the times had caught up with him, and sodded off to summier climes rather than stay in Blighty and become a taxi driver or an alcoholic

Hi people

I only found this site in the first place cos I wondered where Richard had so suddenly and completely disappeared to. In the months since then, I've been following it avidly. Thank you for all the belly laughs!

I think R was just one of many victims of a sudden and complete switch that happened when Mrs T got elected. All of a sudden the old 70's comedians who had entertained us for years with their 'sambo' jokes weren't funny anymore, and the Rik Mayalls and Ben Eltons moved in to replace them, with their own brand of humour which is already starting to look dated.

Richard isn't the most high-profile victim - that would be Benny Hill. And what about Barry Evans, star of Adventures Of A Taxi Driver and Mind Your Language, who - ironically - ended his days as a taxi driver and got very little footage when he died, despite the fact he was murdered.

They may not have been particularly talented, but they suited the needs of their times, and when those times changed - suddenly and irrevocably - they were all cast adrift.

I was never a fan of Richard's comedies, but as a child I was a huge fan of Dick Turpin - which I own on DVD and it's still a great laugh even now - and as far as I can see he's just another victim of a cultural shift which virtually nobody from his time could adapt to.

Robin Nedwell wasn't exactly telling jokes until the moment he died either.

Pray for the soul of Robin Askwith. Wherever he is now, he must be telling his nurses, 'I remember the time...'

Richard O'Sullivan's mian interest to this site, I submit, is fourfold.

1) "Oh how the mighty have fallen"

It is unfortunate but the idea of a ,frankly, third rate talent having fallen on very hard times gets a number of DL'ers excited.

2)According to various posts in this forum and according to personal anecdotal evidence he was/is a bit of an egotistical sod and so there may be more than a touch of schadenfreud in his winding up here..

3) He provides a useful link to "there" (^) and keeps the various other inmates , some of whom we quite like, in our thoughts.

4) He was apparently (emphasise aparently) put in Brinsworth House due to alcoholism, suicidal tendencies, and some kind of nervous breakdown and so is a viable candidate for future DL's if we can get any solid news on his state of health.