Guest IYG

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, How long can they Carry On?

Guest IYG

Is it odd that I don't remember starting this thread?

About as odd as the fact I DO remember starting it.

Guest Loral

it will be robert frost

it will be robert frost

Huh? ;)

regards,

Hein

This Robert Frost?

Not sure what he's got to do with CSN&Y

CSNY planning to be side by side on stage at the annual Bridge School benefit gig hosted and organised by Neil to raise money for a school he founded. He has two sons by two different mothers both with disabilities caused by cerebral palsy. The odds against it are massive and the school helps kids with such problems.

CSNY planning to be side by side on stage at the annual Bridge School benefit gig hosted and organised by Neil to raise money for a school he founded. He has two sons by two different mothers both with disabilities caused by cerebral palsy. The odds against it are massive and the school helps kids with such problems.

That's nice :ph34r:

Indeed it is. The careers dept at the school has placed a dozen human paperweights in offices within the last month!

Not sure about the odds being massive. Babies who are born prematurely sometimes get cerebral palsy.

Indeed it is. The careers dept at the school has placed a dozen human paperweights in offices within the last month!

That's not.

Janeo: Can't say I'm an expert on cerebral palsy but - whatever the ins and outs of Neil Young's case - the odds were so large against him ending up in the situation that his fame has spread to medical text books in the USA.

Janeo: Can't say I'm an expert on cerebral palsy but - whatever the ins and outs of Neil Young's case - the odds were so large against him ending up in the situation that his fame has spread to medical text books in the USA.

I see.

Yeah, and whilst I'm doing the anorak bit Neil Young also has a daughter - Amber Jean - who's not afflicted with anything, other than a famous dad, obviously.

Crosby and Nash did Later with Jools Holland last week, finally got round to watching it last night.

Crosby, it must be said, looks like a beached whale crossbred with Death, warmed up, Nash is amongst the best preserved rockers of his generation so they make an odd pair. Two of Nash could probably stand in Crosby's strides these days.. S'funny though, they sound f****n' great.

i have a soft spot for Nash (even graced him with a capital). read crosby's autobiography years ago - well, most of it was oral history and biography as he couldn't remember much - and Nash was a total diamond: paid for croby's kids to go to school, paid for crosby's rehab, was there when everyone else gave up. well, either a diamond or a mug... he's always been a bit useless though - have you seen all those old clips of the hollies where he stands there with a guitar that isn't plugged in? songwriting and harmonies only, our graham. he does seem to have been the glue for CSNY and its combinations over the years - whether that's a good or bad thing i leave to you.

I love CSNY - those harmonies just rip through you.....

Crosby and Nash did Later with Jools Holland last week, finally got round to watching it last night.

Crosby, it must be said, looks like a beached whale crossbred with Death, warmed up, Nash is amongst the best preserved rockers of his generation so they make an odd pair. Two of Nash could probably stand in Crosby's strides these days.. S'funny though, they sound f****n' great.

I think they were on with David Gilmour a few weeks ago. The best bit was watching Nash dance like he was on E throughout Gilmour's 3 hour guitar solo whilst Crosby stood still with a vacant look in his eyes, he looked like he'd forgotten where he was.

Take the above about Nash, his personal 'Greatest Hits' would be a bit of a chore to listen through. I'd argue the merits of Another Sleep Song to anyone and a few from the CSNY/CSN/CN and Hollies catalogue. The one place he'll out-perform his band mates, I reckon, is in the number of years he stays alive.

Take the above about Nash, his personal 'Greatest Hits' would be a bit of a chore to listen through. I'd argue the merits of Another Sleep Song to anyone and a few from the CSNY/CSN/CN and Hollies catalogue. The one place he'll out-perform his band mates, I reckon, is in the number of years he stays alive.

You mean you don't consider "Love the one you're with" to be the definitive musical and lyrical triumph of our time?

I heard that Steven Stills has become so addled by legal and illegal narcotics over the years that he is convinced that he saw action in Vietnam in the '60s. Confirm / deny anyone?

You mean you don't consider "Love the one you're with" to be the definitive musical and lyrical triumph of our time?

I don't consider it a Graham Nash song.

As for Stills, that story came from an interview with Neil Young. I don't he's that addled now, he was in that state at the worst point of his cocaine use. However, party animal living has left his body bloated, he doesn't exactly sound erudite when interviewed and it's not entirely clear how healthy he is all round.

I heard that Steven Stills has become so addled by legal and illegal narcotics over the years that he is convinced that he saw action in Vietnam in the '60s. Confirm / deny anyone?

I don't know whether he is still claiming such but he certainly used to say in the coke-addled 70s and 80s that he was in 'Nam.

As for Crosby looking like a " beached whale crossbred with Death", he's looked like that for at least the last 20 years. Good for at least a few more years I'd say. Will probably outlive the rest of The Byrds.

Will probably outlive the rest of The Byrds.

Doubt that Vinegar Tits. Even if we limit it to the ones that matter - i.e. those who were thereabouts in the classic sixties line ups and wrote some of the key songs; Roger McGuinn and Chris Hillman conspiciously cleaned their acts up earlier and more effectively than the big lad. They're still on their first livers, not suffering diabetes and and not asking their hearts to pump enough blood to keep twenty odd stone fed.

I think they'll both go to Crosby's funeral.

Missed us a trick or two this week. Crosby turned 65 on Monday, he hadn't a F*****g clue when he turned 45 and 50 was a miracle he managed to appreciate. Dunno how he feels about this. But in a few hours he starts a US tour with the rest of the old gang. Like the discussions on the PJ Proby thread this week, they'd be uninsurable if any of them showed obvious signs of impending death.

Missed us a trick or two this week. Crosby turned 65 on Monday, he hadn't a F*****g clue when he turned 45 and 50 was a miracle he managed to appreciate. Dunno how he feels about this. But in a few hours he starts a US tour with the rest of the old gang. Like the discussions on the PJ Proby thread this week, they'd be uninsurable if any of them showed obvious signs of impending death.

Nash has led the more virtuous life. Wiry bugger too. I fancy the running order will be Young, Crosby, Stills and then Nash. With at least 15 years spanning their deaths. My guilty secret is that I thought that they were all vary talented and I like their music. Oddly, their life expectancy seeems to be inversely proportional to their individual talent.