themaninblack

Death Anniversary Thread

Eva Braun same day as Adolf Eva-Braun.jpg

Decent reich she's got there...

• Like 1

Ayrton Senna died 20 years ago today in a crash at Imola.

13964414_ori.jpg

• Like 1

And he was basically dead before the car even came to a rest after surfing across the gravel, so don't be fooled by the bollocks where they tried to resuscitate him and flew him off to hospital!

• Like 1

And he was basically dead before the car even came to a rest after surfing across the gravel, so don't be fooled by the bollocks where they tried to resuscitate him and flew him off to hospital!

Oh definitely. I remember watching it at the time, saw him totally limp when he was dragged out and we all thought "he's dead."

• Like 1

You must have been watching on Eurosport then 'cause BBC cut away from it and showed shots of concerned onlookers in the pit-lane because of the amount of blood (not that I personally remember, didn't watch F1 at the time). I think Murray Walker thought he was dead too by the way his voice dropped on the video...

I know this is Deathlist but it's still quite offensive to the squeamish so if you want to know the gory details, I've put this in spoiler tags.

One of his front wheels came back and hit him square in the head at very high speed, and the broken piece of suspension arm attached to it pierced his helmet and went into his head. I can't remember whether it was through his eye socket, or through his forehead. Also, I think most of the weight of the wheel must have hit his head too because I recently read he had brain matter coming out of his nose. Nice innit?

So yeah there was no chance and they pretty much only flew him away cause they didn't want someone to officially die at the racetrack I guess.

• Like 1

Well it was 20 years ago. Memories do play tricks but I can certainly remember a very prone body being put in an ambulance...

• Like 1

Longtime leader of Yugoslavia, Josip Broz Tito, died today in 1980. He was President (and pretty much dictator) of Yugoslavia from 1953 until his death. Although as far as I know he didn't try to genocide anybody or anything like that.

Tito.jpg

Look at that, for fuck's sake. Looks like he's wearing the Nazi away kit.

Also, fruity comedy actor Dom DeLuise died on May 4 back in 2009.

6026686Actor-Dom-DeLuise-Posters-1.jpg

You might remember him from his brief part in Blazing Saddles as the film director who was directing the musical production that gets interrupted. He was in a few other Mel Brooks films, including the voice of "Pizza the Hut" in the high-brow comedy masterpiece Spaceballs. Also he was in all sorts of other junk like "Cannonball Run" and god knows what else.

The fearless Canadian F1 driver Gilles Villeneuve died on May 8 1982 at the Zolder circuit in Belgium, in one of the most violent and spectacular crashes ever in F1.

207_Gilles_VILLENEUVE_450.jpg

And also sci-fi author Robert A. Heinlein died today in 1988, at the age of 80.

Heinlein.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=

He wrote the novel on which the popular 1990s sci-fi film Starship Troopers (directed by the same guy who made Total Recall and Robocop) was based.

• Like 1

A day late but yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the death of Labour leader John Smith.

• Like 1

Who was his successor?

Columnist and TV personality Dr. Joyce Brothers died one year ago today aged 85.

dr-joyce-brothers-2.jpg

Who was his successor?

Oh, some berk or other...

Who was his successor?

Oh, some berk or other...

Margaret Becket!

The so-called Lockerbie Bomber (but everyone knows he didn't really do it) Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi died on May 20 2012 from cancer.

Al-Megrahi_1463526c.jpg

Also 1 year before that, American wrestler Randy Savage died of a heart attack while out driving with his wife. "Oooooh, noooooooo!"

l.jpg

Doing some reseach on another topic, I just realised that today in 1945, so 69 years ago, Heinrich Himmler topped himself by swallowing cyanide, aged 44.

r-MICHAEL-KARKOC-MINNESOTA-NAZI-large570.jpg

Himmler is the bloke in the middle with glasses.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Eric Morecambe died 30 years ago today aged 58...

_63774990_63774163.jpg

s9qRRkA.png

Echo And The Bunnymen Drummer Pete de Freitas died 25 years ago today in a motorcycle accident

He was 27

• Like 1

Old-school English stand-up comedian Bernard Manning (b. 1930) died on this day (18 June) in 2007, due to a kidney condition.

r91uti.jpgbernardmanning_2.jpg

j0duf4.jpg

He was of course notorious because his act continued to include racist jokes, even as Britain went PC in the 80s and onwards. Hence he wasn't really on TV much for the last couple of decades of his life. Although happily for him, his spirit now lives on through Justin Bieber.

Here's how ITV reported his death:

• Like 1

s9qRRkA.png

Echo And The Bunnymen Drummer Pete de Freitas died 25 years ago today in a motorcycle accident

He was 27

Blimey, he looks exactly like Ian McCulloch!

James Gandolfini AKA Tony Soprano died a year ago today of a heart attack at age 51.

james-gandolfini.jpg

Michael Jackson died 5 years ago tonight aged 50...

music_michael_jackson_3_0.jpg

Yep. Deaths don't come much bigger than that, I thought he was a goner as soon as they first said heart attack. I remember it like it was..... 6 months ago. I was gonna say "yesterday" but that would be silly, I never liked him that much, and besides he owns the rights to it.

He was hit by, struck by, a huge overdose, administered by a not-so-smooth criminal - but he couldn't beat it!

Also, how about a couple of pics that show how we all truly remember him:

_38487075_jackson_baby300.jpgmichael-jackson-mj-300x451.jpg

Farrah Fawcett also died 5 years ago today at age 62.

38733716_124606020622.jpg

Farrah Fawcett also died 5 years ago today at age 62.

38733716_124606020622.jpg

Farrah who?
  • Like 1

Guest Guest

One of the most famous deaths in history happened 100 years ago today..the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, which led to world war one !